Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th January 2013, 05:29 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Ah so they used mylar, damn that stuff is thin...
Old 8th February 2013, 11:12 AM   #32
midmoe is offline midmoe  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm getting intrested in building my own ribbons...isn't the limitation with ribbon design about the energy off the back of the ribbon? Doesn't it reflect off the magnet structures and come foward through the ribbon, causing a tiny delay related "smearing" of the original signal? And, isn't this the advantage of the heil AMT, as the energy in the back of the surface has an escape route..? The ribbon design seems easier to build, seems a doable project...
Old 8th February 2013, 09:06 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

I think you're mistaking a planar for a ribbon, if you're building a dipole ribbon the energy of the back should be equal to that of the front. I couldn't find aluminum foil that was thin enough to give me the required resistance to go completely transformer-less, I've been experimenting with making household foil thinner by using a simple baking soda solution. I've also tried electrolysis, the foil would become very thin but it would burn tiny holes in it. Anyway the foil is about the right resistance now, now I just need to find the carrier foil to prevent it from ripping apart.

Last edited by JacobSijsma; 8th February 2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old 11th February 2013, 12:35 AM   #34
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

For thin foil, unroll a film/foil capacitor... nicely thin stuff.

Apogee used kapton substrate, not mylar.
Old 14th December 2013, 06:51 PM   #35
jernejx is offline jernejx  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

What is the crossover point between woofer and ribbon?
Old 14th December 2013, 10:16 PM   #36
WrineX is offline WrineX  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

or you go to a art suply store, the gold leaf is verry thin, and there are also silver look alikes that are pure alumnium as thin as you can get. but for a full range that is a problem (size). also i dont think there is any benefit of producing a real full range ribbon, expecially in the bass department .all the fullrange ribbons are actually planars. even apogee. only there mid highs are true ribbbons.

we ca argue about that but they did not produce a supended on top and bottom huge foil with magnets on the side. so its not a true ribbon. although they say it is.

the "silver leaf" should be prety afordable and can be used for small ribbons. the unrolling of foil caps for me a t least never ended up with foil. always metelaized mylar, wierd enough i used bipoleaire rough and smooth caps, even a expensive audincap, wich aparantly is without foil either

Last edited by WrineX; 14th December 2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old 15th December 2013, 07:12 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Does 150cm tall and 2,5cm wide ribbon plays to 200hz ?

Thank you for hellp.
Old 15th December 2013, 10:21 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

Hi jernejx

Yes that's possible with steep crossover slopes.
But I should cross it at about 400Hz with weaker slopes.
I prefer the last option because it sounds warmer.
Low and steep crossover points with small ribbons sounds thin to my taste.

Rob
Old 15th December 2013, 07:03 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobSijsma View Post
. I couldn't find aluminum foil that was thin enough to give me the required resistance to go completely transformer-less, I've been experimenting with making household foil thinner by using a simple baking soda solution. I've also tried electrolysis, the foil would become very thin but it would burn tiny holes in it. Anyway the foil is about the right resistance now, now I just need to find the carrier foil to prevent it from ripping apart.
Would aluminum leaf be too thin to work (with) its ~1micron thick which is about 16x thinner than standard household al foil.
Paul
Old 15th December 2013, 07:19 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Sorry, but what are steep crossover slopes?

Hide this!Advertise here!