Stacked Quad ESL 57 - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd June 2013, 11:54 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubenstein View Post
303 is a class B amplifier if my memory serve me proper?
Class AB, its a cheap match for ESL 57 and very cheap and plentiful in the UK. Its not the last word in HiFi (sugden are better in my opinion) but it does work nicely.
Old 14th August 2013, 02:48 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

I have a stacked pair of 57s by Wayne Picquet in Orlando, Florida.

I originally used a pair of the latest Quad amps with good success.

I prefer the sound of tubes, however, so I had a friend of mine who is a tube genius modify a Jadis Defy 7. He adjusted the amp to one ohm and it drives the Quad 57s nicely. I had to change the name from Jadis to Readon Defy 7. He extensively modified and upgraded all of the parts etc. I do not pretend to know the details... it is wonderful.

Sources: Meridian CD, Oppo SACD, MacBook Pro with various digital processors, Grado Platinum cartridge

TLE in Florida and North Carolina
Old 19th August 2013, 11:55 PM   #23
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tleddy View Post
I have a stacked pair of 57s by Wayne Picquet in Orlando, Florida.

I originally used a pair of the latest Quad amps with good success.

I prefer the sound of tubes, however, so I had a friend of mine who is a tube genius modify a Jadis Defy 7. He adjusted the amp to one ohm and it drives the Quad 57s nicely. I had to change the name from Jadis to Readon Defy 7. He extensively modified and upgraded all of the parts etc. I do not pretend to know the details... it is wonderful.

Sources: Meridian CD, Oppo SACD, MacBook Pro with various digital processors, Grado Platinum cartridge

TLE in Florida and North Carolina
Nice , any pics .....
Old 9th September 2013, 07:20 PM   #24
Jallu is offline Jallu  Finland
diyAudio Member

Hi all,

I saw this thread and thought to tell about my ESL system.

I have a pair of triple stacked Quad ESLs. They are mounted in custom built frames in curved arrangement with listening distance of 3.5 meters. For rigidity, they are supported tightly between ceiling and floor. They are driven with 3 Transcendent Sound T16 OTL stereo power amplifiers, so each speaker has it's own amplification. OTL's are connected in parallel to Transcendent Grounded Grip preamp. In addition, the lowest frequencies are produced with two closed 350 litres subs with 8 x 12'' Peerless drivers and Hypex plate amps.

I have gradually developed the system from a single pair and added additional amplification. The speakers are refurbished by myself, thanks to material/parts and help from Gary Jacobson and Arend-Jan.

After several years of upgrading I now feel there is nothing to change and everything sounds as I want them to sound.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg set3.jpg (45.3 KB, 284 views)
Old 10th September 2013, 02:23 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Nice , very nice ..... Did you try curving them convex vs concave ..?
Old 10th September 2013, 06:23 PM   #26
Jallu is offline Jallu  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
Nice , very nice ..... Did you try curving them convex vs concave ..?
I tried first a vertical arrangement, but it sounded a bit treble shy. Concaved seemed to be a logical solution to reduce dispersion of highs. The measured response at the listening spot looks nice indeed.
Old 11th September 2013, 09:41 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Reading through this post the most common opinion here is that stacking a pair of quads in a concaved Arc is best. But the mark Levinson system, OneThingAudio opinion, and Peter Walkers own sketch of stacked quads in the recommended speed frame are all using a convexed Arc.
So why the sudden change in recent years ?
surely these people also had measuring equipment to determin whats best ?

Regards
Old 17th September 2013, 04:55 PM   #28
RNMarsh is online now RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

The problems i had with quads were that they would not play out enough... and especially in the bass... the panels would arc over and burn the conductor off the film... and the sensitivity would drop. I ended up crossing over to a sub. I used the quads mostly for mid-hi range. I never tried stacking them. But then Quad came out with a newer design (latest) and that issue has not happened with me since then. But still use sub to extend the bass.

Thx-RNMarsh

Last edited by RNMarsh; 17th September 2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 21st September 2013, 05:32 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubenstein View Post
Recently, I have a conversation with peoples about stacking Quad ESL 57. One says the low impedance of stacked Quad ESL 57 (0.9 ohm on high frequency) mainly because of the high capacitive, that is no good to tube amplification at all.

Assume room size and ceiling height are not an issue, how come people don't use 4 pairs in stacking? They can putting 2 for a set and wired in series, then parallel both sets, the nominal impedance should be equivalent to the ONE SINGLE pair ESL 57 that is 8 ohm and min 2 ohm on high frequency.

Is the capacitance issue (at high frequency) really that serious even under series-parallel approach describe above??
The Quads may lose some of the coherence using them stacked. I found they never delivered enough power in the treble or the bass for which I used a bass woofer 18 Fane in a sealed box. Asymptotic roll off in the treble approaching 18KHz, the stacked Quads.

The trouble is you cannot get the dynamic power with panel speakers period. The diaphragm has to rely on the stiffness of the voltage and air damping. Dynamic speakers will deliver more exciting dynamics albeit with slightly more distortion. The ELS 57 is probably best for the broad midrange vocal stuff.

I still retain my ELS57's as a mid range reference because of the lovely tone
Old 22nd September 2013, 04:23 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMarsh View Post
The problems i had with quads were that they would not play out enough... and especially in the bass... the panels would arc over and burn the conductor off the film... and the sensitivity would drop. I ended up crossing over to a sub. I used the quads mostly for mid-hi range. I never tried stacking them. But then Quad came out with a newer design (latest) and that issue has not happened with me since then. But still use sub to extend the bass.

Thx-RNMarsh
When refurbished and deburred 57's have no issues with drive, arcing is very rare and unbelievable levels are obtained when stacked ...

Hide this!Advertise here!