Plasma speaker? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th December 2012, 04:58 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Could you hear the tone?

What is the make and model of your sound card?

I think maybe you have your decimals misplaced.

jer
Old 31st December 2012, 02:14 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

nope i cant hear the tone at all
and the decimals are not needed i just felt like putting them there to make it easier to read as 1 million hz..
My soundcard is a realtek HD integrated into the motherboard type of thing.. so its impossible to take it out.
Old 31st December 2012, 04:39 PM   #13
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Your sound card is incapable of 1,000,000 Hz.

Afaik there are none that can.
Old 31st December 2012, 11:06 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quoted~"the decimals are not needed i just felt like putting them there to make it easier to read as 1 million hz.."

Your information is then false and misleading....Please don't do this as we are trying to help you to learn.

Therefore please try to use the proper terms and if you are not sure just ask!!!
It is better to not know than to give out the wrong information.

I enjoy your inquisitiveness and like teaching this kind of stuff as it remind's me of myself when I First started learning about electronics.

I learned and studied everything I could find and Vacuum tubes and High Voltages were a common thing then.

There are many very important rules about working with such devices and technologies or else one wrong move could mean the end of ones life.

Plasma Speakers and Tesla Coil's fall into that Category !!!

Before you can even think about getting one to work you must know the math and theory behind how and why it works.

Knowing Ohms law is a must to start with, and, knowing the difference between HZ, Khz and Mhz is a bigger one to know as they all interact with one another.

You must also learn how to properly use a multimeter and the difference between a volt meter and amp meter (ammeter) and how to use them otherwise you will just continue to blowup parts not knowing why this happened ot keeps happening !!

I know this because done this and not so long ago even though I do know the difference.
I took out three DMM's in a row.
Luckily they were just some $3 cheapy's and it had nothing to do with knowing or not knowing ohms law.
It had every thing to do with High Voltage Rf that was being generated that I was not aware of at the time.
This is the type of energy that tesla coils produce and I have it documented in a thread called "step up transformer design".

Cheers !!

jer
Old 31st December 2012, 11:10 PM   #15
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
I remember Nelson Pass got injured working on the plasma speaker! After that, people lost interest in them.
Old 19th January 2013, 03:02 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Might I suggest that you refer to the following page for further info in a plasma tweeter.

Roger Russell's Ionophone Ionovac Page

I have read that they run at anywhere from 1MHz to 10MHz. This is not really hard to generate these days with modern semiconductors and driver ICs but it does start to take a fair amount of knowledge about RF to make it work well.

Then there is the mechanical side of things. In the case of the ionovac there is the need of precision machine work not only on quartz glass but also on the high temperature coronal discharge electrode, than material of which is an exotic... Read that to mean EXPENSIVE!

As others have pointed out there are some real technical hurdles to be overcome and some very smart people have tried in the past with limited success. If in fact Nelson had played with the idea and walked away from it after getting bitten I might let that weigh a bit more heavily. Nelson is not an idiot by any stretch of the imagination.

Mike

Hide this!Advertise here!