Back to Acoustat 1+1's after 13 years of SET and Horns - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th April 2014, 07:22 AM   #41
lpd is offline lpd  Canada
diyAudio Member

I'm using an FM Acoustics 600A on my Xs with fantastic results.
Old 26th April 2014, 02:29 PM   #42
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The H2O is a 250A ICEPower Module with a linear power supply (monster tranny, rectifier and nice big reservoir caps - not unlike like a Class A amp power supply) as opposed to a SMPS that are in the ASP series....
Whoops, I meant a and ICEPower 500A Module not a 250A...I may build one with the monster Linear power supply to try it out...
Old 26th April 2014, 03:26 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

I pull out my most powerful tube amplifier in my collection: 845 Parallel push pull amplifier, 100W pure class A to power the Acoustat/Tad2001/horn system. Plenty power to drive the 2+2 with authority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpd View Post
I'm using an FM Acoustics 600A on my Xs with fantastic results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 845pp2.jpg (211.0 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg 845pp3.jpg (202.4 KB, 115 views)
Old 26th April 2014, 04:49 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

JohnB65, Apogee Scintilla 1 ohm burnt out a few Krell S250 in thier day, my H20-S250 being going strong for 6 yrs now , and Acoustats are a lot easier to drive than Scintilla's.
Old 6th July 2014, 09:06 AM   #45
bsy020 is offline bsy020  Israel
diyAudio Member

Default Really one of a kind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unison845 View Post
I pull out my most powerful tube amplifier in my collection: 845 Parallel push pull amplifier, 100W pure class A to power the Acoustat/Tad2001/horn system. Plenty power to drive the 2+2 with authority.
Those are very impressive monoblocks. Great piece of work.
May I ask which OPT model did you use?
I searched the tamura catalog and all their OPTs are rated for 500V DC.
Also what brand are those rectangular paper in oil capacitors?
Old 7th July 2014, 12:51 PM   #46
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

Delta,

Quote:
Apogee Scintilla 1 ohm burnt out a few Krell S250
So it was not a Krell KSA-250? Only the MDA/KSA would run that 1 ohm load happily, all others likely would not last very long.
Old 7th July 2014, 10:33 PM   #47
EStat is offline EStat  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgtrio View Post
Hello to everyone. After 13 years of several horn and SET rigs I decided to go back to Acoustats which I enjoyed from 1986 to 2001. I had both Acoustat 2+2's which I sold and Acoustat 1+1's which I kept.
I'm a long term Acoustat guy as well beginning with the model X in '77. Went to Monitor 4 and eventually to 2+2s which I used for slightly over twenty years. Honestly, I got tired of the head-in-a-vise imaging and replaced them with Sound Lab U-1s. Two years ago, however, I found a pair of 1+1s cheap, for the garage system. I replaced the socks with new spandex ones and recently had Roy Esposito rebuild the transformers. That really opened up top end resolution. While they aren't as efficient and don't have quite the bass extension of the 2+2, I think they image better. A powered sub supplements output below 50 hz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgtrio View Post
I wanted to get some opinions on some of the high current amps that you would recommend with the 2+2's. ..Any other insights would be appreciated.
Other brands to consider are Threshold and Pass Labs as they are specifically designed to handle reactive loads. I've been using a Stasis 3 with Acoustats for over thirty years.

Hide this!Advertise here!