Refurb Magnepan Tymphani 1D - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st March 2013, 01:06 PM   #11
tyu is offline tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

Great work.... Thanks for the pix....
I have done re-wires an put MG1.6 tweeter foil on a pr of MG1s...
The tweeter foil an bass foil are the same on the .7s... even the socalled super tweeter thats on the 1.7s...
.I had a pr here for some time...not a speaker for me.....
The way Magnepan dose it is to put 3m77 spray glue down..... just like with the wire...there foil has No glue on it....
I found the foil ezeyer to do than the wire buy hand...an as for output ...foil vers wire...with foil i lost 2-3 db....I do know the Temp have diff magnets....
Lets us know how it sounds....good luck

Last edited by tyu; 21st March 2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 21st March 2013, 02:59 PM   #12
WrineX is offline WrineX  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

this drop in sensitivity is not ideal. i think it has to do with the resistance to be honest. i measured one of the panels and yes mid tweeter is a little bit louder but, but i seen one curve online from what hifi i believe, an there was a rise in highs as well so, im not to worried yet. i had one side playing and it sounds pretty nice. although my room is way to small
Old 21st March 2013, 03:27 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I like your setup...i am just giveing one mans o-pine....dont stop!...i am in a big room...well 18'x25' all open with chair an speakers...you got a lot of steaker there.. the sound of the MG1 i foild were ok...i dont care for the sound of any Maggys that the mylar is in front...so you can do like others an put the mylar in the front...Magnepan turned the mylar to the front to deal with the loss of output from the foil...an now have went to the sears crossover to get all the output thay can....but i dont care for the sound.. but minny do...most have not even seen the older maggys....good luck
Old 21st March 2013, 05:07 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

well its funny the tymphani 1D has the foil in front as well as far as i know. i've read that people turn around there maggies, to have more output or something, measured both sides ones, did not notice a real diference to be honest. only thing that could help is having more open erea on both sides front and back. but ofc this is not possible they have to glue there magnets somewhere, and they need a small magnet gap caus they are not strong at all. if neo magnets where used they could have more open area, wich will boost cost like 10 times who wants that!

tyu not trying to argue about ur opinion sorry if it looks like that. probable my writing style and not being native english speaker.
Im glad you post, all information is welcome ofcourse and i can learn from it.

what is the sears crossover?
Old 21st March 2013, 07:06 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

It all good...i need all the info i can get on panels.... like you...
My spelling is a mess...for give me..

Series 6db Crossover are in all the new .7....less parts...an more output i find some say no!
As for the setup...from the 70s i have been into audio an Magnepans.... an for years Magnepane pushed the Point... if you look at the speakers the small holes in the front.. lets only the high frc, thou only....an this is true... an the bass wave came out the back an then off the wall... it was the only way minny in the audio biz said thay worket the best....but thay found god...when thay went to foil...for tweeters...an flip them around..
But when thay went to the full foil... .7s thay changed the crossover also...good luck.. an thanks for your time
Old 21st March 2013, 07:56 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

What are the magnets made of. (Looks like 1 long strip). Can they still be sourced?
Old 21st March 2013, 09:41 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Rubber mag...3m made frist... like on the frg door.... vary low cost....same used on all maggys.. Arnold Magnetic Technologies Corporation - High Energy Bonded Magnets

Last edited by tyu; 21st March 2013 at 09:43 PM.
Old 21st March 2013, 10:27 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

yeah its called rubbermagnet , its made from feriet powder and some rubbery stuff.. 12.7 mm wide for bass 1.5 mm thick or something. tweeter magnets are not as wide but are thicker so they are closer to the mebrane and also have litle more flux. also for the highs then had more wire versus mylar so it has more drive force wich is needed or the whole thing sounds boomy and holow. this is why push pul version sounds even better and foil versions to, cause theres more foil versus mylar but with the same weight. and with the push pull ofcourse more drive force.. more linear as well.
Old 27th March 2013, 01:56 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Default One done

Well here a picture of the left side that is finished, i made new socks as you can see. the burlap ones where yellow from age. i tried bleeching and washing but now they would not fit and i made one tear in them..... so i needed to replace them all. no fun but looks beter i think.

i sowed 6 new socks wich was really hard because the material is stretch one of the hardest stuff to sow. so i did not do the best sowing job ever i think but thank god we have to turn the socks inside out anyways

Click the image to open in full size.

the right panel i had finished as well. so i though but directly after listening i thought i made a mistake. the right side played louder so i started measuring. the mid bass pannel had a short somehwere because it was only 5.6 ohns instead of 8~. i removed al foil and tape. so the clear panel is waiting for the new aluminium foil (ordered)

also took all of it to weight because i was curious about what all this stuff on a panels weighs.. well 38~ grams in total.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 27th March 2013, 04:51 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Vary Good job...thanks for the pix....
let us know about the sound when you get all up an runing...i know thay well need some time...but youll no...right off about the foil sound?

Hide this!Advertise here!