Hot glue to repair Magnepans? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th April 2013, 03:50 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Hot glue to repair Magnepans?

I am a long time (> 10 years) owner of Magnepans. I curently have had a pair of 1.6 QR for about 8 years. Has not been used about for two years. To no one's surprise, these have had the de-lamination problem. Past repairs were using the Weldwood contact cement suggested on Audio Asylum. It works ok. The problem keeps recurring. I am too lazy and/or don't trust myself enough to do a complete clean-up and re-glue the wires. has anyone ever tried hot glue for the wires? I looked on AA and not much mention of this. I would consider doing it after I'm done with classes (another month). In part I ask because I've become quite the afficionado of the hot glue gun for repairs and wonder if I dare try it with expensive speakers

If nothing else seems it would be harmless to try in a small area and see (hear) how it works -- or doesn't --
Old 7th April 2013, 04:20 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I wonder if the initial heat of the glue as it flows onto the diaphragm would melt or deform the mylar?

I am having visions right now of my father fixing completely inappropriate things with the hot glue gun. He loves to use hot glue more than anything else around the house.

Greg
Old 7th April 2013, 05:30 AM   #3
ktuuri is offline ktuuri  Canada
diyAudio Member

Don't try it, it will melt the Mylar. I have melted Mylar with a heat gun on low setting.
Hot glue would be asking for trouble. Just my opinion
Old 7th April 2013, 01:32 PM   #4
tyu is offline tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

Real trick to geting the Weldwood or 3M77 to hold better an not let go... is after it setup for a day are two.....you come back with a can of spray paint...just put on a lite coate... all over the driver if it gummy... i keep the spray a way from the tweeters.. with the foil it stays down well....the wire well move some times...the tweeter wire will not pull up...in most cases
The spray pant has drires in it .....thay well pull the mostures out... works great.. i have old 25-30 years old maggys ... i have done this with...when i got the speakers you could move the base wire on the mylar... after a lite coate of the spray paint... dryes them out... after 5-6 more years there still like new ..

Never did any hot glue... There your speakers! ...let us know how it works???..

Its
only $6-800.+Shiping to get them re-wired at Magnepan.........Good luck
Old 7th April 2013, 03:30 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

To clarify: as far as I know, it is only the "bass" (wires) that ever have loosened. No problems with the foil tweeters to my knowledge. The concern about melting the Mylar is a valid one. Where can one get a sample piece of Mylar? This would be good to test that it won't melt after hot-glued and also, will a piece of wire adhere to it?
Old 7th April 2013, 03:55 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Mylar has a melting point of 254 degrees C and begins significant loss of dimensional stability at 150 degrees C. Typical hot melt glue guns dispense at about 180 degrees C. I wouldn't use it for a couple reasons...risk of loosing tension in mylar, adds significant mass, and hot melts are not great adhesives for smooth surfaces like mylar film. YMMV!
Old 7th April 2013, 03:57 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Magnepan uses a heat gun to get the mylar set right befor the wire-foil added...so the hot gule.. its going to pull the mylar some....how much is the deal...?? cant say
I have cleaned the Mylar miny times...it not that hard.. eze fix....an speakers can be like new..
but i can dig your point..you know your limets....i well put hot glue on a old panel i have here.
good luck
Old 7th April 2013, 05:28 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default I am Saying DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK! IT is What It Is..

This is 30year old Magnepan Stock Mylar!...Off A pr Of Smg.....
I put the QR foil you see... as a test 4 years Ago....Foil Give Less output than wire!
I have KNOW WAY OF NOing what magnepans MYlar is to day!

Pic 1....Old Mylar...
Pic 2.....HotGlue 40 watt gunn...on 5min....
Pic 3 Back of Mylar..
...You Own your own from here...

Looks to me like it did not pull much...if i were doing this...AN I AM NOT!
It well add wate to the Mylar...but it at the ends SO...Big So...

I would not go strat from the glue gunn..
I would put the glue on something an then put on the wire....there Maggys...

Remimber.....................$6-800. +SHIPING FOR RE-dO,s From Magnepan at lest...
Good luck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new cross esl 014.jpg (932.2 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg new cross esl 015.jpg (989.7 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg new cross esl 016.jpg (1,007.5 KB, 106 views)
Old 9th April 2013, 01:16 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Another way to melt Maggies (maybe)

Hmm, consensus so far is "be careful." Rather than melt my mostly-ok Maggies, does anyone know where I can get a piece of similar Mylar to experiment upon? That would be a great DIY thing ... maybe find the magic adhesive combo that works best? For dolts like me, I can try hot-glueing a piece of wire to the Mylar and see how it works.
For future repairs I may try the 12V car battery method (to get the wire to stick to the Mylar) ... I have read about that, it makes sense, just need an excuse to hook it up. Can the bass panel dissipate (let's see power = v^2/R) so (12*12)/4 = 36 watts? I can do the "finger test" I guess
Old 9th April 2013, 01:39 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

You know, it's funny. Every time I see the insides of a Maggie, I think "My god, they have been making them for so many years and they still look so homemade!" I'd have assumed by now that the "wires" would have been etched or deposited into the mylar like pretty much all other planar manufactures. I did not realize that even the QR tweeter was glued into the mylar. This cannot be good for unit to unit precision or many of us having dealt with delamination. That's what put an end to my Maggies making music. The delam annoyed me enough that I went back to the DIY route. I still got planar mids thanks to BG!

Hide this!Advertise here!