Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st March 2013, 01:50 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
Please do NOT post the Shockwave plans here due to copyright considerations. You may post hand drawn copies if you wish. Posts and Titles in all caps is not encouraged. I recommend you (re)read the forum rules.

Discussions of this fellow and his business practices have been done to death here and elsewhere.. However carry on..

That's what PM's are for.

And the SHOCKWAVE was marketed in all caps so I thought it appropriate.
Old 31st March 2013, 08:40 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

L.Rivera and MeTarzan, I sent you PMs...
Old 1st April 2013, 05:12 PM   #13
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

I have been thinking of taking four 9" Acoustat panels into a corner to emulate this Lucas Shockwave design...I need two more 9" Panels tho...

I wouldn't mind see how he oriented the panels into a corner tho...at least give me a place to start...planning on getting back to that project soon - currently on another project...

if you do send out any info, I would appreciate a copy - thanks!!
Old 1st April 2013, 07:34 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I just found a little more info about the Lucas stuff,

Here is a link to links in this forum for those of you whom missed it,

View Profile: diy speaker guy - Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video Discussion Forum

This one is remarks posted on TAC,

Do It Yourself - Electrostatic Speakers - Material: - David Lucas

The plans to the Shockwave system are very vague.
It is basically a compounded diaphragm system.

There is no info on the D/S spacing except for using some sort of foam material for mid panel supports.
The mention of using hot glue for these supports is absurd as one would assume using it to glue them too diaphragm!

There is no mention of the specs for the transformers as this plays a very big part regarding the D/S spacing and bias voltages.

There is no mention of how the panels are wired and I would assume that they are in Parallel.
But, this is confusing because he goes into this concept of canceling the back wave with the extra panels to help focus the front wave from minimizing dipole cancellations!
But there is no mention of how they are wired.

He does show some high valued resistor in series with the panel stator's and this is fine as this forms a low pass filter with the capacitance of the panels.
He doesn't specify a particular value but states that they are somewhere between 500k and 3 Meg ?!!!
Nor does he state what power rating the resistors should be.

He states that he uses Lincane for the stator's but no mention of any types of insulative coating that should be used on them.
The same goes for what to use for the Diaphragm and its coatings.

He say's that they can be operated in Mono or Stereo.
The V shape is for mono but no mention of placement in the room.

I assumed that the V setup was to be placed in the corners of the room but upon closer reading there is no mention of this and it appears that it is placed in the middle of the L&R speaker channels for mono.

For stereo he says to separate the two stacks forming the V and set them in close proximity to each of the L&R speakers.

In the schematic it shows that the Main speakers in series with the ESL transformer.

Depending on the primary inductance of the transformer this sort of forms some kind of crossover.
I have been recently experimenting with this type of circuit configuration using a Spice program and it is not easy to get everything to match up correctly and does take a few large capacitors to do so.
He shows no capacitors not to mention the parameters of the transformer.

However, I have mentioned before I do like the concept of compounded Diaphragms for low frequency's.
ML uses this very same concept in there largest system.

I have been thinking about a system based on this concept by corner loading to 8 1'x4' panels in each corner of the room parallel to the walls.
With each panel having two or maybe three diaphragms in each panel with a very large D/S on the order of about .125".

This type of system would require a very high Bias voltage and I have already worked out a possible direct drive system to eliminate all of the iron that would normaly be required for low frequency operation.

The concept is very easy really but it takes a lot of displacement to attain good bass out of an ESL type system or even using dynamic drivers as well.

I think that having the compounded Diaphragm would be a necessary factor in order to have good control over a very light large area, high excursion diaphragm planar system.

In the construction of the panels it appears that each cell was layered with some open celled foam material and this would provide for some very high dampening of the diaphragm and its resonances.

I do plan on experimenting on such a system soon and I am open to any ideas or suggestions of this concept.

FWIW

Cheers!!

jer

Last edited by geraldfryjr; 1st April 2013 at 08:00 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!