Manger open baffle mounting techniques - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th November 2013, 08:03 PM   #1
myhui is offline myhui  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Manger open baffle mounting techniques

( This is a thread similar to [(re)Build] Manger based system, but concentrating purely on the proper enclosure / mounting technique for these unique transducers )

Here is my first cut at an open baffle design, just to listen to them, and to pay my respects to Mr. Linkwitz's excellent ideas. This is obviously not a permanent solution. I don't plan to add a lower-frequency driver to this setup. I intend this to be a single driver, almost-full-range speaker design (at low playback volume only) with no crossover.

It sounds really nice just like this, especially with Annie Haslam singing, or Chick Corea playing the Fender Rhodes electric piano with his various bands over the decades. Imaging is excellent, and the linearity and delicacy of high frequencies is stunning (triangle ding, electric piano's rich overtones, close-miked cellos and flutes).

My goal is actually not an open baffle design. I want to separate the front sound waves from the rear waves. But I don't want a closed enclosure since I want the rear waves to travel freely and die out or get diffused.

I've been thinking of building a half hollow sphere out of DuPont Corian® and then punching a hole in the middle of that half sphere, and mounting the Mangers in that hole. The listener-facing side will have the (spherical) baffle fade away from the ears.

Since the pictures were taken, I have added some Auralex MetroFusor Sound Diffusor to cover the wall behind the Mangers to take care of the rear waves.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0717.jpg (790.7 KB, 541 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0718.jpg (994.0 KB, 513 views)
Old 17th November 2013, 11:03 PM   #2
djn is offline djn  United States
diyAudio Member

What kind of tweeter is that??? I've never seen one like that before.
Old 18th November 2013, 12:43 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

They have been around since 1990.

Head office in Germany: Manger Schallwandler

U.K. distributor: Manger Audio

Here is its principle of operation, quoting from their website: (the last sentence is the most important):

In this way the Manger® sound transducer controls the complete frequency range from 80 Hz to 40000 Hz on its surface and is at the same time close to the ideal of the point sound source. The conventional splitting into several ways (tweeter, mid-range and woofer) for different frequency ranges is therefore avoided. The active surface of the 19 cm diameter flexible diaphragm becomes smaller as the frequency increases so that the effective surface is always kept small in comparison to the wavelength to be radiated.

From their FAQ: How does the diaphragm move?

The diaphragm does not move piston-like, as in cone loudspeakers, the flat diaphragm vibrates on its own axis. The bending waves move from the middle outwards, comparable to the wave movement on a water surface after throwing in a stone. Using Mother Nature as as example, the Basilar diaphragm of the human inner ear functions along the same wave principle as the Manger sound transducer. Take a look at the column MSW for more information.
Old 18th November 2013, 12:52 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djn View Post
What kind of tweeter is that??? I've never seen one like that before.
Your wood lathe is perfect for making the hollow half sphere baffles I have in mind for the Mangers. I envision 2' diameter. But where can you get such a large piece of wood? Maybe the same method you use to make horns can be adapted to make the hollow half sphere baffle.
Old 18th November 2013, 09:45 AM   #5
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

I've heard spherical enclosures with two Mangers wired as dipoles (can be seen on the Manger DIY pages). Works very well in a large room. Dipoles in small rooms is always such a thing. (Very) early reflections in the wrong phase.
Old 19th November 2013, 07:38 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Look at the rear of the Manger in the attached picture. It is quite heavily obstructed. I suspect the rear wave, at least at higher frequencies, is quite attenuated compared to the front wave.

My goal is to have the half sphere baffle big enough and the rear of the sphere pointing in the right direction so as to lengthen the reflection path. I'll attenuate the rear wave via absorption material and diffuse it via panels.

One possible arrangement is to suspend the half spheres from the ceiling, with the Mangers pointing at 30 degrees down towards the listener, and about 6" above the top edge of the computer monitor. It's true that this doesn't allow the baffle to be solidly attached to something to damp the vibrations, but the very heavy Corian should be enough to provide adequate damping even when suspended in free space.

Making a spherical baffle is easy with Corian. Just cut concentric rings of the material from a flat sheet, and use those rings to construct a cone by fusing the opposite edges.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01.jpg (59.4 KB, 417 views)
Old 20th November 2013, 07:03 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Here is Manger's daughter speaking recently at an audio show: MESSE13: Amazing Monitor Speakers from Manger - YouTube

It's wonderful to hear her voice on my desktop Manger system!

I just found out that Corian can be heated up and molded into different shapes. So I can use that technique to make the half hollow sphere from one sheet of Corian.
Old 6th December 2013, 10:50 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I just spoke with a local Corian fabrication house who has a thermal forming oven that can turn a flat sheet into a half hollow sphere to make the baffles.

They will start on the project next month, after the year end rush.

Does anyone want a pair made at the same time?

We have not discussed pricing yet.

Does anyone think this spherical baffle is a bad idea?

In my room, I can shift the furniture slightly so that the back sides of the baffles point towards open windows, thus sending a lot of that out of phase energy out of the room.
Old 7th December 2013, 07:25 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

A spherical baffle sounds like a good idea. It would avoid the problems of box resonances. Btw, that driver looks great. It would be really interesting to hear it.
Old 7th December 2013, 03:15 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

This is an open baffle design, by the way.

Hide this!Advertise here!