1/8 Sphere Electrostat Driver - Possible? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th December 2013, 04:43 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 1/8 Sphere Electrostat Driver - Possible?

And if so, how large? I think that pretty much sums it up.
Old 15th December 2013, 07:02 AM   #2
Calvin is offline Calvin  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi,

if You can solve the problems of creating the complex 3D shape with lowest dimensional tolerance I'd say it'd be possible.
But other than for placing the device snuggly into a rooms corner I don't see any positive for such a shape.
As a corner is the worst place to place a planar driver, I guess no one has wasted more than a second to that idea.
A very crude Idea. I think that pretty much sums it up

jauu
Calvin

jauu
Calvin
Old 15th December 2013, 07:10 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
But other than for placing the device snuggly into a rooms corner I don't see any positive for such a shape.
As a corner is the worst place to place a planar driver, I guess no one has wasted more than a second to that idea.
A very crude Idea. I think that pretty much sums it up
A perfect 1/8 sphere in a corner acts like point source in 4 pi space. What's crude about that? Nothing. My question is if it can be built, 'cause I'm not familiar with this area of DIY.
Old 15th December 2013, 07:29 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi,

due to the ESL membrane beeing acoustically transparent and the impossibility to null out the early reflections, the sound will be crappy.
But then ... close to invisible and crappy sound ... maybe some Bose fans could like it.
Second, the idea of a point source as an ideal only applies to theoretical world thinking.
In a practical world and under real room conditions, it is neither doable nor something to wish for.

jauu
Calvin
Old 15th December 2013, 07:37 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Complimentary early reflections that don't need to be dealt with is kind of at the core of the concept of a point source in a corner. Do you have any comments related to the question?
Old 15th December 2013, 09:26 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I was talking about the early reflections from the panelīs backside into the corner and back through the panel, not the reflections from the wallīs boundaries to the frontside.

jauu
Calvin
Old 15th December 2013, 12:45 PM   #7
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

I have thought of this concept many times. A stator Balloon inside a diaphragm balloon inside another stator balloon...now if I could only make it....
Old 15th December 2013, 09:59 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
I was talking about the early reflections from the panelīs backside into the corner and back through the panel, not the reflections from the wallīs boundaries to the frontside.
Oh, I see. I think that can be dealt with enough, might need to have an opening behind the driver, but doesn't really matter if it can't be built effectively.
Old 16th December 2013, 09:40 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I wish I had the admirable restraint Calvin shows in his replies to dumptruck.

The Dayton-Wright ESLs, where each panel was fashioned from 8 cells, formed a section of a sphere. Maybe like 1/20, dunno. Wright argued for the benefit of a point source... maybe just so he could claim a patent for commercial-exploitation reasons.

For sure, benefits to dispersion by splaying the cells a bit even if the theory is, well, theoretical.

I recall some chit-chat about absorbing rear waves from ESLs. I fashioned some meter-square sheets of fiberglass board to sit a few inches behind my meter-square speakers but didn't like the results. The consensus was that is harmed the sound. The benefits of dipole sound are hard to identify theoretically but are apparent to listeners' ears.

Ben
Old 16th December 2013, 01:10 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentoronto View Post
I wish I had the admirable restraint Calvin shows in his replies to dumptruck.
I really don't understand what's so offensive about my question.

Hide this!Advertise here!