Martin Logan Monolith III Transformer Specs - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd January 2014, 04:32 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Hmmmm.....UPS to me would be $400 to $600 !!!!

I could drive that myself for less than 1/2 to 1/4 that !!

Here are a few things to consider if you want to create your own step-up transformer and lots of other good info in this thread as well,

ESL transformer question

jer

Last edited by geraldfryjr; 22nd January 2014 at 04:44 AM.
Old 22nd January 2014, 11:29 AM   #12
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

I have some Acoustat HF and LF transformers that are sitting around. Let me know if you want em....
Old 23rd January 2014, 10:32 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

I don't know if the dayton wright are really full-range.

I look today at the Plitron toroid 1:75 transformers, also "full-range" but with 0,2 (+0,82 serie resistor) Ohm at 20kHz i can't call that full-range under normal home conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldfryjr View Post
There you go...Perfect !!!!
And full range too !!!

jer
Old 23rd January 2014, 11:30 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

From all of the specs I have read on them they are, and go down to at least 40hz,

DW Electrostatic Speakers XG-8 Mk III

FWIW

jer
Old 23rd January 2014, 03:37 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

What is the transformer impedance vs frequency response?

Quote:
From all of the specs I have read on them they are, and go down to at least 40hz,

DW Electrostatic Speakers XG-8 Mk III

FWIW

jer
Old 23rd January 2014, 04:22 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Your guess is as good as mine, I didn't design it !!

It would be nice if someone took the time to measure such transformers for the DIY community.

But I am sure that if the shipping doesn't kill ya, it may very well be a better alternative to stacking up 8 power toroids that will only get you down to 140Hz for 42Vrms.

The impedance and FR is specified on the web site as 32hz to 24Khz +/- 4db at 80Kohms to an amplifier rating of as low as 4 ohms nominal, from a minimum of 60watts to a maximum of 2400watts!
I would expect that out of 39 lbs of iron.

FWIW

jer
Old 23rd January 2014, 04:38 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

I designed (esl)transformers and i would love to see the real specifications before i say anything about it. Till so far i have not enough information.

Quote:
Your guess is as good as mine, I didn't design it !!

It would be nice if someone took the time to measure such transformers for the DIY community.

But I am sure that if the shipping doesn't kill ya, it may very well be a better alternative to stacking up 8 power toroids that will only get you down to 140Hz for 42Vrms.

The impedance and FR is specified on the web site as 32hz to 24Khz +/- 4db at 80Kohms to an amplifier rating of as low as 4 ohms nominal, from a minimum of 60watts to a maximum of 2400watts!
I would expect that out of 39 lbs of iron.

FWIW

jer
Old 26th January 2014, 10:09 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

when you say that in order to get a lower frequency response down to ~150Hz instead of only down to ~300Hz (those numbers are just examples) that it may be necessary to use 4 transformers per ESL instead of 2 per ESL...would you please explain that father.

For example, do you take 2 of the transformers and hook them up together in parallel and wire the other 2 in parallel also and then wire one of those paralleled pairs in series with the other paralleled pair?

I guess I need help understanding how the wiring would be done if I double the number of xformers in a given design.
Old 27th January 2014, 09:17 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Yes, it would take twice as many transformers to get down to 1/2 the frequency in general.
I explained this in more greater detail in your other thread here,

ESL transformer question

Yes, your second question is correct almost, There are several configurations that you can use to achieve the same ratio, but there are a only few that will give you the best overall performance as well, Those reasoning's I had touched on in the other thread.

The configuration that I was referring to is like this one, But only using 8 of the 15V transformers I had mentioned earlier,

ESL transformer question

This would give you 920V/15V at 1:61.33 step up ratio and be able to handle 140Hz at 42Vrms as well as keep the transformers self capacitance low.

Here is another good recent discussion,

ESL hybrid

If you were to limit your lowest crossover frequency of interest to above 300hz then you would not need as many cores.
You may be able to get by using only 2 cores but 4 would give you better performance out of your amplifier for reasons I have stated in the other thread.

jer

Last edited by geraldfryjr; 27th January 2014 at 09:21 AM.
Old 6th February 2014, 07:19 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

i been reading through the posts y'all suggested and indeed it's helped me make some progress but I'm nowhere close yet. Is there a concise way to explain the formula or to list the parameters that are used to estimate (or calculate) the frequency response of a step up transformer (or a set of transformers wired together). In other words, when I thumbing through a product catalog that offers thousands of transformers, what do i need to look for to help me determine what the frequency response would be of the one i'm looking at or how to determine how many of them I would need.

The following hypo might help me. What would the hypothetical specs be of a single transformer that can achieve the same frequency response as eight (8) combined transformers? The frequency response I seek is ~150Hz to 20,000Hz. In other words, if I can achieve that frequency response with eight transformers per panel, what kind of hypothetical transformer can achieve the same performance with just a single transformer?

I'm just trying to consolidate the various readings into one contiguous coherent thought.

Hide this!Advertise here!