Building a large curved ESL - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th October 2013, 03:48 PM   #51
diyAudio Member

Wreck: come on, you're in this like the rest of us. Don't let the Martin Logan stuff scare you. Give it a shot.
Old 19th October 2013, 02:35 AM   #52
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldfryjr View Post
Here is a thread worth mentioning when it comes to curved stators and/or Asymmetrical D/S spacing's.
jer
What? Mine? (thanks jer, with your continued help, it could just be!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldtraut View Post
Wreck: come on, you're in this like the rest of us. Don't let the Martin Logan stuff scare you. Give it a shot.
Thanks for the enthusiastic push waldtraut, but it's gonna be a long trough through the woods before I can see the clearing...

I have several things to do, but starting this weekend, I'll be documenting my progress...

Wish me luck, and the helping hands of the ESL gods...hahah

Ohhhmm...
Old 22nd October 2013, 10:45 PM   #53
diyAudio Member

Reguarding stator panels? Is it better to have the outside perimeter free of hole's?
Old 23rd October 2013, 02:32 AM   #54
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaStar View Post
Reguarding stator panels? Is it better to have the outside perimeter free of hole's?
Not on a flat panel... but given the vertical tension a curved panel requires, I believe a solid, non-perforated band at the top and bottom would be very beneficial, if not necessary.

Having a non-perforated band at the top and bottom would certainly allow the double sided tape quite a bit more bonding surface, and also avoid ( I would think) the tape from recessing into the holes, which would provide less bonding pressure onto the diaphragm.

See post # 30 by Calvin for consensus on this, and FWIW, ML uses it on all sides, not just the top.

cheers
-wreck
Old 23rd October 2013, 04:31 PM   #55
diyAudio Member

Just watched that you tube video at friends place, I have slow dialup , I wonder how even the tension is across the length as it seems she only gave about 4 or 5 pulls on it's length, placed right on the tape, almost looks like exact tension isn't that important.
Al
Old 24th October 2013, 02:57 AM   #56
diyAudio Member

Watch it again Delta, she's pulling in the horizontal, and not the vertical.
The vertical tension seems to be mechanized as far as I can tell,(unless you're watching a different video, haha)

Anyways, for anyone following the thread, I ordered my metal today after a battle with a few different companies.

Four pieces measuring 15" by 60" plus two remainder 6"x 60" (for a future center channel) perforated 20 gauge metal, cut out of their stock 36"x120" sheets... final price was $113 and some change, straight to my door, not bad.

(I'm happy )
Stay tuned...
Old 24th October 2013, 08:01 AM   #57
diyAudio Member

wreck, you going curved or flat? if curved did you get it pre rolled?
Al
Old 24th October 2013, 05:31 PM   #58
diyAudio Member

Wreck: where do you get 3M very high bond tape? I've been having trouble with the "regular" 3M tape I bought through McMaster. The tape is now creeping. Might have something to do with the room where my system is got down to 55 degrees last night...getting frustrated.

Bazukaz: what kind of glue do you use? Spacers? Please fill me in on this method.

Thanks.
Old 25th October 2013, 02:27 AM   #59
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaStar View Post
wreck, you going curved or flat? if curved did you get it pre rolled?
Al
Ah..Um... I think since the thread is named...oh, nevermind.. ()
I'll let you off the hook this time, only because you may have been consuming large quantities of Saskatoonian brewskies last night, eh? Click the image to open in full size.
(I'm just kidding, Delta...haha)

McNichols offers a host of options including rolling/bending. But I decided against because they deal in such large quuantities, I'm afraid they wouldn't be personal enough to care what they are doing. Besides, I have a friend who does machining locally, and will cut me a good deal also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldtraut View Post
Wreck: where do you get 3M very high bond tape? I've been having trouble with the "regular" 3M tape I bought through McMaster. The tape is now creeping. Might have something to do with the room where my system is got down to 55 degrees last night...getting frustrated.
Hey waldtraut, I get this stuff anywhere I can find it, with the right specs, and with the best price.

McMaster-Carr has VHB, but I found the thickness I was looking for at a much cheaper price at ULINE, so I ordered there. Things can also work the other way, for instance, I found a much cheaper price at McMaster's for another tape I was looking for, as opposed to ULINE, and yet another 'best deal' at Amazon.

Just to rattle off a few names, there's Uline, Amazon, McMaster's, shop3M..etc. Prepare to spend a few hours comparing prices/specs/quantities...

Hope this helps
-wreck
Old 25th October 2013, 02:59 AM   #60
diyAudio Member

There was a previous member here by the handle Starz00700, and he built a stretching table for curved ESLs that looked pretty functional, look:
Click the image to open in full size.

I'd like to build something similar, as this particular table would have the back stator attached first, which is the sequence I'd like to follow, reason being is the front stator would be much easier to mount than the back one once (halfway) fabricated.

Does anyone know how he built the curved 'table' ? What is it made of? etc.

Thanks in advance...
-wreck

Hide this!Advertise here!