Graphene-based ESL reported - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st April 2013, 11:56 PM   #1
Few is offline Few  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Graphene-based ESL reported

I think this qualifies for this forum. Here's a link to a description of an electrostatic driver with a graphene diaphragm:

nanotechweb

I haven't seen any reports of sheets of graphene big enough to make room-filling sound, though.

(Here's a Wikipedia link for those new to graphene: Graphene)

Few
Old 2nd April 2013, 12:07 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Interesting development

Well spotted Few!

A very interesting material with exciting potential.
Thanks for posting

Derek.
Old 4th April 2013, 11:08 AM   #3
oshifis is offline oshifis  Hungary
diyAudio Member

It seems suitable perhaps for capacitive pressure transducers. An electrostatic transducer that is suitable for audio should have constant charge. This material has high conductivity according to the Wikipedia article, so it would work in constant voltage mode, which is inherently non-linear.
Old 6th April 2013, 06:37 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshifis View Post
It seems suitable perhaps for capacitive pressure transducers. An electrostatic transducer that is suitable for audio should have constant charge. This material has high conductivity according to the Wikipedia article, so it would work in constant voltage mode, which is inherently non-linear.
Moves us closer to the acoustic ideal: a diaphragm as light as air.

About the constant-charge issue, wouldn't it be OK to have a large resistor in series with the diaphragm or must the diaphragm itself keep the charge from moving around on the diaphragm?

Room temperature super-conductive cone-driver voice coils are another ideal the graphene addresses.

Ben
Old 28th November 2013, 05:16 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Bill Gates pours cash into graphene condoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Few View Post
I think this qualifies for this forum. Here's a link to a description of an electrostatic driver with a graphene diaphragm:

nanotechweb

I haven't seen any reports of sheets of graphene big enough to make room-filling sound, though.

(Here's a Wikipedia link for those new to graphene: Graphene)

Few
This may be the answer for large sheets of graphene.

Lead ONTO your pencil: Bill Gates pours cash into graphene condoms ? The Register
Old 28th November 2013, 05:40 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

.. I have enough trouble already convincing my wife that my relations with the HiFi are strictly platonic

.. new cucumber-shaped ESL drivers have great dispersion

.. first it was using Halo Shampoo for coating the membrane, now its...

.... and a million more dumb jokes

Ben
Old 15th April 2014, 04:15 PM   #7
paulfx is offline paulfx  United States
diyAudio Member

Here is the paper:

http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1303/1303.2391.pdf
Old 15th April 2014, 04:24 PM   #8
paulfx is offline paulfx  United States
diyAudio Member

I guess we can't pick up a roll of this via surplus?
Old 20th April 2014, 06:27 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentoronto View Post
About the constant-charge issue, wouldn't it be OK to have a large resistor in series with the diaphragm or must the diaphragm itself keep the charge from moving around on the diaphragm?
Hi. I don't think it would be OK, as the distribution of charge across the diaphragm would be unstable.

I believe that finding a diaphragm coating of the requisite (high) resistivity and durability is a major headache when designing ESLs. As is the ability to operate properly in the context of a wide range of ambient humidity.
Old 22nd April 2014, 07:37 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithj01 View Post
Hi. I don't think it would be OK, as the distribution of charge across the diaphragm would be unstable.

I believe that finding a diaphragm coating of the requisite (high) resistivity and durability is a major headache when designing ESLs. As is the ability to operate properly in the context of a wide range of ambient humidity.
What if we had resistive plates instead of a resistive diaphragm?

Dayton-Wrights use very strong but open plastic structures for plates with a metallic conductive coating applied by spray-painting to the surfaces that face the diaphragm. But that coating could be more resistive rather than conductive. Likewise for the way the Quads are made, I think, with printed circuit boards.

Ben

Hide this!Advertise here!