ESL Panel Efficiency - First Build - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th February 2013, 10:40 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Fantastic!
Old 17th February 2013, 11:46 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Great job I am glad you are now listening to them!!!!!!

Stupid Antek......Go figure !!!!

jer
Old 18th February 2013, 12:59 AM   #13
Bazukaz is offline Bazukaz  Lithuania
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Bazukaz
I remember my very first ESL.
I was very anxious to hear some sound from it. So didn't bother to make an EHT supply; pulled an old TV from it's box and hooked the HV transformer output directly to the diaphragm. And there was quite a lot of sound. Orchestra of sparks from 20kV jumping across 1mm gap.
Rushing is an enemy of building ESLs
Old 18th February 2013, 01:18 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

I didn't fess up to this on my blog page but my first ESL attempt was a disaster. The left speaker panel played wonderfully for about 15 seconds before all that voltage/corona found some sharp points on the stator edges and burned through. Fortunately, my Carver amps shut themselves down before incurring damage but I had a horrendous time stripping all the paint off those stators and inside the holes and rebuilding the panel. That was a hard-learned lesson on the importance of grinding off every single sharp point along the cut edges of the stators!

Last edited by CharlieM; 18th February 2013 at 01:21 AM.
Old 18th February 2013, 01:40 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

I have certainly had my share of mishaps!!!!
This one has caught on fire about 3 times before I finally rendered it un-repairable. He,he,he,he

There are some close ups of the damage in one of these threads.

jer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Desktop ESL.jpg (74.7 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg The Sad One.jpg (71.8 KB, 194 views)
Old 18th February 2013, 09:24 AM   #16
Calvin is offline Calvin  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Lets not forget....the source of non-function could also have been the divaesque spirit of the ESL
A little story....it's of course a true story since I lived through it, it happened to me and myself.

I had two pairs of panels set up und running for months in my livingroom, when a befriended dealer asked me if we could use them for a demonstration workshop in his nearby showroom. The workshop should take place on a sunday. So we met the saturday before for transport and setup. We listened to both panel pairs at my home, then packed them -each pair in one car- and drove to the shop. It was a beautiful dry sunny day and everything seemed just allright.
When we eventually had the speakers set up not one of the four panels reached full level. The best maybe 80% the worst maybe 30%. Inspection revealed no transportation defects, broken connections, lost bias, nor anything else. So we decided to have them online overnight. Sunday morning nothing had changed and we slowly became uneasy, since he had invited several guests personally and there was no backup or plan B. Maybe it was pure luck, but none of the guests showed up that day, probabely because it was one of the rare days so beautiful one should breed gods than doing anything else.
So after due time of waiting we packed our stuff, drove back to my place and set up one pair of panels. Both panels worked perfectly at once! My friend took the second pair with him home for evaluation. Next day I got a call of him......the panels didn't work properly. The same effect as on saturday/sunday.
The panels returned the next weekend and guess what happened when I had set them up in my livingroom again? They played perfectly without the slightest sign of a flaw. That day I became a disciple of the Diva godess of ESL

jauu
Calvin

ps. On later occasions similar happened again with these panels. Obviously any time they were taken out of my livingroom the panels stopped proper operation!
Luckily such never happened to me again with other panels. Up till today I have not the slighest clue what the source of this effect could have been, but the disappointed spirit of ESL.

Last edited by Calvin; 18th February 2013 at 09:31 AM.
Old 18th February 2013, 10:27 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Maybe your room rad something special about relative humidity or how the systems were grounded?

Lukas.
Old 18th February 2013, 11:24 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Hi,

nothing Im gonna get headaches about nowadays. Just take it as an anekdote

jauu
Calvin
Old 18th February 2013, 11:42 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
Hi,

nothing Im gonna get headaches about nowadays. Just take it as an anekdote

jauu
Calvin
Ok, one more story that is potentially dangerous.
I was experimenting with my 2nd project, which was already working. I used two sheets of bare metal stators, LM3886 amp and a trafo scavenged from an old tube amp. I do not remember what I did wrong. But it happened that the panel has arced between stators. LM3886 became not happy with this at all and as a consequence started to kick in its Spike protection on and off in a cycle. So I was having a constant bright arc similar to one seen in welding, but a bit less intense.
It was deep midnight and quite dark; my girlfriend jumped off the bed a quite scared. After several seconds I have managed to pull everything out of AC outlet
Uninsulated stators can sometimes give unexpected surprises

Last edited by Bazukaz; 18th February 2013 at 11:44 AM.
Old 18th February 2013, 12:51 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

....as do non-insulated audio tranny connections.
Wow, its a special experience. Gives the Valkyrie Ride certainly a different impact, than just watching the film music

jauu
Calvin

Hide this!Advertise here!