NEO10 + NEO3 dipole? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th January 2014, 05:44 PM   #11
satx is offline satx  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxdemon View Post
I am more or less trying to copy that design with a single 8 inch woofer in the bottom cab. I am still lost as to designing the crossover.I tried using Jeffs passive crossover designer but could not find frd files for any of the drivers. When I tried using spl trace to make my own frd file and loaded it it didn't load anything.

I even read through the "designing your own crossover" thread which was very informative but I have no idea what to do about the rising FR of the NEO10.
Maybe you've figured it out by now, but if not... I'm not sure if you can take the traces directly into PCD; I've never tried it.

You should make both a FR and Imp. trace then take those into JB's Response Modeler. Load the trace FRD at the top using the appropriate tab and load Imp. file in the impedance section. Enter the TS parameters for the driver and box size in the impedance section and the baffle dimensions at the bottom. Then include the baffle effects in your FR plot at the top.

Now click save modified response tab. Also save modified impedance file.

Now create min phase versions of those saved modified files using the two phase tabs in the impedance section.

Now you should have two files that reflect the baffle and vb of your enclosure and the correct phase that you can take into PCD.

Use the new min phase files in PCD for driver frd. and imp. You will not use the trace files any longer unless you change your box size or baffle in which case you'll need to repeat the Response Modeler steps.

That's about it. I've found this way much easier than trying to use the FRD consortium steps and programs like edge.

The best way of course is to measure your drivers in your box.
Old 31st January 2014, 03:45 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Where can I find this JB response modeler you're talking about?
Is it available to forum members?
It may be what I've been looking for...
Old 31st January 2014, 04:17 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvsantosmd View Post
Sorry, JB is Jeff Bagby. Here's the link Loudspeaker Design Software

Make sure you follow the steps above to get accurate results and don't skip the phase extractor step. If you don't use the phase extracted frd and zma files your crossovers probably won't perform as modeled.
Old 2nd February 2014, 10:20 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I have virtually the same speaker, SLS 10, Neo10, Neo3 in an open baffle.

Sounds very nice.

I'm running active crossing LR4 at 300 and 3000.
Old 5th February 2014, 02:23 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvsantosmd View Post
Here's a nice little tutorial for using Response Modeler. It actually takes you from tracing until the data is input into PCD.

https://sites.google.com/site/undefi...d-measurements

Hide this!Advertise here!