Full range ribbon - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th January 2013, 06:19 PM   #21
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

I have a few of those(transformer coupled ) direct drive ribbon is much better , better than Amt type for accuracy , but with less drive and much better than any BG driver i have ever tried , again with less drive ...
Old 27th January 2013, 06:42 PM   #22
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

mr. a.wayne,

an output impedance of 0.025 ohm is reasonably easy to achieve.

that translates to a DF of only 325. so the only other thing the amp needs to be able to do is to stay within the SOA for *current*. Which would be about 28 amps...

As far as transformers "killing the sound" a whole lot depends on the quality of the transformer in question. If the bandwidth is compromised, or the power handling, then absolutely it's going to be far worse. Otoh, direct drive is likely to be a benefit in most situations.

Think of what the DF is going to be with a series resistor and a low impedance like a 0.025ohm load?
Old 27th January 2013, 10:39 PM   #23
Sin Bin

Mr Bear,

Think of the distortion when putting a transformer between the amp outputs and your ribbon diaphragm ,think about the hysteresis issues and the time smearing , la, la, la ...

I have subjectively compared and measured with and without , theres a reason why you don't see them used on ribbon drivers for critical listening , if for pro sound etc , then i can see some benefits ...

What about Bear Power, 1ohm should be easy huh ....
Old 27th January 2013, 10:47 PM   #24
Sin Bin

DF , is not an issue , this is for mid/high frequency ribbons ...
Old 27th January 2013, 11:02 PM   #25
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

DF is a measure of output impedance of the amp vs. standard 8 ohm load impedance. However, if you run a low Z load from a high Z source, you've got a different situation as compared to driving a load from a very low Z source. It changes among other things the frequency response and regardless of what frequency the driver operates at it still has a "filter" response (bandpass) that corresponds to some Q value. The transient response will be effected by the shape of the filter, its effective Q.

How much, and to what extent folks can decide for themselves.

Regarding my amps, I'd build a purpose built amp to drive a very low Z ribbon.
Old 28th January 2013, 05:15 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
88 db with a 2ohm series resistor , dat must be the most powerful neo speaker on the planet ....
It a matter of size

My woofers are these in a 40cm x 200cm H baffle:
Disconetto har HiFi/10-12'' fra SPP-300 - 12'' højttaler til gode priser.
6 pr. side in open H baffle is at least 90db/1w and then lowered 2 db to match the ribbon.

I would never considder a trafo. I should be a big one to handle about 0.1 ohm from the ribbon. But people build anyway...
Look here under "Lautsperecher": .: Michael Gaedtke :. | Röhrenverstärker , MOSFET-Endstufe, EF95, 6Sh1P, Russische Röhren, Hybridverstärker, 6N3P, 1Sh29B, Gitarren-PreAmp, TCA5500, Ribbon, Bändchen-Lautsprecher, Übertrager

Cheers

Last edited by blaaberg; 28th January 2013 at 05:22 AM.
Old 29th January 2013, 06:03 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Just a question: Is this a potential way of increasing impedance while maintaining a "pure" ribbon:
http://mjalazard.smugmug.com/Other/A...P4030147-L.jpg

(running several smaller ribbons up and down in a parallel configuration)

I'd be worried for it shorting out though.

Last edited by JacobSijsma; 29th January 2013 at 06:12 AM.
Old 29th January 2013, 02:17 PM   #28
DAMIC is offline DAMIC  Seychelles
diyAudio Member

Hi,

This is actually the way how Apogee made their mrt. No worries about shorting.
Old 29th January 2013, 04:43 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Yea I actually went on google and typed something like: "apogee ribbon construction", getting an insight of how the pro's used to do it might spark an idea...
Old 30th January 2013, 08:22 AM   #30
DAMIC is offline DAMIC  Seychelles
diyAudio Member

Hi,

On the first models, Apogee used etching process and later, transfer to cuting the ribbon traces with exacto knife.

"The tall neodymium ribbon". Part 1

A very good tutorial with nice pics may help

Hide this!Advertise here!