Order of panels in Tympahni 1D - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd March 2013, 07:33 PM   #11
WrineX is offline WrineX  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

When i connect monitor speaker of wich i know THE polarity, i listen to te bass panel of THE tymp d and the monitor. And it looks like i was wrong. I think THE membrane should go to THE back although this is nog THE way i received THE pair.

When connected both in Phase there is less bass so it seems my panel is the other way around after all.

Still. Ant find any stock image to confirm this.

Does anybody has a untweaked 1d and could feel or see wich way had to be on the front ???
Old 2nd April 2013, 08:38 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Default re: Tympani 1D

WrineX,

Having owned a pair of Tympani 1D for the last 34 years, I can assure you that the diaphrams of the woofer-mid panels should be facing the listener, with the mid panel in the middle.

The best way to check for proper panel polarity is to connect a 1.5v battery to the panels. Polarity is correct when the diaphram moves away from the magnets (toward the listener) with the positive terminal of the battery indicating the + lead of the speaker.

Once basic polarity is known, you must experiment with the angle of the panels in relation to each other in order to determine the best acoustic phase for your particular layout. This is due to interference (cancellation) created by the panels facing each other at various angles. The attached manual describes the process in detail.

After years of measurements and experimentation, I found that the best sound was achieved by separating the panels from each other and placing the tweeter panel in the center between (and behind) the woofer-mid panels in sort of a straight line MTW arrangement.

Such placement, with the tweeter panel centered and just touching the back side of the woofer-mid panels, presents a much superior image with very precise focus due to the panels being symetrical and "time aligned".

Also, be sure to try biamping if at all possible. The improvement is definitely worth while.

In any event, keep experimenting. The Tympani 1Ds are capable of excellent sound when properly set up.

Good Luck!

Keith
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tympani 1D & PC-3 Xover Manual.pdf (747.7 KB, 19 views)
Old 3rd April 2013, 10:05 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcollins View Post
WrineX,

Having owned a pair of Tympani 1D for the last 34 years, I can assure you that the diaphrams of the woofer-mid panels should be facing the listener, with the mid panel in the middle.

The best way to check for proper panel polarity is to connect a 1.5v battery to the panels. Polarity is correct when the diaphram moves away from the magnets (toward the listener) with the positive terminal of the battery indicating the + lead of the speaker.

Once basic polarity is known, you must experiment with the angle of the panels in relation to each other in order to determine the best acoustic phase for your particular layout. This is due to interference (cancellation) created by the panels facing each other at various angles. The attached manual describes the process in detail.

After years of measurements and experimentation, I found that the best sound was achieved by separating the panels from each other and placing the tweeter panel in the center between (and behind) the woofer-mid panels in sort of a straight line MTW arrangement.

Such placement, with the tweeter panel centered and just touching the back side of the woofer-mid panels, presents a much superior image with very precise focus due to the panels being symetrical and "time aligned".

Also, be sure to try biamping if at all possible. The improvement is definitely worth while.

In any event, keep experimenting. The Tympani 1Ds are capable of excellent sound when properly set up.

Good Luck!

Keith
Thanks for ur anwser. i looked at the manual and mine is a newer model with some diferent connection panel and this time with fuse holder.

You said membrane to front **** just installed them otherway around, because it yielded the most output. but after reading the manual you posted i noticed that you can reverse polarity of the tweeter. so i have to swap the panels back again and reverse the polarity of my tweeter so the panels are the way they should be. but aparantly in my room tweeters sound out phase.

One importend thing , you say mid panel in the middle. if i look at screw holes, the mid panels have never been in the midle there are no screw holes there. so not even from factory.

with the right speaker , outward to inward, Tweeter , bass, midabass this is how i have it right now. i have one mid bass panel not covered with fabric and i only see screw holes for the hinges on one side so this mid panel never stood in betweet the 2 other panels.

these speakers are weird. so much fidling with direction phase and angles

Last edited by WrineX; 3rd April 2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old 3rd April 2013, 10:43 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Oh i almost forgot the mid panels (the panel with tuning knob) does not ahve 4 connections only 2 so this is the one that is in the end of the chain.

its weird i would have chosen to have midbass as close to the treble as posiblle, apparantly magnepan thinks otherwise.

its a relief, because i almost changed it creatin new screw holes, and then discover i cant hook them up because there are no connections haha
Old 4th April 2013, 04:28 AM   #15
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

I took mine apart, and could not remember how they went together either - until I saw the four wire holes - 2 on each side - and knew it was the only one that could be in the middle...

The wierd thing was unlike the hinges of the T-IVa, they "open" both ways, so it made it difficult to find out correct orientation..

Instead of buying fabric for $30 each panel at Magnepan ($180? really?), I bought fabric from Partsexpress - $50 worth and a little time with the sewing machine, and all good...I stlll have a ton left too...my T-IVas are behind the T-ID...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010012 (3).jpg (103.8 KB, 30 views)
Old 4th April 2013, 02:35 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john65b View Post
I took mine apart, and could not remember how they went together either - until I saw the four wire holes - 2 on each side - and knew it was the only one that could be in the middle...

The wierd thing was unlike the hinges of the T-IVa, they "open" both ways, so it made it difficult to find out correct orientation..

Instead of buying fabric for $30 each panel at Magnepan ($180? really?), I bought fabric from Partsexpress - $50 worth and a little time with the sewing machine, and all good...I stlll have a ton left too...my T-IVas are behind the T-ID...
but do you know if the wires where in the front ? or to the back ? looks on ur picture they are on the back. but is this how it was original >?

one question has being answered and that is bass is in the midle (because of the 4 connections) and mid/bass at then end. still no clue how the stock 1D is orientated with the wires fron or back... looks like the speakers are so old and mostly being repaired or 'tweaked' that its almost imposible to get a correct answer to that question.
Old 4th April 2013, 02:36 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

i might need to call magnepan, wich is costlly from the netherlands on a cellphone

magnepan does not ahve a contact email adres weird enough.
Old 4th April 2013, 03:39 PM   #18
tyu is offline tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

Looks like some have used this....... service@magnepan.com
Good luck
Old 4th April 2013, 03:45 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyu View Post
Looks like some have used this....... service@magnepan.com
Good luck
wow tyu i feel like a big retard. i searched there website but could not find it.

Thanks

i emailed then hopefully i will know more soon

Last edited by WrineX; 4th April 2013 at 03:49 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!