Martin Logan CLS membrane re-do - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th June 2013, 03:31 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVWERK View Post
The double sided tape used around the perimeter will keep a constant tension for the long haul?
I can see it used on sides as very little tension is needed because of the curve.
Will you be gluing the final stator top and bottom sections to keep it from moving over time?

Regards
David
That's how they are from the factory, just DS tape all around. Actually the sides would take more stress than the ends. Once they are taken apart, the front stator has less curvature than the rear one

Last edited by audioquestM-40; 16th June 2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 16th June 2013, 04:04 PM   #22
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes, double sided tape all around, but there was additional tape on top bottom too to hold the vertical tension...see pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $(KGrHqZ,!lIFGosSQ!m5BRvN+7ELV!~~60_57.JPG (266.6 KB, 186 views)
Old 17th June 2013, 12:03 AM   #23
AVWERK is offline AVWERK  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanx for the info as I have SL3,s that for now don't need any help yet
I am in the process of rebuilding a second pair of Quad 57 that need a quite different and more difficult tension arangement and thought the ML,s were similiar
Good to know and appreciate your posts and efforts
Regards
David
Old 17th June 2013, 12:06 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john65b View Post
Yes, double sided tape all around, but there was additional tape on top bottom too to hold the vertical tension...see pic
Yes, that cello tape holds the Mylar to the rear stator. I'm guessing they did that because of the longitudinal tension of the Mylar. I did the same, in fact I did it all around just as an added precaution
Old 18th June 2013, 02:59 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Well, I got them all put back together, and while they work ok, they sound rather dull, nowhere near the detail of the Monoliths I also own. Does anything go bad in the power supply that would affect this?
Old 18th June 2013, 11:47 AM   #26
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

You may not have enough bias voltage, but if it sounded good before, no reason to think something is now wrong with the interface.

I would check for leaks off the mylar. Do you know the Neon lamp bias charge circuit they have on Quads? I will post the schematic. It about $15 of parts from Rat Shack. It blinks when bias charge is on. If blinks quickly, or stays on, you have a bias leak from mylar to stator(s).

Look along the edges of the stators....look for chips exposing the bare metal underneath the enamel. Cover with black nail polish - couple coats. If you leak enough voltage off the mylar, you will get poor spl and never sound right.
Old 18th June 2013, 12:02 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Ok, thanks. There weren't any chips in the black coating at all, I did a very thorough inspection and it's coated 100%. What else will cause leaks off the mylar? The Licron seemed to have a nice even coat. I wonder if they aren't producing the voltage they should? What goes wrong in the voltage ladder, can the diodes go bad?

Last edited by audioquestM-40; 18th June 2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 18th June 2013, 01:30 PM   #28
Calvin is offline Calvin  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi,

how do You apply the bias voltage? Metal charge ring or simply open wire end after ML style? Make sure that there is really a connection between Licron and wire. Btw. Most self adhesive copper foils use non-conductive glue, and I wouldn´t bet on the functioning and longterm stability of those with conductive glue layer.
Test the functioning with open panel, i.e. just the stator the diaphragm is mounted to against the diaphragm. Applying the bias and the membrane will be deflected towards the stator, eventually sticking to it.

jauu
Calvin
Old 18th June 2013, 03:33 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
Hi,

how do You apply the bias voltage? Metal charge ring or simply open wire end after ML style? Make sure that there is really a connection between Licron and wire. Btw. Most self adhesive copper foils use non-conductive glue, and I wouldn´t bet on the functioning and longterm stability of those with conductive glue layer.
Test the functioning with open panel, i.e. just the stator the diaphragm is mounted to against the diaphragm. Applying the bias and the membrane will be deflected towards the stator, eventually sticking to it.

jauu
Calvin
I installed a copper wire charge ring all around the perimeter, it charges almost instantly so I don't think contact with the membrane is an issue
Old 18th June 2013, 07:40 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioquestM-40 View Post
Well, I got them all put back together, and while they work ok, they sound rather dull, nowhere near the detail of the Monoliths I also own. Does anything go bad in the power supply that would affect this?
By dull do you mean the top end sounds rolled off?
If so, any chance you installed thicker mylar than what was originally used?

The thicker(ie heavier) the mylar the sooner the -6db/oct HF roll off starts.
Here is link to measurements of HF roll off for 3.8µm, 6.0µm, and 12.0µm diaphragms:
Electrostatic speakers as microphones?

Hide this!Advertise here!