is a Dipole exotic? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th May 2013, 09:37 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default is a Dipole exotic?

If it's not maybe I should be bumped to another forum but someone else posted about dipoles so here goes. >_>

Is there anything special about dipole speakers that's different than say, having two of the same speaker mounted back to back out of phase to face forward and backwards? Like lets say I wanted to have a dipole surround which matches the mids/tweeters of other speakers, could I just use two of the same model back to back like that... or is there something else special about the output or dispersion pattern or something to keep in mind?

At least two surround configurations i've read about specifically request dipole surrounds on some but not all channels.
Old 6th May 2013, 01:27 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

the spacing distance between the front and back have a direct impact on freq resp including deep lobing/nulls created by phase imbalance which can be extreme if not properly implemented.

Would not suggest such
Old 6th May 2013, 03:30 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Greebster nailed it. Spacing is everything at mid and high frequencies so your idea wouldn't work.

I bet the guys at Bell Labs that came up with the first electrostatic speaker almost 100 years ago thought dipoles were exotic.
Old 6th May 2013, 10:52 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggyboy View Post
If it's not maybe I should be bumped to another forum but someone else posted about dipoles so here goes. >_>

Is there anything special about dipole speakers that's different than say, having two of the same speaker mounted back to back out of phase to face forward and backwards? Like lets say I wanted to have a dipole surround which matches the mids/tweeters of other speakers, could I just use two of the same model back to back like that... or is there something else special about the output or dispersion pattern or something to keep in mind?

At least two surround configurations i've read about specifically request dipole surrounds on some but not all channels.
I know a german dipole design in which two tweeters were used. The reason was that the tweeters were closed designs while midrange and woofers were open design. So they needed a second one for dipole action. Don't know anymore which way ('polarity') the tweeter was connected. With the second tweeter the indirect soundfield will be more balanced, just like the direct sound. It measured very well.
Old 3rd June 2013, 11:36 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I think that dipoles exist in a different section, as they are in most parts conventional. Dipole based ideas are very popular, and should in my opinion have their own section, as you see posts on this subject in each of the loudspeaker sections.

The overlap between DIY dipoles and DIY conventional speakers is greater than DIY dipoles and DIY Electrostatics, Air Motion Transformers, Piezoelectric, Ribbon and planar magnetic, Bending wave, Digital, Plasma and NeXT based speakers.

This said this forum is a catch all for all of us who don't fit neatly into the other categories. So in Summary if I was a moderator / admin on this site, I would make a new section, and move your thread and many from the subwoofer, multiway, and fullrange forums.

Unless some one creates a new forum section, I say welcome to the chaos that is planars-exotics.
Old 3rd June 2013, 11:42 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenhamburg View Post
I think that dipoles exist in a different section, as they are in most parts conventional. Dipole based ideas are very popular, and should in my opinion have their own section, as you see posts on this subject in each of the loudspeaker sections.

The overlap between DIY dipoles and DIY conventional speakers is greater than DIY dipoles and DIY Electrostatics, Air Motion Transformers, Piezoelectric, Ribbon and planar magnetic, Bending wave, Digital, Plasma and NeXT based speakers.

This said this forum is a catch all for all of us who don't fit neatly into the other categories. So in Summary if I was a moderator / admin on this site, I would make a new section, and move your thread and many from the subwoofer, multiway, and fullrange forums.

Unless some one creates a new forum section, I say welcome to the chaos that is planars-exotics.
Oh and I would create a Horn speaker section too, Best regards.
Old 3rd June 2013, 11:05 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggyboy View Post
Are you sure they weren't talking about "Bi-pole" surrounds? This might be two monopoles placed back-to-back.

Hide this!Advertise here!