Acoustat Monitor 4 with Interfaces? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th January 2013, 03:16 AM   #1
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Acoustat Monitor 4 with Interfaces?

Hey all,

I have a friend with Monitor 4 that has given up on his servo amps (not willing to sell them tho) and wants to know if his Monitor 4's can be run with a MK-121-2 interface. From his pics, it looks like he has banana plugs (blue, red, yellow).

Looks like (from schematic) red is bias, blue is front stator, and yellow is back stator.

He wants to keep his wiring intact for the servoamps (if he ever gets them fixed)...so the interface inputs will need a mod. Just thinking of three banana receptacles marked blue, red, and white on a wooden cover over the opening on the interfaces...

Any issues? I figured I would ask the experts...

Last edited by john65b; 15th January 2013 at 03:20 AM.
Old 15th January 2013, 11:20 AM   #2
tyu is offline tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

...Be sure the yello tap is used ....less he like more bass... then Orange taps on the 121s bass Xfourmer...Good luck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled02.jpg (22.9 KB, 37 views)
Old 15th January 2013, 06:08 PM   #3
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

tyu,

Yes, I have that planned - as far as I know, the Acoustat panels in teh Model 1/2/3/4 and Monitor series are interchangeable from servos to interfaces (aside from the yellow/white connection) correct?
Old 15th January 2013, 06:41 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Frist pr of Acoustats i had in the 80s were the Xs..... i got a pr of 1+1 ....called Jim he was in fortladerdail fl still then... he said yes...the 6-8s used two ea. 121 interfaces pr speaker...

I run my 121 on the Yello tap....i use the full winding...an put a 3ohm 30watt in were the 1ohm 20watt is on the bass Xfourmers neg input....
have fun ...long live Acoustats...An all other ESLs
Old 15th January 2013, 06:54 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john65b View Post
Hey all,

I have a friend with Monitor 4 that has given up on his servo amps (not willing to sell them tho) and wants to know if his Monitor 4's can be run with a MK-121-2 interface. From his pics, it looks like he has banana plugs (blue, red, yellow).

Looks like (from schematic) red is bias, blue is front stator, and yellow is back stator.

He wants to keep his wiring intact for the servoamps (if he ever gets them fixed)...so the interface inputs will need a mod. Just thinking of three banana receptacles marked blue, red, and white on a wooden cover over the opening on the interfaces...

Any issues? I figured I would ask the experts...
Yes, the Monitor 4's can be driven by the MK-121 transformer interface. The later Model 4 was sold that way. As previously mentioned, you should use the YELLOW transformer tap for a 4-panel system.

Please note the blue wire goes to the rear stator. However, if you follow the color code on the MK-121, hook-up should be a no-brainer: RED to RED, BLUE to BLUE, and YELLOW to WHITE. You can easily remove the banana plug on the speaker, and substutute hook or ring terminals for the white and blue groups, and a pin plug for the red group.
Old 16th January 2013, 02:50 AM   #6
ehous is offline ehous  United States
diyAudio Member

Tyu, what results were achieved by substituting the 1ohm for the 3 ohm? Thanks
Old 16th January 2013, 11:53 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

There other Mods that i have done also......diff caps on the secdary side... .15 6k oil ...an no 50k res..... set up like the soundLab back plate...an my bias is outboarded...an can be set from 4-7k.... an other mods on the primary side...
This bias mod is the best thing any one can do to the 121..if anyone wonts a BIg upgread!...bias bias bias..has a Lot to do with the sound of any eSL...an is allways over looket..Nuts from a sound standpoint!
But useing all the winding an the 3ohm gives better bass...an more output...
I drive my M3 with a 60 watt tube amp...get full output..[.in my setup!]
Lot life left in thes old Acoustats....have fun

Hide this!Advertise here!