diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Planars & Exotics (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/planars-exotics/)
-   -   Additional magnets for Magnepan...? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/planars-exotics/241188-additional-magnets-magnepan.html)

BowmanDk 21st August 2013 07:22 PM

Additional magnets for Magnepan...?

Hi!
I am an (almost) happy owner of Magnepan MG1,2īs.
Like many others, I find their sound stage, coherence, and pure "naturalness" special and a pure Joy for a modest Price.
And as many others, I miss the last "see through" and almost physical dynamic sensation of instruments like saxophone, the grand piano and violin.
I go to concerts, and know how they sound in real life. Brutal at times, and shocking dynamic. (Raising time).

Then I remembered reading an article some years ago, about some ribbon Apogee-like speakers, who came in two versions. Standard, and with a double set of magnets. Mounted "back to back", raising effienciy about 6db. And subjectively made them sound very dynamic, more open and hard-hitting when required.

Of course, it will affect the linearity slightly. A "low-Qér bass, and probably a smoothed frequency response. Maybe a slightly rising treble,too.

SO my question to you Guys and Girls... Is; has anyone tried this on Maggies? Is it a good idea, worth trying?

Are the magnets in the MG1.2 Neo or Ferrit?

Any experiences and thoughts will be helpful.

P.S. Yes, I know, that adding rigid stands which supports them at the back, and (the very helpful and sympatic) Peter Gunnīs crossover and frame "absorbing energy"-ideas, will make them more dynamic and transparent.

I just want to do both if possible... Except turning them, an listen through their backs...

Thanks!

john65b 22nd August 2013 02:00 AM

I think the Apogee your referring to is the Scintilla. It had an interesting Mid/HF Tweeter ribbons (i think there were five total ribbons in that long/narrow annular space?)

WrineX 5th September 2013 06:26 PM

this will raise eficiency, even beter is push pull. like addign another MG 1.2 on the backside , the magnets have to reppel eachother to achive push pull though.

only problem is that magnepans have very narrow holes betwen the mangets, by clsing the backside with another pice of metal with holes could end up in losing allot of the eficiency gained. it can even make it sound dull and dead , and create standing waves between the plates, and or damping them membrane to much so it takes moro force to push the ari out of the little holes.

adding more magnet in fron to the membrane is almost impossibe you then have to remove the complete mylar ad magnets , raise the spacers and redo you membrane... you dont want to do that i assure you that

WrineX 5th September 2013 07:14 PM

Sorry i cant edit my last post,, so sorry for all the typo's

JAMESBOS 5th September 2013 10:38 PM

Have built several FRP (ABOUT 60 INCLUDING RE-BUILDS) Have tried push pulls, not really worth the extra trouble, believe me. Still building different diaphragms also experimenting with different magnets and perforated steel sheeting. Still learning, will I ever get to Nirvana? who knows, I certainly don't.

kevinkr 5th September 2013 11:23 PM

Enjoy them for what they are, and consider carefully the amplifier you pair with them. Attempting to modify them this way is probably not going to yield the results you want. (I had MG1.2s and the later MG1.6 QR) Amps with lots of dynamic headroom work better with these inefficient speakers.

Recorded/reproduced music in home is never going to come close to the real experience of a live performance in a good venue..

ide2003 5th September 2013 11:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BowmanDk (Post 3604252)
Hi!

P.S. Yes, I know, that adding rigid stands which supports them at the back, and (the very helpful and sympatic) Peter Gunnīs crossover and frame "absorbing energy"-ideas, will make them more dynamic and transparent.

I just want to do both if possible... Except turning them, an listen through their backs...

Thanks!

go first with solid wood frame Bowman if you have'nt, mine is narrower panel than original. works wonderful with my SMGa, more transparency and as a bonus much better staging and speaker positioning is much less critical

best
Attachment 369568

sreten 5th September 2013 11:59 PM

Hi,

There is no place to add additional magnets effectively.
If there was, Magneplanar would have already done it.

rgds, sreten.

kevinkr 6th September 2013 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ide2003 (Post 3621512)
go first with solid wood frame Bowman if you have'nt, mine is narrower panel than original. works wonderful with my SMGa, more transparency and as a bonus much better staging and speaker positioning is much less critical

best
Attachment 369568

Looks nice, but I would expect due to the shorter path length around the diaphragm that the bass rolls off a lot sooner, which could account for some your observations. Are you using an external woofer?

ide2003 6th September 2013 01:59 AM

Thanks kevin, bass on SMGa is not that punchy anyway, yes it rolls off a little bit, drove them with Aleph J clone. Somehow bass roll off compensated by much wider staging & fuller sound