Tribute transformers for Apogee Full Range - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th August 2013, 10:51 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Tribute transformers for Apogee Full Range

Hi guys
like EDBK i ordered custom 4 ohm Tribute transformers for my Full Range Apogees. I ordered a transformer for both the MR and TW ribbon and went with a 4 ohm final impedance for both. I am obviously tri-amping with this set up and using a 3-way active line level crossover (Pioneer D-23, an oldy but goody). I am still playing with amplifiers but can report the following improvements as a result of the Tribute transformers and tri-amping

- a very noticeable decrease in distortion. complex music sounds, well, less complex. nuance ad detail emerges from what was a tangled mess before.

- there is a very real increase in relaxation of the music. Music flows and breathes more naturally. an increase in both micro and macro dynamics. It is also easier to listen to at low volume than before.

- high frequencies are smoother, more distinct ....less distorted.

- lastly there is noticeable improvement in realism - i am more often fooled into thinking that a recorded sound is actually someone in the room. this happens on some songs that have occasional talking during the recording sessions (Beatles did this a lot) and just for a moment i turn my head to see whether there is someone in the room talking to me - i spooky-cool sensation.

I think Pieter does a very good job making these transformers outperform the stock ones and his works are highly regarded by the SET crowd.
i prefer using the transformer with active line level XO to using caps and resistors at the speaker level for many reasons - caps and resistors soak up 50% of your amps power, good caps easily cost more than a good transformer and color the sound, the transformer will protect the ribbons from any DC offset the amps have.
If you have studied tube electronics you know that most people regard transformer coupling as being superior to cap coupling - i think the same holds true for coupling an amplifer to a ribbon driver
Old 29th August 2013, 08:04 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

So what excactly did you buy?
Is it an autotransformer 8 to 4 Ohm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90493m View Post
Hi guys
like EDBK i ordered custom 4 ohm Tribute transformers for my Full Range Apogees. I ordered a transformer for both the MR and TW ribbon and went with a 4 ohm final impedance for both. I am obviously tri-amping with this set up and using a 3-way active line level crossover (Pioneer D-23, an oldy but goody). I am still playing with amplifiers but can report the following improvements as a result of the Tribute transformers and tri-amping

- a very noticeable decrease in distortion. complex music sounds, well, less complex. nuance ad detail emerges from what was a tangled mess before.

- there is a very real increase in relaxation of the music. Music flows and breathes more naturally. an increase in both micro and macro dynamics. It is also easier to listen to at low volume than before.

- high frequencies are smoother, more distinct ....less distorted.

- lastly there is noticeable improvement in realism - i am more often fooled into thinking that a recorded sound is actually someone in the room. this happens on some songs that have occasional talking during the recording sessions (Beatles did this a lot) and just for a moment i turn my head to see whether there is someone in the room talking to me - i spooky-cool sensation.

I think Pieter does a very good job making these transformers outperform the stock ones and his works are highly regarded by the SET crowd.
i prefer using the transformer with active line level XO to using caps and resistors at the speaker level for many reasons - caps and resistors soak up 50% of your amps power, good caps easily cost more than a good transformer and color the sound, the transformer will protect the ribbons from any DC offset the amps have.
If you have studied tube electronics you know that most people regard transformer coupling as being superior to cap coupling - i think the same holds true for coupling an amplifer to a ribbon driver
Old 29th August 2013, 08:59 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

i bought two sets of inductive transformers : one set for my mid-range ribbons and one set for my tweeter ribbons. these ribbons are pure aluminum thus being very low impedance. the Tribute transformers were built to raise the impedance of these ribbons up to 4 ohms from 0.2 ohms on the mid-range ribbon and approx 2.0 ohms on the tweeter ribbon
Old 29th August 2013, 09:07 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Ah, that's some more information.
I guess autotransformers so they were easy to make and cost efficient.

I am curios about the price level for such an upgrade.

Quote:
i bought two sets of inductive transformers : one set for my mid-range ribbons and one set for my tweeter ribbons. these ribbons are pure aluminum thus being very low impedance. the Tribute transformers were built to raise the impedance of these ribbons up to 4 ohms from 0.2 ohms on the mid-range ribbon and approx 2.0 ohms on the tweeter ribbon

Last edited by esltransformer; 29th August 2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old 30th August 2013, 08:06 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esltransformer View Post
Ah, that's some more information.
I guess autotransformers so they were easy to make and cost efficient.

I am curios about the price level for such an upgrade.

For the midrange its a 6,3:1 (windings) step-down transformer, for the tweeter I guess 2:1 or 2,2:1, 90493m should be able to tell us that

I have potted amorphous c-cores.

I though the price was pretty decent, I paid E 325 for the mindrange pair, thats lower then other offerings of seemingly less quality How long did yours take to be built 90493m?
Old 30th August 2013, 12:43 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

yes prices seemed very reasonable especially given the high quality. it took about 6 weeks to receive the transformers as i recall.
Old 30th August 2013, 01:17 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
yes prices seemed very reasonable especially given the high quality. it took about 6 weeks to receive the transformers as i recall.
Oh not that bad. He seems to be quite busy.. Sowther was about double the price btw
Old 31st August 2013, 06:28 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
6 weeks.... you was lucky

I think reasonable price indeed but, those transformers are very easy to make so it would be very strange if they where not reasonable priced.
Old 31st August 2013, 06:50 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

6 weeks .. im just disciussing my order and i dream of such number in fact.
Old 31st August 2013, 07:11 AM   #10
Raj1 is offline Raj1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Pieter's work is top notch. Worth the wait if you can.

Hide this!Advertise here!