Hot glue to repair Magnepans?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As for the wire reglueing......I put a then coat of spray paint on over the mylar -wire...the dryers in the paint get rit of the tacky gluey...I done more than one pr....when maggys start making noise flokes get rit for low cash......I gave $30 for my MG 2cs...$10 for my MG1c

I have the MG 2.5r... MG2c an the MG1c..the 1c are the best sounding of the all wire type I have had......sound just like a SMGa with bass......I think the 1c an the SMGa sound so good is because thay only have one button.... to tune the mylar.........an run them with dynaco MK3s....sound great but do get bass slap out of one 2c....I have 3ea of TransNova Haflers p7000......over 300 watts...but the 60 tube watt dose great job.....
amp eaters...I seen that also..must be in a small room.....
has anyone got the panels slap fix??

Okay, I am going to show my ignorance on this one but the button to tune the mylar? So this could be a way to adjust audio and/or performance? minimally I am sure but would the "panel slap" be due to the magnet slapping against the mylar due to the mylar not being taught enough?

I have been trying different set ups and placements with my MGii's as room placement does make a huge difference. My dad suggested I try taking my couch cushion and some 3m velcro strips to stick it to my wall directly behind them.. Made them sound more warm. Next stop is to buy some nice acoustic panels that I can place on my wall which will look a lot better then my couch cushion... :D

Something I have learned from using hot melt glue is that it absorbs moisture after just a few weeks, is only really good for temporary use on paper and fabric with little load. It's just going to peel and lift.
Also I learned the "Super 77", sold at the hardware store really isn't so super at all, is actually the lesser of the spray adhesives that 3M offers. The best one is probably "Spray Mount", that's been used for graphic arts for decades.
The green, water based contact cement is probably the best, takes a few more coats than the old stinky kind that will vaporize your brain cells. I would think that more coats would give a better result with more control than just a couple glopped on anyhow. A roller would help even out the application rather than a brush, just make sur and toss the roller cartridge as it gets gunked up.
Just like with other components, the data sheets are a great resource, along with some practical knowledge.
I just came into a set of MMGs from 1980 or so, are in perfect condition, luckily. Considering I got them for nearly nothing, I was pleasantly surprised to not have to rework them, like the usual with those types of deals.

Can you give you insite on the Mmgs. sound?....you have had other older type maggys....t
The Mmg looks like thay feared its sound... its to good.... thay added uneeded buttom ....on these only speaker thay ever. made...3 only on one....2on the other.... in the pr.....nuts....
someone was saying... helps with room mode......what??.....funny I never seen others try this..not even them...no other maggy needs this help....?..magic or VooDoo....
thanks

Apogee made some.....

Apogee and Magnepan drivers are different. The bass drivers: Magnepan use weak magnets and thicker "voice coils". Apogee did it with stronger magnets and thinner "voice coils". Apogee originally used slotted aluminium foil with tape on the back. I am not sure when or which models had the aluminized Kapton diaphragms. The Kapton was rather thick (and heavy), just like the Magneplanar type driver the moving mass was not low. This is still a myth, the low mass of these planar drivers. I think that Magnepan has chosen a more profitable way - they still excist!

Okay, I am going to show my ignorance on this one but the button to tune the mylar? So this could be a way to adjust audio and/or performance? minimally I am sure but would the "panel slap" be due to the magnet slapping against the mylar due to the mylar not being taught enough?

The button(s) distribute the resonant behavior of the diaphragm. It divides the diaphragm in different sized sections. A larger section will have a lower fundamental resonance. Some Magneplanar drivers does use an uneven tension of the foil also in order to spread the fundamental resonances.

After 40 years in this Audio hobby...... geting into the Audio bizz...so I could get ever more exposure to all types of....
Speakers,Amps Preamp,Tubes SS Wire...anything to do with Audio....
I have now choose panel type speakers for my ears ........
1 Acoustat..2 Apogee...an the only one that's still in bizz......3 Magnepan ......but only the older type.... with the mylar,wire... on the back.....
But if I could only have one pr it would be... Magnepan.... why.......work well with tubes or SS...an give 80% of all the things i like about any panel type speaker..... i have ever heard...........too day!...
One big plus....is all these Speakers can be had for vary low cash...most fear these speakers......so if your into Diy..
an like panel speakers sound.... there a lot of great speakers out there just for you.....
all just one mans finding................

I actually have only tried the mmgs that I received, know that they function from a low powered amp is all.
Next will be to change the banana plug sockets for some binding posts and give them a proper trial using my recently acquired, and modded Hafler DH500. I'm just expecting them to sound pretty good at this point.

Funny I have done minny input post mods ....I like the post setup that Magnepan uses...it a pain for sure but sound wise....some post sound way worse...will to my ears.........most never pull wire in-out from there speakers....but what I have done with maggys......is just take the plate off ....run the wire out....put wire to wire...I fill that did sound a little better....as for the fuse....I have put QR foil on a pr of Smga.... I got tell you the foil is some tuff stuff....it is hard to brake with your hands the tweeter wire is like a hair...it ezey to brake....I think you can live with out the fuse...but your call..
have fun....let us know what you think about the sound..........thanks

I actually have only tried the mmgs that I received, know that they function from a low powered amp is all.
Next will be to change the banana plug sockets for some binding posts and give them a proper trial using my recently acquired, and modded Hafler DH500. I'm just expecting them to sound pretty good at this point.

You will be impressed. That's the exact amp I'm using to run my older MGIIc's

My amp has a few little mods but nothing major. Once the new power caps finally got settled after about a week or so of playing it I can seriously tell a difference.
I recently purchased an NAD integrated amp a newer model 100wpc x 6.1. One of those surround sound things.
Thinking I could bi wire the Maggie's I figured I'd give it a go.

Let's just say I'm back to my simple NAD 1020 pre-amp, NAD cd/DVD player and the hafler dh 500
Even the pre-out on the new NAD didn't sound nearly as good just using it to pre amp the hafler.

What did I learn? Current! Current! Current! And watts make these speakers come alive. If you don't like the way these sound then change your amp, check your room space and check your ears

I get solid bass, almost a static type tingly feeling on the highs. Very transparent. They do tend to have that sweet spot but my sound room is almost too small for these. Almost.

The new NAD is back on Craigslist and EBay.
Simple is sometimes better when it comes to two channel stereo. You can have the Dolby, EARS, ) 7.1 surround sound systems. I'll take my hafler DH 500 and the very simple NAD 1020 over the most advanced integrated any day.

My Threshold Stasis S/300, 300 amazingly clear, powerful watts per channel. Just dropped this guy off for a good inspection and tune up. But once I get that back I'm eager to hear the difference from the Hafler (outstanding budget amp) to the Threshold Stasis (Nelson Pass, enough said)

So magnepans sold me and I'll never choose a compression driver speaker again unless of course it's for a very fast accurate sub.
My dad is looking into buying some Acoustat Model 3s (electrostatic not planar/ribbon). Since I am clinging to his old maggies. I'm interested in hearing those as well.

Don't insult yourself by trying to drive these kinds of speakers with a sub par amp or receiver these are watt Hungry speakers and need a lot to sound good otherwise the volume levels are low and your get the "no bass" result.

But if you get it right, you'll know and hear it. I did,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.