anyone use permastat as a coating? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th November 2013, 10:37 PM   #1
WrineX is offline WrineX  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default anyone use permastat as a coating?

wondering if anyone use Milty permastat as a coating yet? its used as antistatic product for LP's ,, and should be permanent.

question is what resistance can we get? how well does it stick? and is it indeed permanent? and what does humidity do with it ?

looking for alternatives of lycron because in europe there is no way of getting licron.... weird enough. i once had a free can of the distributer after that no way of getting it.
Old 18th November 2013, 01:55 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I would really doubt that. There should not be any residue left on a vinyl. Remember the radii of the pick-up needle tip.
Old 18th November 2013, 03:07 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Just a suggestion! Maybe a member could spray the licron on your mylar and send it back to you. I myself have 2 cans, but have not tried application yet, so I'm out, but others may be able to help out, shipping may not make it worthwhile tho.
Al
Old 18th November 2013, 04:05 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrineX View Post

looking for alternatives of lycron because in europe there is no way of getting licron.... weird enough. i once had a free can of the distributer after that no way of getting it.
It's probably a long shot, but have you called these Techspray distributors in the Netherlands? techspray.com - Distributors
Old 18th November 2013, 09:39 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

yeah i called them. tomorow i hopefully call once more and get a sample.

if people are interested near or in the netherlands i will buy 12 cans. price will be around 40 euro ex shippin, for one can. people can even get ticket because i got a company so people can get there tax back if needed.
Old 19th November 2013, 03:02 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrineX View Post
wondering if anyone use Milty permastat as a coating yet? its used as antistatic product for LP's ,, and should be permanent.

question is what resistance can we get? how well does it stick? and is it indeed permanent? and what does humidity do with it ?

ACL Staticide 6500 ESD Safety Shield, 8 oz Aerosol Spray Can, Translucent: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
ACL Staticide 4600-1 Ultra Floor Finish, 1 Gallon Bottle: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
It may require some tinkering... but what are we doing here anyway?
Old 19th November 2013, 09:02 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

hmm that top one looks promising. i looked a few hours yesterday for a permannt coating could not find any Thx, going to look for a datasheet
Old 20th November 2013, 05:23 PM   #8
galop is offline galop  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

i was test with detergent for dishwashing and grafite powder and it works.
Old 22nd November 2013, 10:01 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by galop View Post
i was test with detergent for dishwashing and grafite powder and it works.
yeah it works temporary.. the dishwash will not work wehn humidity is low and graphite is a pain to aplly and does not look to nice

i migth get a sample can of new licron soon. else im gone try the ink or the other antistatics mentioned above
Old 22nd November 2013, 11:35 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

They do supply the Licron in gallon jugs that is safe for shipping but it is like $180 to $220 or so per jug I think.

It is much cheaper per oz. in bulk but it is a heavy hit on the pocket book.

I have not tried the Staticide product but a few DIYer's say it works good as well.

But, It has been mentioned that the warning label for Bulk has a shelf life and one person said that his did go bad and not work after some time that it has sat on his shelf.

Maybe there could be a better method to store it after it has been open to keep it from going bad as it is quite an investment for just a few panels.

The Licron bulk product has no such label and it is a little bit cheaper (but not much cheaper) than the staticide as well, the last time I looked it up and this was discussed.

I can't tell you which if any of the two is any better than the other, just that they both work as far as the conversations are concerned.

I personally have only used the Licron brands so far and they do work very good.
I haven't had any issues over time while it is still in the can or cured on the diaphragm.
Even while I had environmentally tortured my little panels for 7 years before I fired them up 7 years later without even opening them up first to clean them.

They worked right away with the dirt and salt and whatever else that got in them through the screen stators.
In fact the last panel that I burned beyond use had a diaphragm that was originally made and coated the Licron regular back in 2003.
I have already posted the pictures of the hole that got burned in that one.

I got my First can of licron in 2003 and I still have a lot left (2/3 can) and have used it recently as well.
I started using the Crystal version since April of 2010.
Both versions of original diaphragm's were still working since they were First coated back in 2003 and 2010 in my last test that I did a year ago.

FWIW

jer

Last edited by geraldfryjr; 22nd November 2013 at 11:42 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!