Martin Logan CLS membrane re-do - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th June 2013, 11:27 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Martin Logan CLS membrane re-do

I've been talking about this in the Apogee thread, and a diligent member reminded me we are getting off track, thank you, so here I go on a proper one.

I decided to re-mylar the CLS I have and have a question. People say one failure is the charge ring as all they did was wrap the bias wire around the aluminum charge ring strip. Mine didn't go bad for this reason, just age. I was thinking of using a 18 or 20 ga copper wire that I can solder the bias wire to. It also would protrude a little higher ensuring good contact with the membrane coating. What do you people think, any flaws with this idea?

Here are my freshly covered panels. I'll post photos of my simple yet effective mylar installation jig later that helped me do a perfect covering without wrinkles.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by audioquestM-40; 9th June 2013 at 11:33 PM.
Old 9th June 2013, 11:38 PM   #2
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

Ha! Looks great! I think a wire bias ring around teh entire panel (not just sides and bottom) would be just fine. Have you decided what you will use for coating? What tension did you end up using?

I was gonna start on mine this weekend and got busy with other crap.

Let's see some jig pics!
Old 10th June 2013, 12:00 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Not knowing how much to tension it to, I used 5 pounds of pull lengthwise and 2 sideways. That seems to eliminate all wrinkles before adhering it to the stators.
I already got the foil material for the ring, but I like the idea of the copper wire. I think there is a better chance of full contact all the way around where as the foil is pretty thin and even any waves in the foam or stator could make it not touch 100%, not that it may really matter (?)
I order some Elvamide a few weeks ago, but then found a can of Licron Crystal ( another member found me some) so it should hopefully be here tomorrow. From what everyone says, the Licron seems to be the way to go so that's where I'm headed.
Once they are ready to bond, I think I'll clamp them together temporarily to do a test run to make sure all is well

Last edited by audioquestM-40; 10th June 2013 at 12:02 AM.
Old 10th June 2013, 12:44 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Cool, let us know how it works out. I will plan my CLS Mylar "Makeover" soon.

Many thought the opening and re-mylaring the CLS was impossible. Bah!
Old 10th June 2013, 01:02 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john65b View Post
Cool, let us know how it works out. I will plan my CLS Mylar "Makeover" soon.

Many thought the opening and re-mylaring the CLS was impossible. Bah!
Exactly. taking them apart was easy with a good razor knife

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11th June 2013, 06:22 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioquestM-40 View Post
I was thinking of using a 18 or 20 ga copper wire that I can solder the bias wire to. It also would protrude a little higher ensuring good contact with the membrane coating. What do you people think, any flaws with this idea?
I imagine this <possibly> leading to high stress in the diaphragm at the points where it contacts the wire? But that probably depends on what material you're using for spacers -- double-sided foam should be compliant enough, but something harder might not? Good luck!

You might call up Russ at justrealmusic for a chat...
Old 12th June 2013, 03:44 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andersonix View Post
I imagine this <possibly> leading to high stress in the diaphragm at the points where it contacts the wire? But that probably depends on what material you're using for spacers -- double-sided foam should be compliant enough, but something harder might not? Good luck!

You might call up Russ at justrealmusic for a chat...
My thoughts exactly, I'm using foam tape all around and i'll dress the ends of the copper wire so nothing will damage the Mylar
Old 12th June 2013, 05:04 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

The Double Sided tape can compress a bit and I think it will be fine. I plan the same with 15AWG bare wire loop.

If I can just get some time to start the re-mylar project....
Old 12th June 2013, 06:30 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioquestM-40 View Post
...I already got the foil material for the ring, but I like the idea of the copper wire. I think there is a better chance of full contact all the way around where as the foil is pretty thin and even any waves in the foam or stator could make it not touch 100%...
If you purchase copper foil tape with conductive adhesive you can stick it directly to the coating on the diaphragm rather than relying on pressure contact from the opposing foam spacer.
Old 12th June 2013, 06:56 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I have aluminum tape for HVAC and have used it before, also works great

Hide this!Advertise here!