B&G's for mids? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th April 2013, 09:36 AM   #21
zmyrna is offline zmyrna  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I am working with neo drivers these days.
Are we sure that RD series is any different in technology compared to neo3 and neo8?
People have discussed RD vs. neo8 line array: and the belief is that the only difference would be the neo8 line array would have more vertical membrane attachment points.
Now add neo10 and neo8s into the picture and it is a different story because of the pleated diaphragm these two have.
I have high hopes for the neo8s I acquired recently.
neo3 always seemed to have too prominent cymbals even with EQ.
neo8s does not seem to have it.
I am currently high passing neo8s at 1000Hz LR4.
I might add a ribbon supertweeter with just a cap to add some more airiness.

When it comes to lower mids, I have decided to go with a cone driver.
It might well be that the right cone is ultimately better than a planar for that region.
If I aimed at going planar for the lower mid as well, I would pick a neo8s line array over any neo10 arrangement. The reason being both value for money and better dispersion.
Old 18th April 2013, 10:13 AM   #22
Toaster is offline Toaster  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

It just depends on the bandwidth you need for your application. The 8 won't go as low a the 10 whatever you do- but if you don't need or want a planar driver running down to 200-300Hz that's not a problem. The newer 8S is OK at 450-500Hz, so that's another option.
Old 18th April 2013, 11:59 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

I had a line array with Neo10 on the plan board for a long time. I bet it will sound wonderful, but I went with RD-75 in the end. What I find most appealing with Stig Erikís implementation is the way RD-75 is used as a full range dipole driver. If you donít mind the use of active EQ I think this is probably the easiest way to create a consistent dipole line array.

It will probably not play as load as a Neo array, but Iíve learned that if the high volume is mostly needed for sharing music with other people in the room the brochure might actually be correct when it claims the following ďSound pressure level drops off at half the rate (-3dB) of conventional speakers (-6dB) with a doubling of distanceĒ. Iím surprised how load RD-75 is with Sonic Impact 5066 I currently have them connected to. Canít do much EQ though
Old 18th April 2013, 12:10 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Sounds great DEQ- have you got a thread for your build? Pictures? The idea of using a single drive unit all the way up from the lower mids to the top is certainly appealing. My room layout would suit a sealed back implementation of the RD75 very well- but hardware is now committed to a dipole implementation of the Neo 10s and 3s- along with a version of the NaO Note that is gradually coming together...
Old 18th April 2013, 03:19 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Nothing yet. H-frames grows very slowly in my garage. I'm thinking low temperature might interfere with MDF growth...
Old 18th April 2013, 08:30 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Heheheh!
Old 29th January 2014, 08:18 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

I've just come across this thread, and I'm interested to see some Brits here from London and the SE. I'm in London. I had stacked Quads, then Maggies, then Apogee Caliper Sigs then downsized to Mark Audio Alpair 10 full-range alu. units when I got sensible and fancied seeing out of the window for a change (the speakers are in front of French windows and a balcony). So currently hankering after another ribbon but small footprint.

The Neo 10 sounds like the solution. Do you get these in Parts Express? The B&G German store looks gratuitously expensive. Shipping from USA must be cheaper.

I'd like to strike up some correspondence on the Neo 10 and maybe even hear an existing system if that's possible. I'm in Kensington. I build my own SE tube all-DHT amps if that's of interest.
Old 29th January 2014, 08:43 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Sure. Still not running a working version of the latest iteration, but I'm about to have more time on my hands, so maybe soon. Send me a pm by all means Andy.

Hide this!Advertise here!