Apogee Buzz Fix - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th January 2014, 09:25 PM   #41
taotao is offline taotao  Germany
diyAudio Member

Yes, the stages are very nice in the midrange (wish I would have kept mine...)
Now, as I've got the possibility to digital equalize them, I would tame their strong 50-60 Hz resonance. Oh, and I would siliconize them :-), because you can remove the backplate, where the magnets are glued on, so it's easy doing.
Stages too, suffer from the rotting foam, only later, 'cause they are produced later in time.

Mine Duetta Signatures don't buzz... At least never at the volumes I play them. And I crank the volume often very high. The stage, they start to buzz, is for me unlistenable, not because the buzzing, but because the mrt ribbon starts to sound harsh and shrill.

For my duettas (before I applied silicone), the only reason of buzzing was, the membran vibrates against the mdf frame.
The alu on the kapton is glued very well on my speakers; if it would be loose on some places, I guess it would buzz too.

I don't understand the weather-stripe methode clearly, what about the backside?
There, you can't put this stripe.
The buzzing emanates from front- and backside, 'cause the foam is rotten on both sides.

For me, the backside-problem is only solveable by pouring liquid silicone and let it flow down. It creeps perfectly into the gap. Now with the silicone filling in the gaps, the foil has no chance to hit the wooden frame anymore.

Up to now, I do not see/ hear a negativ effect. And it's years ago, I applied the stuff...
They still play fine.
Old 27th January 2014, 10:11 PM   #42
mroerup is offline mroerup  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to mroerup
Hi.
I recently bought my first ever pair of Apogee speakers. A pair of Stages with fairly new ribbons (both Bass and MT). I live in Denmark and Apogee speakers are rarely seen here. I think it is Graz ribbons and it was done somewhere in Germany. I contacted Graz and asked but he no longer uses the German partners. Apparently there were some conflict, and he couldn't confirm what was actually done. Anyway, the speakers seems to be in fine condition. At least they are now...
After a week or so I did notice some snerring sounds from the left speaker, which I first though came from the Bass membrane. However, it turned out to be from the large inductor coil in the crossover??? I put some standard white "wood glue" on it and this "killed" the snerring sound :-)
The snerring sound could be mistaken for the dreaded Bass rattleing and it only happened playing really Bass heavy music at fairly high volume. Pressing hard on the coil stopped or minimized the snerring, but the glue seems to have fixed it totally.
Just though this information maybe could help others :-)

Regards
MRoerup

Hide this!Advertise here!