diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Planars & Exotics (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/planars-exotics/)
-   -   MARTIN LOGAN CLS schematics (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/planars-exotics/240853-martin-logan-cls-schematics.html)

Williams Audio 15th August 2013 10:39 AM

MARTIN LOGAN CLS schematics

1 Attachment(s)
hi all,

i need the schematics of the ML CLS
the electronics box with one audio transformer
this is an early model
best regards
williams

john65b 15th August 2013 05:15 PM

I have it at home (at work now). If someone doesn't post it by the time i get home, I will post one.

TYU - where are you??

Williams Audio 15th August 2013 07:29 PM

thanks, i am waiting for your mail

best regards,
williams

john65b 15th August 2013 11:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I know I have another one...don't know where I got this, or why they are different...

john65b 16th August 2013 01:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Found the other... (3 pages)

Williams Audio 16th August 2013 06:13 AM

OK John
thanks a lot this the one i was looking
have a nice weekend
best regards
williams

bolserst 16th August 2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john65b (Post 3596987)
I have it at home (at work now). If someone doesn't post it by the time i get home, I will post one.

Thanks for sharing the CLS schematic. Very interesting...
If I read it correctly, when no music is playing, the signal sensing circuit turns on the TRIAC(TR1) and this drops the bias voltage to 1/3 the value it would be when music is playing. I wonder why they did that rather than turning off the bias completely like they did with the SL3 and other models?

Mike Beck 16th August 2013 06:55 PM

CLS Bias Switching

Quote:

Originally Posted by bolserst (Post 3597922)
Thanks for sharing the CLS schematic. Very interesting...
If I read it correctly, when no music is playing, the signal sensing circuit turns on the TRIAC(TR1) and this drops the bias voltage to 1/3 the value it would be when music is playing. I wonder why they did that rather than turning off the bias completely like they did with the SL3 and other models?

Just guessing, but since this was their first (?) full-range ESL, maybe the conductive coating was higher resistivity for constant-charge operation and they worried it would take too long to charge from zero?

bolserst 18th August 2013 10:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Beck (Post 3598146)
Just guessing, but since this was their first (?) full-range ESL, maybe the conductive coating was higher resistivity for constant-charge operation and they worried it would take too long to charge from zero?

Could be, especially considering how wide the panel is and the HV contacts are only run along the sides.
Looking at a picture of the interface box for the CLSII, it looks like the 2nd generation CLS did not include any sort of signal sensing or HV auto on/off circuitry.

tyu 19th August 2013 11:27 AM

Vary ture about the bias feed..............by this time thay had to make a U feed.........one side did not cut IT!
...........Thats a bias feed on bouth sides an a cross the bottem...............to bad thay did not do the top.....This would have gave full output of the panels for a longer time.........but this is when thay were saleing panels for a fair $$.............

The Work i have been doing with the Old Acoustat panels i feel you must have them bias up for 4-5 days till thay realy shine...........oh thay well play sound in a min........but dont get fully charged for days.......
.An ANy of the ML sound much better when on all the time
Anyone with the CLS would gane a lot seting them up to stay on all the time!