Full range ribbon - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th January 2013, 01:56 PM   #11
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Do the math, a resistor is terrible.

It's a voltage divider. Your ribbon is going to be a fraction of an ohm, your resistor as suggested 2+ ohms. Almost all of the power will be eaten in the resistor.

Adding aluminum foil onto paper will add so much mass that the HF response will be not good. Paper will catch fire if you put enough power into the foil itself.

Jacob, if you search here you will find a number of threads on DIY ribbons, ribbon transformers and planar magnetic drivers...
Old 27th January 2013, 01:58 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Hey,
Ribbon or planar at the low end can be dificult. It`s much easyer to build an open baffle with 12" or 15" loudspeakers.
I`ve have tryed with different versions of the "La Folia", and never get it right anyway.

My system now is the best I ever heard. I use Groundsound amps and filters, and can configure everything to my head start to spin :-)
Old 27th January 2013, 02:08 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
Do the math, a resistor is terrible.

It's a voltage divider. Your ribbon is going to be a fraction of an ohm, your resistor as suggested 2+ ohms. Almost all of the power will be eaten in the resistor.

Adding aluminum foil onto paper will add so much mass that the HF response will be not good. Paper will catch fire if you put enough power into the foil itself.

Jacob, if you search here you will find a number of threads on DIY ribbons, ribbon transformers and planar magnetic drivers...
No paper into the gab, just alufoil. I`ve used some household alufoil at about 10my. The resistor is homemade of the same foil and glued onto stif paper, and hide on the back. No fire for sure

Yes, a lot of power is eaten, but who cares! The speaker play very loud anyway. Now, just listen to John Fogerty - lovely
Old 27th January 2013, 02:17 PM   #14
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Post a jpeg?

Also have you measured the sensitivity?

How about the freq response?
Old 27th January 2013, 02:32 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Sure....

http://nordahl-jensen.dk/pic/IMG_0810.JPG

I have not messured the sensitivity, but about 88-90 db/1w I think....
I can modify the freq in almost anyway in my digital filter, and now my system messured 20 - 20.000 (+- 1,5db)
Old 27th January 2013, 02:43 PM   #16
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaaberg View Post
Yes Neo, and no problem with sensitivity.... :-)
My 6 pcx. 12" is just lowered 2db vs. the 180cm ribbon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaaberg View Post
Sure....

http://nordahl-jensen.dk/pic/IMG_0810.JPG

I have not messured the sensitivity, but about 88-90 db/1w I think....
I can modify the freq in almost anyway in my digital filter, and now my system messured 20 - 20.000 (+- 1,5db)
88 db with a 2ohm series resistor , dat must be the most powerful neo speaker on the planet ....

Series resistor better than transformer , direct drive is considered better , but i cant see how you could get the amp impedance out of the way , i have found best is matching resistor to foil 2:1 ratio for best drive 3:1 best sonics on most amplifiers i have tried , even the ones rated @ .5 ohm ...

Last edited by a.wayne; 27th January 2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 27th January 2013, 04:36 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Wow thanks for all of the reply's, and blaaberg that speaker's huge!
Old 27th January 2013, 04:41 PM   #18
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Blaaberg,

Nice looking ribbon... like a Maggie ribbon or Apogee...

And I disagree about the transformer... unless you special build a power amp with super low output Z for the job... buy you fellows can do as you wish.

Consider that with a 20volt RMS swing, a power amp designed to work into say 0.1 ohms will produce 200 watts! If the ribbon is lower Z then that power will be higher. So one could make a very nice class A bipolar amp with a large number of low cost high current, low voltage output devices having a super low output Z to drive such a ribbon... just a thought.

Last edited by bear; 27th January 2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old 27th January 2013, 05:32 PM   #19
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
diyAudio Member

Transformers kill the sound bear , with a .25-.38 ohm impedance is typical with that size foil ,your amp would have to be .025 ohm to beat a .5ohm wire wound resistor in series for sonics ...

Last edited by a.wayne; 27th January 2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old 27th January 2013, 05:45 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Transformers are fine with high frequency drivers, like that one used in ture ribbon tweeters. But not quite practical for full range ribbon, unless you are willing to use transformers as big as the ones used in Tube amplifiers.

Printed ribbon might be a better idea.

Hide this!Advertise here!