Museatex - Melior One - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st November 2013, 09:53 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Museatex - Melior One

I bought a pair Museatex Melior One `s at the beginning of the nineties. I used them for some years before they were put in storage, because of children, and less space to let them breathe.

Now is the time to take them out of storage. Does anyone here have experience with these? Can I expect that they have endured to be unused for so many years? I have heard that there may be some problems with the glue that holds the membrane in place, and the magnetic oil in the coil opening.

I have discovered that the feet i got with the speakers, is not the original one, witch is shaped as a triangle. Does anyone know where I can get either a pair of original replacements, or blueprints to make them myself??
Old 1st November 2013, 10:22 PM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

AFAIK, member Moray James had a hand in there design and might be someone to ping on this question.

dave
Old 1st November 2013, 10:26 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
AFAIK, member Moray James had a hand in there design and might be someone to ping on this question.

dave
That`s a good tip, planet10! Ill try to get in touch with Moray.
Old 2nd November 2013, 04:49 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Lars: why don't you fire them up and see how they sound and then take things from there? if you have feet use them if you want new feet they are only MDF with machine screw inserts for footers or spike you will have to build your own. You may want to re tension the diaphragms with a hot air gun but you need to be careful or you could destroy the diaphragm. Keep the gun moving and six inches away. Loss of tension will show first as wrinkles in the corners. If you skins look smooth leave them alone. Hope this helps. Best regards Moray James.
Old 2nd November 2013, 08:28 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moray james View Post
Lars: why don't you fire them up and see how they sound and then take things from there? if you have feet use them if you want new feet they are only MDF with machine screw inserts for footers or spike you will have to build your own. You may want to re tension the diaphragms with a hot air gun but you need to be careful or you could destroy the diaphragm. Keep the gun moving and six inches away. Loss of tension will show first as wrinkles in the corners. If you skins look smooth leave them alone. Hope this helps. Best regards Moray James.
Ill do that, Moray. Thanks for your advise, this far.
Old 2nd November 2013, 02:43 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I took them out of storage today, and plugged them in. They both work, sort of, but the sound is low and thin. Sounds like a deep-reaching tweeter, playing alone, without woofers.

And they are incredable heavy.

My first thaught is that they don`t play as they should because of the magnetic oil in the coil-opening? It may have dried in, obstructing the speaker?

This person had the same problem...

http://www.avsforum.com/t/590274/speaker-break-in

Update: After some more investigation, it turned out that the magnetic coil on one of the speakers hung out in the back, clearly separated from the diaframe. When i pushed it in, the speaker worked again.

It seams like i have some glue-problems?

Last edited by Lars Erik Ringen; 2nd November 2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old 2nd November 2013, 04:36 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Update 2: I found this repair guide, written by you Morray James:

You can use LocTite Super Bonder 414 adhesive. There will be a layer of special Bostik glass sealant around your voice coil joint. This was applied over the diaphragm to voice coil former joint to impart impact resisance. You will need to VERY CAREFULLY scrape this off with a new Xacto knife before you repair the diaphragm to former joint. First clean the joint with a Q-Tip and small quantity of alcohol or laquer thinner, allow solvent to flash off (DO Not use any acetone). Make sure that you do not push hard enough to move the voice coil out of place ((eye ball the coil to a vertical position). Then with a tooth pic apply a thin layer of adhesive all around the joint. Keep the fresh adhesive off of the diaphragm just apply to the old joint. Let dry over night. You can now apply another sealant of similar consistancy around the new joint just flush to the edge of the dust cap make sure that your new joint looks as much like the old one as possible. Wait a day and that should do the trick. Hope that this helps. Should you have any other questions please PM me. Best regards Moray James (designer of the HIghwood Audio (Sumo) and Melior loudspeakers.

Do you have any further advise? I would love to se some pictures of the joint, how it is supposed to be.

The difference here, is that the magnet itself is loose. I haven`t opened up the speaker yet, to se how.

So you are the designer of theese babies?

Last edited by Lars Erik Ringen; 2nd November 2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old 2nd November 2013, 05:04 PM   #8
tyu is online now tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

Well can you give us some pic.....of your Museatex Melior One .........with there prob??
were the mag are lose?...........an coils?
thanks
Old 2nd November 2013, 05:25 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I will make som internal pictures when i open them up.

This is the external of them. The speaker beside it, is a Rogers LS3/5A.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 2nd November 2013, 06:31 PM   #10
Budgie is offline Budgie  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm looking forward to the internals pictures.

Hide this!Advertise here!