My Second ELS Build. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th March 2013, 07:16 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Fperra:

Are the toroids from Antek? If not, what are you using? Thanks.
Old 26th March 2013, 08:47 PM   #12
fperra is offline fperra  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldtraut View Post
Fperra:

Are the toroids from Antek? If not, what are you using? Thanks.
Yes.
Old 28th March 2013, 01:12 AM   #13
WrineX is offline WrineX  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

sick... verry nice looking!!!!!!!!!, i bet some great dynamics with alll these woofers, but quite expensive i may add.
Old 28th March 2013, 03:44 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Not too expensive. I bought 24 of those speakers 3 years ago from Parts Express for another project that never got started. If I remember correctly, I got a bulk purchase price of $20 per speaker.
Old 2nd April 2013, 01:53 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolserst View Post
Hello fperra,

Once again you are showing off your woodworking and building skills

I would second Calvin's concern about the woofers "blowing" the ESL membrane into the stators. I experienced this when building a similar project. As Calvin already mentioned, the solution is to separate the ESL and the woofer panels by a slot. You may also need to add a rearward projecting baffle on the woofer side to further isolate the ESL from the dipole woofer's air motion. If see-thru optics are not required, adding some resistive damping on the rear stator with silk screen mesh or thin felt will also help considerably with the problem of acoustic coupling with the woofer.

You don't have to get your ESL going to get a feel for the magnitude of the problem.
Just wire up your woofers and do a frequency sweep or listen to some bass heavy music and see if the diaphragm hits the stators.
I finally finished the speakers and have them hooked up in the garage for testing. The first thing I did was testing to see if the dynamic speakers would cause the the diaphragms to hit the stators. I ran sheeps from 80 Hz to 600 Hz and there was no impact on the ELS. So that doesn't look to be a problem. The dynamic drivers have about 12 db move sensitivity than the ELS panels so I may double up on the toroidal transformers. I really don't have to since I have gobs of amplifier power and the electronic crossover can adjust for the efficiency difference. I'm quite happy with the sound as there is very little difference between the new ones and my first build.
Old 2nd April 2013, 08:51 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fperra View Post
I finally finished the speakers and have them hooked up in the garage for testing. The first thing I did was testing to see if the dynamic speakers would cause the the diaphragms to hit the stators. I ran sheeps from 80 Hz to 600 Hz and there was no impact on the ELS. So that doesn't look to be a problem.
That is good news. My comments were based on the assumption that your woofers were being run dipole (ie open back). Since the woofers are enclosed, there is much less concern for acoustic coupling driving the ESL diaphragm into the stators.

You should still be able to easily identify the diaphragm resonance be placing an ear near the ESL panel while sweeping down in frequency(200hz to 20Hz) on the woofers. You will hear a noticeable increase in output at the diaphragm resonance, and if looking at reflections from the diaphragm you will see them "dancing". With enclosed woofers, this is usually the only frequency of concern.

Hide this!Advertise here!