Tribute transformers for Apogee Full Range - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st August 2013, 07:20 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj1 View Post
Pieter's work is top notch. Worth the wait if you can.

Really? How can we know? There is no information on his site nor anywhere else or is there?
Old 31st August 2013, 07:22 AM   #12
Raj1 is offline Raj1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Well I just told you didn't I. It's what one calls, customer feedback, or fellow DIYer feedback.

Oh wait, I just made it up cos I've never really ordered anything from him

Last edited by Raj1; 31st August 2013 at 07:24 AM.
Old 31st August 2013, 07:29 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

From what i've found on the web, Pieter is probably the most respected, almost a cult. Many times people claim he is worth the outrageous waiting time which is sometimes a year or more. I personally don't get that. How can i simply switch my enthusiasm off, just before completing my amp, striving to hear it.. I'd love to have his product very much but one has to be a masochist a bit, knowing of so many reports about waiting time..
Old 31st August 2013, 08:30 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misok View Post
From what i've found on the web, Pieter is probably the most respected, almost a cult. Many times people claim he is worth the outrageous waiting time which is sometimes a year or more. I personally don't get that. How can i simply switch my enthusiasm off, just before completing my amp, striving to hear it.. I'd love to have his product very much but one has to be a masochist a bit, knowing of so many reports about waiting time..
I just want to know the facts about some products. I really don't care who makes it.
If people give feedback about a product and say they like it it gives me still no information unless good measurements was published.
That's why I like sites as MONOLITH MAGNETICS. I know they make top products and then a costumer feedback makes any sense.
For example: GM70-211 project
You see a Tribute transformer for a gm70 tube 15Hz-35kHz. I like such sites because I get more information about the products Pieter made.
Now I can compare this with for instance Monolith magnetics. MM is much better concerning frequency response so I know they have better skills.
The only thing is that I get to less information from (many) manufactures and to less from costumers feedback.
Old 31st August 2013, 10:12 AM   #15
Raj1 is offline Raj1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Why don't you email the man and ask for some facts then?

Are you interested in making a purchase, or do you wind your own transformers?
Old 31st August 2013, 11:41 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj1 View Post
Why don't you email the man and ask for some facts then?

Are you interested in making a purchase, or do you wind your own transformers?
I think all (good) transformer manufactures should have there information online. I would like an open, transparent market.
Just think that the transfomer "myth" would not exist if there would be more information from so called "quality" manufactures.
Old 31st August 2013, 12:22 PM   #17
daanve is offline daanve  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Measuring provides the answers to audio .... or was this just the problem often discussed here?

Agree myths should be avoided. Having a reputation of honesty and using good ingredients, should count for something. When using arguments/components flying in the face of 'Einstein', I would doubt things too.

Remembered, an old electronics engineer at my university telling me calling a manufacturer: "I measured something different with your component than the published specs" ..... oh .. we published the computer calculated specs from the theory/model.......

Open and transparant. ... Martin, I know you and Pieter (Tribute) personally ... and after reading some of your comments here on the forum. Just wondering .... what is the motive (or your personal) here?
Why the constant undertone .... directed squarely at 1 person ?

You know the reason for the reputation (and possibly a myth status in the eyes of some) .... it ain't dishonesty. Talk it out ....

Last edited by daanve; 31st August 2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 31st August 2013, 01:17 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

This, to a large extent, is a misery of all audio hardware. We are no robots and our aesthetic perception cannot be put into words/numbers and many custom craftsmen (sometimes intentionally) don't play this game. But from the customer point there i see just 2 ways, both quite foggy. One is to accumulate as much tech details as possible and imagine how they trigger final emotions while listening (which is more psycho-programming than a possible task), other is just trust what others experience and like, and 'try to believe' in the same perception.
Old 31st August 2013, 01:22 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esltransformer View Post
6 weeks.... you was lucky

I think reasonable price indeed but, those transformers are very easy to make so it would be very strange if they where not reasonable priced.

I'm getting the feeling you are holding some sort of personal grudge against Pieter. Yes he has limited production capability so the more orders he takes the longer the wait. Yes his prices are lower then several of his "competitors", like sowther/lundahl. A google on feedback on his products leaves little doubt of the quality he delivers in my mind.
Old 31st August 2013, 02:02 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daanve View Post
Measuring provides the answers to audio .... or was this just the problem often discussed here?

Agree myths should be avoided. Having a reputation of honesty and using good ingredients, should count for something. When using arguments/components flying in the face of 'Einstein', I would doubt things too.

Remembered, an old electronics engineer at my university telling me calling a manufacturer: "I measured something different with your component than the published specs" ..... oh .. we published the computer calculated specs from the theory/model.......

Open and transparant. ... Martin, I know you and Pieter (Tribute) personally ... and after reading some of your comments here on the forum. Just wondering .... what is the motive (or your personal) here?
Why the constant undertone .... directed squarely at 1 person ?

You know the reason for the reputation (and possibly a myth status in the eyes of some) .... it ain't dishonesty. Talk it out ....

Somebody wrote Tribute is "top notch".
Based on what? Thats just a question.
I know Tribute uses good quality core material, I exactly told him what to buy, so i know that part is top notch. But the performance of a transformer is not only based on this. I know tribute/pieter for over 20 years but some importand details he never publish and in my personal opinion i think the costumer has the right to get good information.
And don't get me wrong, the same is for other brands.

And i have just 1 motivation, i like/want top transformers (and Tribute is not in my list, specially because the lack of information).

Hide this!Advertise here!