Back to Acoustat 1+1's after 13 years of SET and Horns - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th April 2014, 07:56 PM   #21
blgtrio is offline blgtrio  United States
diyAudio Member

Default room size

Hi DeltaStar, I am going to send a picture of my room which is 21' long x 14' wide with 8' ceilings. I took a picture earlier but the bay window in my basement let too much light in so the speakers came out too dark. Later tonite will be better.
Old 19th April 2014, 08:32 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Default 1+1's

1+1's in my 21' x 14' x 8' room. I have the 1+1's 4 ft. forward of the rear wall ( bay window) 2 ft. from the side walls. They are 10 ft. apart and my seating position is 10 ft. away
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5432.jpg (543.0 KB, 133 views)
Old 20th April 2014, 12:02 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

blgtrio,
I tried parallel 1+1 and 2+2, after playing with the setup, the best sound is when the 2+2 position straight ahead, the 1+1 on the outside pointing straight at the listening position. This way the soundstage is very big, the Acoustat beaming problem is much improved, the highs are all there.

Still with the TAD2001/horn and 1+1, the sound is much superior in term of frequency balanced, imaging. The detail level of the TAD surpass the Acoustat, and is clearly heard. I will find a way to integrate the TAD/horn with 1+1 and 2+2, the width of this room is barely wide enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgtrio View Post
Unison845, have you played the 1+1's and rhe 2+2's together at the same time. It would be like having model 6's. I'll bet the wall of sound is huge and the bass is shaking the room. I used to run my 2+2's and 1+1's together and it was awesome. I'm looking forward to doing it again.
Old 20th April 2014, 12:06 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

This is how it is positioned.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140419_164346_resized.jpg (510.8 KB, 125 views)
Old 20th April 2014, 12:27 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Unison, if you toe in the 2+2 just a little bit how does that effect the sound quality? When you run the Tad2001/ horn you cross that at 900 and above , then the Acoustat from 900 and below is that correct? Are you using a passive or active crossover? What slope are you using?
Old 20th April 2014, 12:30 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Unison, Your narrow space probably causes some issues with the bass. Does it sound to thick or heavy in the bass? The midbass may be congested as well.
Old 20th April 2014, 04:03 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

When I toe in the 2+2 the soundstage shrink, when I toe in just the 1+1 I still get big soundstage.

I crossed the tad2001/ horn 12db/oct LR abd use the futterman for the 1+1, 10w Se845 for the Ta. It sounded much better than the 1+1 or the 1 and 2 together.

In this small room the bass did not sounded heavy nor boomy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgtrio View Post
Unison, if you toe in the 2+2 just a little bit how does that effect the sound quality? When you run the Tad2001/ horn you cross that at 900 and above , then the Acoustat from 900 and below is that correct? Are you using a passive or active crossover? What slope are you using?
Old 20th April 2014, 10:27 AM   #28
tyu is offline tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

When i had the 1+1s 2+2s with the 2+2s .....i had to use a Apogee Duetta sig ribbon mid-tweeter with them to get the sound i liket..........but then later after geting the Acoustats M2,M3,M4.......i wounted all of them to sound like my 1+1s just more.....not diff.....

So i just put a frames togather that let me put 2-9" panels side by side flat!.......... not with the 30%arke......an WOW the sound of the 1+1 was back but better....so then i went to 3ea 9"panels flat....14" off the floor so the cen of the panels is at ear level an bego...... BIG soundstage......great bass......like a big 1+1 but better off the floor

The 2+2s sound great if you have a 30' x 40' room.....my room is only 18'x 25.....

in your room if you can put the on the long wall.....
an then you can move them 15"apart an you well get better sound.....well its better too me
Good luck have fun......

Long live Acoustats............'
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ksl100 014.jpg (894.9 KB, 106 views)

Last edited by tyu; 20th April 2014 at 10:35 AM.
Old 20th April 2014, 08:58 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Acoustat 2+2's I found never worked well in small rooms, they somehow cancelled out the sound, required extreme amounts of power to get any amount of sound pressure level, I was throughly disgusted with them and kept them in storage for many yrs trying them out in different rooms as I moved around, Finally I found a room they work in, a room many others such as Apogee's and Infinity's don't fair so well, The change in performance was mind blowing, they fill the room easy at low power levels, ex same equipment, in a 15x21 room preamp was at 2oclock and they sounded smothered, in this room they breathe with excitement at 10 oclock and louder SPL sitting 60' away, odd to as you walk closer the SPL lowers as well, many people that have heard them can't understand why drop off as you get closer, they have tremendous bass power at a far distance, you can feel it, I've seen 20hz on my sound anaylizer, on Hell freezes over. Not to shabby. Al
Attached Images
File Type: jpg acoustat.jpg (129.9 KB, 96 views)
Old 21st April 2014, 12:23 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Hi Al, I'm glad you shared that info. I would never have imagined the SPL could be stronger further away. Tremendous bass power at a far distance. WOW!

Hide this!Advertise here!