eBay Elvamide - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd June 2013, 06:08 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default eBay Elvamide

A couple months ago I bought some Elvamide off an eBay seller, who I've purchased items before and seems to be honorable.
Today I thought I'd try to make some solution, and after developing a stir motor, I heated the Methanol to just under it's reflux point per the Dupont instructions and processed the mix for nearly 2 hours without the Elvamide really showing any signs of dissolve.

Have anyone else tried this stuff?

*Sorry, just found a post on this subject

Last edited by audioquestM-40; 22nd June 2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old 22nd June 2013, 10:49 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

6 hours of mixing and the Elvamide in Methanol is barely dissolving. I'd steer clear of the stuff on eBay. I've set it at just below the threshold of the boiling point of Methanol. I can tell some of the pellets have started to dissolve only because the fluid is turning opaque. The Grolsch beer is currently the only thing keeping my patience!

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by audioquestM-40; 22nd June 2013 at 10:51 PM.
Old 23rd June 2013, 12:45 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

How concentrated did you try to make? How aggressive was your mixing? Pulverizing the cubes before adding to methanol should help speed up dissolution.

Oh, and be careful! Methanol is pretty toxic and the vapor is very ignitable (I did not see any condenser on your flask).
Old 23rd June 2013, 02:22 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetsweetback View Post
How concentrated did you try to make? How aggressive was your mixing? Pulverizing the cubes before adding to methanol should help speed up dissolution.

Oh, and be careful! Methanol is pretty toxic and the vapor is very ignitable (I did not see any condenser on your flask).
Mixed and controlled per the Dupont spec sheet
Old 23rd June 2013, 02:41 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Think you'll need a couple dozen beer be a late night
Old 23rd June 2013, 02:45 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaStar View Post
Think you'll need a couple dozen beer be a late night
Oh yeah, did that earlier and a bottle of The Kraken...we're good-to-go...maybe I should see if the Kraken has the right properties for a Mylar treatment!

Click the image to open in full size.

Hide this!Advertise here!