Hot glue to repair Magnepans? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th April 2013, 05:47 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Perhaps the glued to the plastic is their patent

Who is BG?
Old 9th April 2013, 01:04 PM   #12
tyu is offline tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiotech View Post
You know, it's funny. Every time I see the insides of a Maggie, I think "My god, they have been making them for so many years and they still look so homemade!" I'd have assumed by now that the "wires" would have been etched or deposited into the mylar like pretty much all other planar manufactures. I did not realize that even the QR tweeter was glued into the mylar. This cannot be good for unit to unit precision or many of us having dealt with delamination. That's what put an end to my Maggies making music. The delam annoyed me enough that I went back to the DIY route. I still got planar mids thanks to BG!
You are Right it,s Funny!
It is Like a diy setup at Magnepan, Just how it looks....Hand Made In The USA.
People like that A LOT!
An well pay big $$$.... All over the world For it!
Look there still here,.in the Audio Bizz...AN the MG20.7 gets what $13-4K US.

Most dONT get how it work in the Audio bizz..
I work in the Audio bizz in the 1980s-90...
Co. like Magnepan Did things a littel diff..on the $14k thay keep like $7-8k..
Good for them..Thats one reson why there still here..other Great Sounding Speakers for the $$$...
MagnepanS Are just that good.. So if it Works GOOD...Dont FiX it!
An thay were like Mcintosh only one store per City...Some time one store per State!...Some time not even all states......
I for one Have found Falts with there Speakers....
But i have 6 pr Here in my home toDay!... An when i die there be a pr around with my name on them...Right NEXT to my Acoustats....An Apogees...

Someone like Bob Carver Co. an most All others that sold Speakers had a Sales Reps...Minny!......
That got as much $$$ as Bob Did are more..
An Bob made the Speaker,Amp,or what ever...
So if thay made a speaker like the ribbon type AL3...it list was in 1990s $2k.US....Bob only got $400. of that maybe..store front got the speakers for a $1k....Bob had to bilded,box,ship,for half with the rep...so the rep got $500. Bob an others got what was left...so it tuff bizz...Bob Had More Stores fronts...Bob is doing things diff to day...HE sales most of his tube amps himself.......
This is All Just one Panels lovers thoughts...tHERE a LOT OF fun..Have some FUN
Long LIve Acoustats...Apogees........An Magnepan.

Last edited by tyu; 9th April 2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 9th April 2013, 07:37 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

TYU, did you know that Emotiva/Jade Designs just announced that they purchased Bob Carver/The Tube Amp company? Bob is staying on as "mad scientist" while Emotiva will take over business operations.

Soldermizer, BG is Bohlender Graebener makers of planar drivers like the Neo3, 8 and 10 as well as the RD series. Btw, love your username!

Greg
Old 9th April 2013, 07:55 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Well there goes Bob...
He know how to make $$$$$ the big stuff....
This can only mean one thing ..
.He well be comeing out with something new ...
Some thing...maybe more Sand amps..The size an wate of a small bottel of water!
That Runs off the SUN?
IF Bob has sold...the names all thay well get.. An that a neff.....
An if what your say is true...An that a done deal.
I cant wate for the new ?????...Bob is like us Diyners Nuts Most of the time....some all the time..hehe
Till the litestar/SunFire i could not go altheway with Bob... but after owning all i can get my hands on for 30years...TOO Me there is an never has been A better Sand Amp made....
If Bob never did anymore ..An that NOt going to happen
.The Sunfire amps would be a nuf for ever...well for me....but he got someing in mind...thanks for the info

Last edited by tyu; 9th April 2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old 10th April 2013, 02:09 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

According to the news, Bob is STAYING to just be an inventor/developer of new products. So they get the name AND the guy! He's got new subs and other amps in the pipeline. Apparently he had worked with the Emotiva guys on some OEM projects for them and they all got along, so it was a mutual agreement. Just listened to the announcement a few days ago on their monthly webcast.

And I agree, the Carver Lightstar and Sunfire amps were special.

Greg

Last edited by studiotech; 10th April 2013 at 02:11 AM.
Old 10th April 2013, 05:22 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

I too am an old fan of Carver. I'm old enough to have bought one of his items new (the M400 mid-1980s). Tried a Sunfire amp and woofer, they were ok. Recently downgraded (or updated) to high-tech, low-cost, high-power Behringer iNukes. Can't wait to learn what Dr. Bob cooks up next
Old 10th April 2013, 03:16 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Not to get off topic.....Forgive the Carver talk....

This is What Has to be said that Bobs there for all the good things....But Not much ever comes...so if the team get more from Bob..Amps,Speaker what ever ...it what thay already paid for....his dreams are His...only thing he did after the Craver Co. sold.. was the litestar...less than a year he had the sunfire...litestar dropet.....Carver co died like all the others,he make big $$$ of the Sundire sub Amps... that Most all are using with there name on...like MCintosh an others....Hell Niles is still making the Sunfire amps Bob sold them Sunfire ...the $$$ Dropet like a rock...at frist when Bob was there price held..hehe..but then Amps pice cut in 1/2 over night.
It all Gooooooooood For us ...Thanks for your time an info...Have fun with Audio ..Bob is..
Bob carver An N. Pass Care about us Diyers...Were All luck...

Hide this!Advertise here!