Tribute transformers for Apogee Full Range - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2013, 10:51 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: San Diego
Default Tribute transformers for Apogee Full Range

Hi guys
like EDBK i ordered custom 4 ohm Tribute transformers for my Full Range Apogees. I ordered a transformer for both the MR and TW ribbon and went with a 4 ohm final impedance for both. I am obviously tri-amping with this set up and using a 3-way active line level crossover (Pioneer D-23, an oldy but goody). I am still playing with amplifiers but can report the following improvements as a result of the Tribute transformers and tri-amping

- a very noticeable decrease in distortion. complex music sounds, well, less complex. nuance ad detail emerges from what was a tangled mess before.

- there is a very real increase in relaxation of the music. Music flows and breathes more naturally. an increase in both micro and macro dynamics. It is also easier to listen to at low volume than before.

- high frequencies are smoother, more distinct ....less distorted.

- lastly there is noticeable improvement in realism - i am more often fooled into thinking that a recorded sound is actually someone in the room. this happens on some songs that have occasional talking during the recording sessions (Beatles did this a lot) and just for a moment i turn my head to see whether there is someone in the room talking to me - i spooky-cool sensation.

I think Pieter does a very good job making these transformers outperform the stock ones and his works are highly regarded by the SET crowd.
i prefer using the transformer with active line level XO to using caps and resistors at the speaker level for many reasons - caps and resistors soak up 50% of your amps power, good caps easily cost more than a good transformer and color the sound, the transformer will protect the ribbons from any DC offset the amps have.
If you have studied tube electronics you know that most people regard transformer coupling as being superior to cap coupling - i think the same holds true for coupling an amplifer to a ribbon driver
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2013, 08:04 PM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
So what excactly did you buy?
Is it an autotransformer 8 to 4 Ohm?


Quote:
Originally Posted by 90493m View Post
Hi guys
like EDBK i ordered custom 4 ohm Tribute transformers for my Full Range Apogees. I ordered a transformer for both the MR and TW ribbon and went with a 4 ohm final impedance for both. I am obviously tri-amping with this set up and using a 3-way active line level crossover (Pioneer D-23, an oldy but goody). I am still playing with amplifiers but can report the following improvements as a result of the Tribute transformers and tri-amping

- a very noticeable decrease in distortion. complex music sounds, well, less complex. nuance ad detail emerges from what was a tangled mess before.

- there is a very real increase in relaxation of the music. Music flows and breathes more naturally. an increase in both micro and macro dynamics. It is also easier to listen to at low volume than before.

- high frequencies are smoother, more distinct ....less distorted.

- lastly there is noticeable improvement in realism - i am more often fooled into thinking that a recorded sound is actually someone in the room. this happens on some songs that have occasional talking during the recording sessions (Beatles did this a lot) and just for a moment i turn my head to see whether there is someone in the room talking to me - i spooky-cool sensation.

I think Pieter does a very good job making these transformers outperform the stock ones and his works are highly regarded by the SET crowd.
i prefer using the transformer with active line level XO to using caps and resistors at the speaker level for many reasons - caps and resistors soak up 50% of your amps power, good caps easily cost more than a good transformer and color the sound, the transformer will protect the ribbons from any DC offset the amps have.
If you have studied tube electronics you know that most people regard transformer coupling as being superior to cap coupling - i think the same holds true for coupling an amplifer to a ribbon driver
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2013, 08:59 PM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: San Diego
i bought two sets of inductive transformers : one set for my mid-range ribbons and one set for my tweeter ribbons. these ribbons are pure aluminum thus being very low impedance. the Tribute transformers were built to raise the impedance of these ribbons up to 4 ohms from 0.2 ohms on the mid-range ribbon and approx 2.0 ohms on the tweeter ribbon
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2013, 09:07 PM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Ah, that's some more information.
I guess autotransformers so they were easy to make and cost efficient.

I am curios about the price level for such an upgrade.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 90493m View Post
i bought two sets of inductive transformers : one set for my mid-range ribbons and one set for my tweeter ribbons. these ribbons are pure aluminum thus being very low impedance. the Tribute transformers were built to raise the impedance of these ribbons up to 4 ohms from 0.2 ohms on the mid-range ribbon and approx 2.0 ohms on the tweeter ribbon

Last edited by esltransformer; 29th August 2013 at 09:15 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2013, 08:06 AM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by esltransformer View Post
Ah, that's some more information.
I guess autotransformers so they were easy to make and cost efficient.

I am curios about the price level for such an upgrade.

For the midrange its a 6,3:1 (windings) step-down transformer, for the tweeter I guess 2:1 or 2,2:1, 90493m should be able to tell us that

I have potted amorphous c-cores.

I though the price was pretty decent, I paid E 325 for the mindrange pair, thats lower then other offerings of seemingly less quality How long did yours take to be built 90493m?
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2013, 12:43 PM   #6
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: San Diego
yes prices seemed very reasonable especially given the high quality. it took about 6 weeks to receive the transformers as i recall.
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2013, 01:17 PM   #7
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90493m View Post
yes prices seemed very reasonable especially given the high quality. it took about 6 weeks to receive the transformers as i recall.
Oh not that bad. He seems to be quite busy.. Sowther was about double the price btw
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2013, 06:28 AM   #8
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90493m View Post
yes prices seemed very reasonable especially given the high quality. it took about 6 weeks to receive the transformers as i recall.
6 weeks.... you was lucky

I think reasonable price indeed but, those transformers are very easy to make so it would be very strange if they where not reasonable priced.
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2013, 06:50 AM   #9
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
6 weeks .. im just disciussing my order and i dream of such number in fact.
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2013, 07:11 AM   #10
Raj1 is offline Raj1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: UK
Pieter's work is top notch. Worth the wait if you can.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apogee Full Range Crossovers edbk Planars & Exotics 27 10th September 2013 08:24 AM
Rebuilding Transformer box for Apogee Full Range 90493m Planars & Exotics 13 10th May 2013 03:00 AM
Direct driving Apogee Full Range speakers 90493m Planars & Exotics 23 17th April 2013 10:46 PM
FS: Apogee Caliper Signature full-range ribbon speakers andyjevans Swap Meet 1 22nd September 2010 11:33 AM
I'm in Beijing--which transformers should I buy for full-range ESL's? rkellyfitz Planars & Exotics 0 31st October 2009 12:50 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:05 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2