Back to Acoustat 1+1's after 13 years of SET and Horns

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2005
Paid Member
The H2O is a 250A ICEPower Module with a linear power supply (monster tranny, rectifier and nice big reservoir caps - not unlike like a Class A amp power supply) as opposed to a SMPS that are in the ASP series....

Whoops, I meant a and ICEPower 500A Module not a 250A...I may build one with the monster Linear power supply to try it out...

I pull out my most powerful tube amplifier in my collection: 845 Parallel push pull amplifier, 100W pure class A to power the Acoustat/Tad2001/horn system. Plenty power to drive the 2+2 with authority.

I'm using an FM Acoustics 600A on my Xs with fantastic results.

Attachments

• 845pp2.jpg
    845pp2.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 188
  • 845pp3.jpg
    845pp3.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 182
Really one of a kind

I pull out my most powerful tube amplifier in my collection: 845 Parallel push pull amplifier, 100W pure class A to power the Acoustat/Tad2001/horn system. Plenty power to drive the 2+2 with authority.

Those are very impressive monoblocks. Great piece of work.
May I ask which OPT model did you use?
I searched the tamura catalog and all their OPTs are rated for 500V DC.
Also what brand are those rectangular paper in oil capacitors?

Hello to everyone. After 13 years of several horn and SET rigs I decided to go back to Acoustats which I enjoyed from 1986 to 2001. I had both Acoustat 2+2's which I sold and Acoustat 1+1's which I kept.
I'm a long term Acoustat guy as well beginning with the model X in '77. Went to Monitor 4 and eventually to 2+2s which I used for slightly over twenty years. Honestly, I got tired of the head-in-a-vise imaging and replaced them with Sound Lab U-1s. Two years ago, however, I found a pair of 1+1s cheap, for the garage system. I replaced the socks with new spandex ones and recently had Roy Esposito rebuild the transformers. That really opened up top end resolution. While they aren't as efficient and don't have quite the bass extension of the 2+2, I think they image better. A powered sub supplements output below 50 hz.

I wanted to get some opinions on some of the high current amps that you would recommend with the 2+2's. ..Any other insights would be appreciated.
Other brands to consider are Threshold and Pass Labs as they are specifically designed to handle reactive loads. I've been using a Stasis 3 with Acoustats for over thirty years.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.