Soliciting ideas for an ESL Soundbar - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st February 2014, 01:40 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Thanks el'Ol,
I had not heard of this Bessel series speaker arrangement before reading your post. It's very interesting; although I think it will take me a while to understand how it works.
Old 2nd February 2014, 11:04 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

I have known of the Bessel arrangement for quite some time but I have never tried it.

When I built my 2x3-6.5" woofer box in 1994 I had considered adding a few more to try it out when I noticed the many lobes it produced at the higher frequency's.
But I never did.

At the time (mid 1980's) it was mentioned in one of my big books but it didn't go into any great detail as it was a new thing and it was kept a bit under the radar because it had just been patented (or pending) then.
I still have that book here somewhere.

Through the years later I still have had a difficult time trying to find any more detailed info on such a system or any examples of ones whom tried it showing working arrays that they have actually built.

I have found nothing so far.

I have seen the link that was posted but it was about all that I could find even for just a few years ago.

But, It wouldn't surprize me any, if it is actually being used in big Stadium PA systems.

I had thought about giving this a try with many small ESL panels but it would be quite very time consuming to build enough panels and I think that it would only be beneficial for a very very large array for whatever type of driver one should decide to use.

jer
Old 28th February 2014, 12:34 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

I just found Don Keele's paper on Bessel Array's !!!

6012 - Effective Performance of Bessel Arrays

jer

Hide this!Advertise here!