Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th September 2013, 02:08 AM   #1
asmith is offline asmith  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Building Acoustat panels

OK it's time to start the winter project. I'm thinking about building Acoustat model 3's starting from scratch. I want the speakers to be right at 7 feet tall so i'm planing on making the panels 9x36 inches and stacking .Now the problem, where can you get the 2x4 egg crate light defuses in 1/2 inch thickness. While they were common years ago no one seems to carry them now, and the ones I have found are around $25 each.
The common thickness is now .375 inch and I don't think that this would be stiff enough to build from... Any Ideas.
Old 26th September 2013, 05:17 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I've never built any, but I've read that acrylic louvers are preferable to styrene, although they do cost more. There are online sellers.
Old 26th September 2013, 06:48 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

3/8" is a better thickness for what it is worth you will get less of a resonant tunnel. You can get either thickness if you want and if you really want to do a top quality forget the styrene versions and order the acrylic ones but be fore warned they are not cheap. Double stacked Acoustats are 7' 10" base included. Best regards Moray James.
Old 26th September 2013, 02:18 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

The Local stores used to carry it about 10 years ago then they changed.
I went to get a new sheet to match the one I had and found the thickness had changed as well as the size of the squares, But the overall size is exactly the same.

I had found the good stuff at one time for about $32 for a 4' X 8' sheets but you had to by a whole case of 10 or so.

I still use it today for building smaller panels, My 8.5" wide panels did tend to bow out from the tension of the Mylar, So some extra support may be needed, but nothing seemed to effect they way they sounded overall.

The only difference in my construction method is that I use window screen as the stator material.

Because of the bowing issue I haven't built a larger panel yet, So my main focus is on panels less than about 4" to 6" wide using the material.

FWIW

jer
Old 26th September 2013, 04:46 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmith View Post
OK it's time to start the winter project. I'm thinking about building Acoustat model 3's starting from scratch. I want the speakers to be right at 7 feet tall so i'm planing on making the panels 9x36 inches and stacking .Now the problem, where can you get the 2x4 egg crate light defuses in 1/2 inch thickness. While they were common years ago no one seems to carry them now, and the ones I have found are around $25 each.
The common thickness is now .375 inch and I don't think that this would be stiff enough to build from... Any Ideas.
The original louvers used by Acoustat were made by Paragon Molding. At the time, several manufacturers made similar louvers, but they were not identical, and due to slight variations in the spacing, they would not work with Acoustat's 'combs' used at the ends of the panel. (These 'combs' , a custom-molded part, provided the 'hooks' necessary to loop the stator wire back and forth.)

Be aware that some louvers (at least appear to) have a metallized coating on the plastic, and for obvious reasons these should be avoided.

I think the AudioCircuit website still has a sequence of photos I provided showing the assembly sequence of the Acoustat panel. If you can't find them there, I can probably re-post here (but it is quite a few photos).

Good luck with your project. There are many more issues involved besides the louvers, so when you get to that point, feel free to pick my brain.
Old 26th September 2013, 04:53 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Here's the link to the Acoustat panel assembly photos mentioned in my last post. Sure does bring back some fond memories.

Acoustat article: Acoustat factory photo tour
Old 26th September 2013, 08:57 PM   #7
tyu is offline tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

looks like jim had it going on back in the day.........an those were the days of Acoustat........dont for get to bow the louvers..........An let us all know when you get the coating figerout??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 941-ACO-Factory_Tour-P-B05[1].jpg (38.7 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg 941-ACO-Factory_Tour-P-B04[1].jpg (40.2 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg 941-ACO-Factory_Tour-P-B09[1].jpg (96.9 KB, 186 views)
Old 26th September 2013, 11:39 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default coating

First thing that comes to mind for the coating would be carbon black in thinned down contact cement. That stuff will stick to anything.
Old 26th September 2013, 11:43 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default coating the inside of the mylar

Has anyone ever tried using thinner Mylar and putting the coating inside of 2 sheets and using the coating to stick them together.
I did this back in the 70's using plastic wrap with UN-insulated stayers and it worked well, but the coating never dried.
Old 27th September 2013, 09:37 AM   #10
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

And more than double the mass? Hmmm.

The real answer is doing a surface treatment of thin polyester film (Saran is even better, but tougher to find these days- my last ESL build used Clysar) before coating. A corona or plasma treater is optimal, and one can improvise that with a Tesla coil. With a sufficiently high surface energy (40 dynes), it's easy to paint on a good, stable coating; there are quite a few commercial PTF resistor coatings that will work fine. I used a thinned version of Acheson 423, a carbon-black-loaded vinyl composition, but I don't know what's around these days. The membrane switch industry uses lots of this sort of stuff, so something equivalent will be findable.

Making your own coating will be problematic without good dispersion equipment to obtain a consistent conductivity with no hot spots. Most of us don't have three roll mills or homogenizers.

Hide this!Advertise here!