Conical horns 600Hz and up

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Im looking for some plans to build front speaker horns,

First ones will be straight conical horns made in a similar way to OMA's

3_00_AC1-in-cherry-with-an-oil-and-wax-finish.jpg

Next will be Tractrix and then big JMLC

These will be powered by an as yet unknown 2" Compression driver, and with a cut off between somewhere between 200-500Hz (size dependant)

I plan to make from either 18mm birch plywood as a test, and then European Oak, cutting the compound angles on a festool ts55 and on my table saw.

If anyone has any advise or plans or information on building the conical one, please chime in.

300Hz MDF ones knocked up. Came together in a dry run perhaps 1-2mm out, slipped a lot when glueing up as held with just masking tape. Will use domino's on the next, proper one. So a bit gappy, and not up to final finish but a good start.

I need to work out how to join the driver to the turned entry horn and then to this.

Final will be from beautiful European Oak, ready and waiting. Just need some 2" drivers now!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Should have domino'd, got too excited,

With the proper ones I will. My European oak isn't quite wide enough to get two leaves out of one width.

Maybe cherry or I might just try a proper pair with 18mm birch ply.

Still no compression driver to test and see if I like it before committing time and money!

@ Zobsky, any pis of your horns?

A few, here's one when I was testing it out with a TB W5-1880 . Eventually, I broke down the horn as I used crappy glue for the sides and crappy ply, so the mechanical strength just wasn't there, resulting in a few wierd resonances. But the building technique itself was not at fault.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.