Are Apogees Bass Panels Unrepairable? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th May 2013, 01:14 PM   #11
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

When you take out the 10uf, you are raising the HP filter to a higher frequency. The reason its moving is it may be too low of a frequency in the first place, or just loose.

I checked my foam pad where the ribbon bends back (about a 9 inched below upper ribbon anchor point on my DS) and it was completely gone. I put in a new peice of foam and it tensioned (took up slack) the ribbon just enough that it now does not move as much...
Old 14th May 2013, 01:43 PM   #12
tyu is offline tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

All good points....
But its the caps an coils...Look the Caps are +- 10% hell thay could be at 20years of hard driving diff amps.. 100-120mf now.....An Any coils make movment when there gluded down... EZE to see this... an the should be nothing in the middel of the coils ...there best sound is when there just hanging....in freeair!
Too low crossover point.. is what i am saying....there should be NO movement for the Best sound....with any tweeter... even if it just hanging... the Stage has nothing No foam... it just hangs...
For years this has been the BIg downd sides For me ...With Magnepans..
There so called True Ribbons Move all over the place....
An i have even seen some say this was good for the sound...my brain dose not work that way....i dont read moveing the book..
So any movement is out for the best sound....FOR ME!
But like i said.... Most well not do the work!

One more way to get better sound with Apogees it too just let the covers hang...puting in the bottem swes in can unaline the Drivers.....
this give better bass an highs...better sound all around that all i wont!

Last edited by tyu; 14th May 2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 14th May 2013, 02:21 PM   #13
tyu is offline tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

An Yes when your driveing hard with a good Amp.... The Apogee or any other Ribbon Mid-tweeter....An it get so Hot you can just tuch it or hot at all....
The crossover point is to low...Or you got a Amp that can keep up!
An Guess what the Apogees are all over 20years old now...an if thay still work now an you fix this...get a nother 20years an Better sound...not bad for just pulling a cap an moveing some coils around!......Have fun live long have good sound

Last edited by tyu; 14th May 2013 at 02:23 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!