Planars, Classic drivers OB or others ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th August 2013, 01:30 PM   #1
Eldam is online now Eldam  France
diyAudio Member

Default Planars, Classic drivers OB or others ?

Hi,

It's a long time I wanted to ask some question to experienced people of the planars forum.

At 44 I have three systems and want to upgrade for only ONE or maybe with a less ambitious second just for modern music. The speakers are Boston Lynfield 400L (known for there clarity, soundstage and speed in all there audioband), Kef 104/2 (soundstage & fullness), Proac D15 (known for their average tone color) . All have qualities & defaults and now I consider that the sources are nearly good enough for me with a Rega Planar 3 and multiples digital sources (SB+DACs; CD players) I tuned or I 'm going to make like the subbu DAC.

I read a lot to try to understand the direction to go in regard to my budget. Can I have better for less than 2k $ ? I want to keep the Kef for rock music but want to beat The Boston Acoustic Lynfield 400L and ProacD15 for classic & Jazz & litlle orchestral music.

I hesitate between DIY and second hand because of my budget. I hesitate too with the technology. I'm impressed by the work made by some people in OB with classic drivers and by some like StigErik with mixed thechnology with G&B RD75 and bass driver. I didn't understand well the difference between Martin Logan, Magneplanar and little line array with ribons.

Is a Magneplanar 3.7 better than a Quad 2905 in a standalone conf ? It's to understand because both are too expensive for me, even in second hand.

Can a G&B rd75 DIY with a crossover at 300 or 600 Htz with OB bass match with an old second hand Quad ESL63 ? Possible scenario with my bufget...

Is it possible to go to DIY ESL with good result with my budget in relation to the second hand market ?

I give up with the ideas of horns system with Onken cause known to be expensive (TAD 4001) and nearly impossible to set up (approximative quality of most tweeter in tonal color?!, management between horn and bass box). I read a lot of JM Le Cleach cause it's easy for me to understand because of the same mother language. My final understanding is that the room intergration is one of the key domestic audio and many made a great work to explain that : S Linkwitz, Geedle, fellows of DIYA who explains how to deal with the listening room.

Here it's first approach for me to try understand from felows who try these different technologies and why they think one has more advantage than an other to ultimatly choose just one ! It is said than Quad have maybe the qualities I'm looking for like non fatiguabale listening and soundstage, but it is said too than the last 3.7 Maggies has fantastic tonal colors ?

Thank you for yours testimonies in the absolute and/or in regard to my 2000 $ budget (plan to sell two speakers).

Elldam

Last edited by Eldam; 25th August 2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old 25th August 2013, 01:35 PM   #2
Jaimo is offline Jaimo  Canada
diyAudio Member

Don't discount the Maggie MG1.6. They can be had at reasonable prices (around $1k) and with a few mods can be made more efficient and better sounding. What is your amplifier preference?
Old 25th August 2013, 01:35 PM   #3
joaquin is offline joaquin  Chile
diyAudio Member

hello Elldam , after I went almost extinguishing many horns configurations , I made my self a couple of FAL flat speakres . I have´t listened a more transparent a clear sound . I think planars are almost impossible to beat in that aspect . I cannot go back to my horn system anymore ....
Old 25th August 2013, 04:08 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi Jaimo,
Thanks for inputs.

I'm not sure a 1.6 is far better than my Boston ?

Is a moded Maggie1.6 equal to a normal 3.6 ?

Is a 1.6 better than a Quad ESL57 (or 63 because) because both ~same price on second hand market ?

My (p)reference amp is a Chord (200 w 8 homs & 400 4 homs). If not good enough are Ncores with SMPS a good match for planars ?

Hi Joaquin, viva el curanto of Chiloé (cooked of course in a hole) !

Thank you for confirmation with planar vs horns. I have a question :have tonal colors in the low medium, high bass sufisant thick, flesh meat like in real life or have we deal with light tonal colors in this area ?
Old 25th August 2013, 05:12 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldam View Post
Hi Jaimo,
Thanks for inputs.
Hi Joaquin, viva el curanto of Chiloé (cooked of course in a hole) !

Thank you for confirmation with planar vs horns. I have a question :have tonal colors in the low medium, high bass sufisant thick, flesh meat like in real life or have we deal with light tonal colors in this area ?
when I was a little child , once I ate curanto near Chiloé , excellent experience !!! glad you know about it ...

about your question ; depends too much on the room . I think below 100hz they might need some help , although many people use it with no additional help , neither in the top or bottom . If you like bass instruments or classic , the foundation imho of that kind of music is in the lower frecuencies , but they are a very good design and solution because they are like 95dB . so i got away with a 45 amp . the planars (fals) and a big mono woofer speaker between them @ about 100hz .

Last edited by joaquin; 25th August 2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old 25th August 2013, 05:43 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I was honored to test Curanto and how it was cooked in a local party in Chiloé 3 years ago ! It was traditionaly cooked in a hole with vegetables & with hot stones covered by vegetable and some earths... delicious !

It's the first time I heard about the japanese FLAT speakers (just googled it!). Had you bought the drivers or made it with spare parts ? I think it's not in my budget. I would like to hear it !

Last edited by Eldam; 25th August 2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old 25th August 2013, 05:50 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.

I make the cabinets , dont get fooled with the size of the drivers , they have a very wide dispersion . The good thing they use no crossover , very nice technology , I think they are like USD 600 each on ebay . The big ones are very expensive . but the little ones are a nice solution .

Click the image to open in full size.

this is now , I tend to do some experiments .
Old 25th August 2013, 07:51 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Their is no substitute for listening to your potential new speakers. I have never heard any Magneplanar for any length of time. I have owned Quad ESL 57's and ESL 63's. I like the ESL 57 better for its looks, and in the listening position for its sound, but overall I chose the ESL 63 for its wider stereo hot spot, and that is want I use now at home, I should sell the ESL 57's.

The speakers you have I cant judge, but I have never heard a Moving coil speaker that can match the realism of an electrostatic speaker.
Old 25th August 2013, 09:40 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thank you Owen,
Interesting...both 57 vs 63 and ESL vs conventionel.
It us incredible Because i surmise industrials make heavy conventional speakers to sell them very expensive....

Joaqin,
Beautiful work...i like too the bass with the vertical flow port.
The Flat driver equal to the b&g rd75 in price...
I will ask to à friend who lives in Tokyo how've they cost in Japan.

Very non conventional système you have. Bravo.
Old 25th August 2013, 09:45 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Do you remenber the flat driver Sony made in the 80s' for crurent line?

Hide this!Advertise here!