Martin Logan Aerius i HT Board Transformer Kaputt !?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi folks,

New to the forum from Scotland and looking for some of your expertise

I have a fault on my ML Aerius i's which I have narrowed down to the HT board.
Doing a bit of measurement I think I have an open circuit transformer on the board.

Problem is where can I get a new or equivalent one in UK/EU ?

The Part No is 60T2706 but I can't find any despite trawling google for hours.

Any help much appreciated !

Last edited:
Doing a bit of measurement I think I have an open circuit transformer on the board.
...The Part No is 60T2706 but I can't find any despite trawling google for hours.

Andersonix had an open secondary on one of the HV transformers for his SL3s.
He was able to get a replacement directly from Martin Logan for $16 + shipping.
I believe the transformer part number is the same as yours.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/plan...rmittent-bias-supply-problem.html#post2973125

As already suggested, your best bet is probably going to be contact ML support to see how cheaply they can ship you one.
Or, perhaps, they can put you in contact with a service center across that pond that could sell you one.

Does antone know if there is any difference between Aerius & Aerius i HT boards?

The reason I ask is I have a couple of aerius ht boards if the OP gets stuck I may consider selling.

Alan Pm me if of interest and I can pull the speaker apart and take a picture of the board.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
If ML in USA will let you buy one $16 transformer and ship to the UK (doubtful, because of their foreign dealership agreements), then you should buy two (at least). If the UK agent is too stubborn (or greedy) to sell you just the transformer, then I would suggest asking someone here in the US to relay an order for you. (I can't do it myself as I am going abroad soon.)

In the meantime, you can temporarily power both bias supplies from the same transformer with a long cable.

If ML in USA will let you buy one $16 transformer and ship to the UK (doubtful, because of their foreign dealership agreements), then you should buy two (at least). If the UK agent is too stubborn (or greedy) to sell you just the transformer, then I would suggest asking someone here in the US to relay an order for you. (I can't do it myself as I am going abroad soon.)

In the meantime, you can temporarily power both bias supplies from the same transformer with a long cable.

thanks for the info...
I am trying to source officially from ML right now, but if I need to maybe a kindly forum member could help - good call!

Looks like ML UK won't help at component level (but they will sell me the whole board at $480 !!)
ML USA can't supply to the UK due to international dealership rules etc so I need to find some kindly person in the US to order and ship to me !!

Unless of course there is an equivalent of the transformer that is more commonly available ?

I need to find some kindly person in the US to order and ship to me !!

Have you double-checked that the transformer is indeed the only problem by hooking up the output of the HV transformer from the other speaker supply as Andersonix suggested in post #6? If so, send me PM and I can handle the order/shipping for you.

Unless of course there is an equivalent of the transformer that is more commonly available ?
We had no luck trying to find an equivalent transformer for Andersonix when his failed.
It's a pretty specialized part. Perhaps somebody with better Googling skills...

Joined 2004
Paid Member
The original transformer supplies both 260VAC to the bias supply and ~11VAC to the music sensor turn-on circuit, and is soldered to the pcb, so finding an exact replacement is unlikely. But I expect if push came to shove, the separate voltages could be obtained from other suitable transformers mounted off-board. I would want the L and R speakers to have the same 'update' for my own sanity.

If the transformer has 2 windings and one being for the auto power up the regular aerius boards I have are unlikely to be suited as they did not feature the auto power up at all.

Not sure about the question - will check later.
I am note sure if my speakers have auto on ?

What is the part no of the boards you have ?

Maybe someone here can advise on Aerius v Aerius i ?

Board no. MLPS-102

Pic :-
photo_zpsc046dfc6.jpg

Attachments

• MLPS-102.jpg
    MLPS-102.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 229
UPDATE:

Now have an older MLPS-102 from an Aerius and have connected it in place of the MLPS103 rev h on my Aerius i

Problem is the connections to the X-OVER transformer are not the same on both.
On the 103 there are 4 wires to 4 different PCB terminals, on the 102 there are only 2 wires and only 2 terminals to connect to.

On the 103 3 of the 4 are actually connected together via PCB track which is not connected to anything else on the PCB and the other is connected to a series of 15Mohm resistors.
On the 102 one wire also connects to the 15M resistors but the other is connected via a 15M resistor and then ground.

My first instinct was to simply connect the 3 wires from the 103 together into the one terminal that goes to the 15M resistor but I am worried I might damage the board.

Will post pics soon to be clearer.

Any initial thoughts ?

PS
The transformer has exactly the same readings on both 103 and 102 boards so don't think that's my problem any more that's why I switched the whole board.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.