Martin Logan CLS membrane re-do - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th June 2013, 08:50 PM   #31
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

I beleive the original Mylar thickness was 6 microns, so cannot be thicker Mylar.

Are the stators clamped tight?
Old 19th June 2013, 10:46 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john65b View Post
I beleive the original Mylar thickness was 6 microns, so cannot be thicker Mylar.

Are the stators clamped tight?
Exactly what I used and they are tight all around
Old 21st June 2013, 01:09 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Add another coating of Licron?
Old 2nd November 2013, 04:12 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

Hey AQ,

Did you finally find the issue of dull sound?? Charge Leak?
Old 3rd November 2013, 05:04 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Default DS Tape Sticking

Re: long term "sticktion" of DS tape, pay close attention to Jazzman's diagram showing how the DS tape extends beyond the edges of the stators and is wrapped over the edges and taped down with polyester tape. I didn't notice Charlie changed his original procedure until recently and consequently I am working on my fourth rebuild now (the other three failed due to tape not adhering to the stators.) The DS tape will not hold the Mylar tension unless it is wrapped over the edges. I also have noticed the tape stuck much better to stators coated with Rustoleum gloss black as a final coat, rather than gloss clear coat that I currently use. After the panels are completed,I will clamp them to new maple frames I have built. This should help to insure the ESL panels don't pull apart. HTH.
Old 3rd November 2013, 06:43 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldtraut View Post
Re: long term "sticktion" of DS tape, pay close attention to Jazzman's diagram showing how the DS tape extends beyond the edges of the stators and is wrapped over the edges and taped down with polyester tape. I didn't notice Charlie changed his original procedure until recently and consequently I am working on my fourth rebuild now (the other three failed due to tape not adhering to the stators.) The DS tape will not hold the Mylar tension unless it is wrapped over the edges. I also have noticed the tape stuck much better to stators coated with Rustoleum gloss black as a final coat, rather than gloss clear coat that I currently use. After the panels are completed,I will clamp them to new maple frames I have built. This should help to insure the ESL panels don't pull apart. HTH.
I should add and clarify:
My second generation panels, which I am still using, still has the foam tape merely overhanging the stator edges by 1/16", followed by over-wrapping the edges with 2-mil polyester packing tape. This arrangement is still holding tension on the diaphragms 5 years later so it does work-- but it might not have worked if the foam tape were not fresh (good tack) when applied, and/or if the diaphragm coating were not solvent cleaned to promote adhesion to the tape. Some paints have more surface energy than others, which helps adhesion.

I decided to recommend using wider foam tape and wrapping it over the stator edges for two reasons. First, it should hold diaphragm tension even if the foam tape doesn't stick all that well to the stator.

Secondly, a conversation I had with our friend Steve (a.k.a. Bolserst) lead me to believe that the high dielectric-strength polyester tape may actually reflect and focus the corona back onto the stator edge (and possibly breaking down the stator coating). It follows then, that by first wrapping the stator edges with the lower-dielectric foam tape, followed by polyester tape over the top, the corona would not be as intensely reflected back onto the stator edges... yet the corona is still confined enough to prevent arcing to the opposing stator.

I actually have not built a panel with the wider foam tape wrapped over the stator edges as shown in my updated sketch, but if I ever have to redo my panels, this is how I will do it. I might even use 1.5" wide tape and wrap a full .75" over the stator edge. And it may be easier to get the foam tape to stick to the outside of the stator if it were wrapped over the edges before tensioning and bonding to the diaphragm (the excess diaphragm would then be wrapped over the stator edges after tensioning). In any case, I'm now convinced it's better to wrap the foam tape over the stator edges.

Last edited by CharlieM; 3rd November 2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old 31st January 2014, 07:24 PM   #37
C.A.P is offline C.A.P  United States
diyAudio Member

Great thread I would love to hear feed back on sound and such as my CLS are dead or LOW

Hide this!Advertise here!