Acoustat Spectra 1100 parts - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th April 2013, 10:37 PM   #1
Daudio1 is offline Daudio1  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Acoustat Spectra 1100 parts

I have a pair of Acoustat Spectra 1100's that I don't need anymore. The problem is that the 8" woofers of this hybrid design were damaged and unusable. There are suitable replacement drivers available from Twinstatic Audio in Germany, but I haven't spent the money and time to get them.

If I had a buyer for the 1100's I would get the drivers and install them, but that hasn't happened yet. BTW, the 1100's, and me, are in the Detroit metro area.

My other thought, as I would like to get rid of excess stuff, is to sell the parts. That would be:
2 - Spectra panels
2 - spectra transformers/interface (usable by itself)
2 - woofer crossover with big Alpha Core inductors
2 - Acoustat 'wall-warts', and misc. sorbothane and hardware
2 - amp stands to fit on the back of the 1100's

I guess the woofer box and panel frame would just be scrap then...

I have upgraded the electronics quite a bit, and info on that is partway down this page: Dave's Audio Upgrades and Mods

So what do you think I should do ? Is anyone interested in the restored speakers, or any of the parts ?

Thanks.
Dave Ayers
Old 9th April 2013, 05:43 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I don't currently have much money, so I probably shouldn't even ask, but how much were you thinking you wanted for them, as they stand currently? I'm a hopeless ESL collector, and have been thinking of using spectra 11/1100 panels to replace the damaged center panels on my Model 3s. I'm also in the Detroit area, so at least shipping wouldn't be an issue!
Old 22nd April 2013, 05:56 PM   #3
Daudio1 is offline Daudio1  United States
diyAudio Member

Frommerstop,

I am thinking about $150 for the pair. But I'm not sure that these Spectra panels would be a good replacement for Model 3's. If they are the same width, I suppose that the two sections of the Spectra panel could be wired together, but i don't know if there are any other differences.

Maybe someone else could chime in on their suitability ?

Dave A
Old 22nd April 2013, 06:39 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

If anyone is interested in replacing the woofer apparently the HiVi M8N works well. Maybe some EQ'ing is required to get a flat response.
Old 22nd April 2013, 06:54 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frommerstop View Post
I don't currently have much money, so I probably shouldn't even ask, but how much were you thinking you wanted for them, as they stand currently? I'm a hopeless ESL collector, and have been thinking of using spectra 11/1100 panels to replace the damaged center panels on my Model 3s. I'm also in the Detroit area, so at least shipping wouldn't be an issue!
The center panels in a Model 3 are 8" wide, whereas the Spectra panels are 9" wide. Therefore, the Spectra panels are not a suitable replacement unless you want to rebuild the frame to accept them.

The Spectra panels can be used to replace any 9" panels (like the outer panels in your Model 3's) by wiring the stator grids together.
Old 23rd August 2013, 12:56 AM   #6
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

PM sent
Old 27th August 2013, 01:28 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Good day Daudio,
Are the pannels still for sale ?
Shipping would be to Quebec, Canada.
Regards,
Mathieu
Old 10th September 2013, 08:25 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Trying to fix up spectra 1100

I saw that you have the opposite problem as me, I have working woofers but I haven't gotten the esl's to work, I don't have the wall wort, but I have ac adapters that go from 120V wall to 15VAC 150 mah, do you still have these parts for sale, any advise for getting parts from anyone would be helpful, thanks everyone.
Old 11th September 2013, 10:53 PM   #9
WrineX is offline WrineX  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

twinstatic audio is dutch i think twinstatic.nl ? its from the Netherlands. like me :0
Old 2nd December 2013, 05:52 PM   #10
essepol is offline essepol  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hi

If anyone should stumble on this thread in search of woofers for The Spectra 1100, then I have got two of them I'm willing to sell. The rest will be used for a wild project :-) Just write to me directly if you should be interested.

Hide this!Advertise here!