Apogee and Magnepan woofer panels - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th January 2014, 01:35 PM   #1
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Apogee and Magnepan woofer panels

Hey all, just noticed that magnepan and Apogee woofers panels are a bit different in their placement of conductor - Magnepan has conductor wire directly between the N-S magnets, while Apogee has centerline of the ribbon conductors directly over the edges of the N-S magnets.

I would guess that Apogee design not having the ribbon conductor centerline directly between the N-S magnets would compromise their performance, and make it non linear?

See pics...
Attached Images
File Type: png US4550228-3.png (249.4 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg Planar_01.jpg (38.2 KB, 161 views)
Old 25th January 2014, 01:48 PM   #2
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Apogee's were superior sounding in every way , they were sued by Magnapan for patent infringement and Magnapan won. Both setups with mags on one side would suffer from NL, (maggie) current , push pull setup is superior in regards to NL ....
Old 25th January 2014, 02:03 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yes, I agree a Push-Pull would be ideal, but maggies and Apogees were more like Push-Don't Push? I was referring to having the conductor directly between the poles as opposed to a bit off to the side...

Anyway, Magnepan sued Apogee over the Diva True Ribbon Tweeter design, I don't think anything else was in question...

What would be lost/gained if instead of a ribbon on Apogee panel, you had an Aluminum wire like magnepan?
Old 25th January 2014, 02:28 PM   #4
tyu is offline tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

So was the Diva True Ribbon tweeter.....free hanging??... like all others Apogees..........YES!

Magnepans socaled true ribbon is tacket down evey 4"s....i hear an see a big diff. in the setups...but i gess foil is foil............
I have Maggy here an there a lot of fun...but there in that 75-80% at best to full ribbon or ESLs....but there not even close to the any Apogee............

Last edited by tyu; 25th January 2014 at 02:31 PM.
Old 25th January 2014, 03:13 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I wouldn't call it a true hanging ribbon, it is glued to a foam dampner about every foot and half or so.
Old 25th January 2014, 03:42 PM   #6
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by john65b View Post
Yes, I agree a Push-Pull would be ideal, but maggies and Apogees were more like Push-Don't Push? I was referring to having the conductor directly between the poles as opposed to a bit off to the side...

Anyway, Magnepan sued Apogee over the Diva True Ribbon Tweeter design, I don't think anything else was in question...

What would be lost/gained if instead of a ribbon on Apogee panel, you had an Aluminum wire like magnepan?
I thought the new Maggies were push/pull ...?

Edit: nope i was not able to see if so from their website , IMO the apps had superior bass , with more drive with magnets behind, you will get more of a twisting motion the way maggie has them ...

Last edited by a.wayne; 25th January 2014 at 03:54 PM.
Old 25th January 2014, 04:37 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

The 20 series are push-pull (have perforated sheets on both sides of the diaphragm), but the 3.x and 2.x and 1.x series are still all push - don't push.
Old 25th January 2014, 05:38 PM   #8
Sin Bin

Ok, thats what i thought .....
Old 25th January 2014, 08:28 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hey, I have been thinking about the Apogee Buzz and have a theory...

I think the buzz is from the speaker being over driven - look at this way - Kapton shrinks as it gets hot - I have read 8% in 15 minutes at 70C (155F). Now I have put my hands on ribbons and they can get pretty toasty - when the Aluminum gets hot it expands, while the Kaption shrinks, bowing the ribbon. Once cool, the aluminum returns back to normal, while the Kapton remains shrunk. This bowing appears as wrinkles that I think can cause the buzz more than the sides slapping on the blocks when the foam disintegrates.

What do you all think??

Last edited by john65b; 25th January 2014 at 08:31 PM.
Old 25th January 2014, 10:30 PM   #10
WrineX is offline WrineX  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Only midrange panels of high end magnepan are push pull. Not the bass! The amount of air that should pass the holes is to high any way or dampening to high. Maggie is using the resonance to extend low freq.

Hide this!Advertise here!