Best DIY dipole speakers? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th December 2012, 01:36 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Best DIY dipole speakers?

What would be the best DIY dipole speakers you have ever heard?

I'm interested on building some OB speakers, and the clear purpose is to get better sound quality than with current Magneplanars. I'm quite happy with their true ribbons, so it wouldn't be a problem using Maggie's ribbons for the highs. Basses is the biggest problem with Maggies for me; no matter what the model is, there is always something missing from the bottom end with music such as pop/rock or classical. I think that mids are quite good, but if there are any ways for improvement, I'll more than glad to hear your suggestions.

I also think that I will be using DEQX for crossovers and corrections.

Thank you!
Old 26th December 2012, 10:43 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I guess ESLs are not an option?
Old 26th December 2012, 01:56 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

At this stage I just want to hear ideas & experiences on best possible DIY speakers, no matter of the technology.

Are ESL- drivers/kits really available somewhere?
Old 26th December 2012, 02:37 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Have you considered building two separate "bass cabinets" that are tuned a little on the more musical side (rather than extreme LFE) to fill in that impact/warmth?
Old 26th December 2012, 02:43 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlliumPorrum View Post
At this stage I just want to hear ideas & experiences on best possible DIY speakers, no matter of the technology.

Are ESL- drivers/kits really available somewhere?
An Australian company called ER Audio sells very fine ESL kit speakers. Another company called Just Real Music (Michigan/USA) sells complete ESL speakers and components for DIY'ers at very reasonable prices-- I hear the owner Russ is a really nice guy who won't cheat you but sometimes has more work than he can do quickly-- so it might take a while to get an order filled.

The great thing about ESL's is that, if you're moderately handy, you can build your own hybrid ESL's for not a lot money. The website below is a pretty good resource for a newbie ESL builder. The ESL panels and power supplies shown there are simple and easy and could adapted to practically any hybrid ESL speaker design.
Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page

Last edited by CharlieM; 26th December 2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old 26th December 2012, 02:43 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

My Acoustic Elegance will make bass that will rattle the china cabinet, and they are fully passive.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 26th December 2012, 04:53 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

The best I've heard, with a very large margin is:
B&G RD-75 from 200 Hz and up.
Large H-baffles from 200 Hz and down.
Old 27th December 2012, 12:33 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Check out my "Aurium Waveguide" open baffle speakers. Woofers are in separate cabinets. The system as a whole is triamped, and measures acoustically flat at the couch from 20HZ to 20kHZ, +/- 3dB. Watch out for the Behringer products. Some of them have really bad analog circuits. See my web page on the one I redesigned and rebuilt, after Gary Pimm brought the design problems to my attention. Bob's Website
http://www.spiritone.com/~rob_369
Old 27th December 2012, 02:37 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I understand exactly where you're coming from. I have MG-IIIa's and love so many things about them but their lack of LF prowess is a definite handicap. I tried supplementing them with subs (sealed and ported in a variety of sizes) but never thought anything integrated all that well. Then I built a pair of OB H-frames with 15" Eminence Alpha LF driver and it was a match made in heaven. The H-frame subs are everything they say they are....musical as all hell with a robust, fat as well as punchy character with speed and clarity unlike any any boxed sub I've ever heard. I've never measured mine but I'm sure their fairly flat down into the upper thirties, at least....possibly lower. Provided you have the space to accommodate them along with the Maggies (the H-frames need to be about four feet out from the front wall to sound their best) it's a very impressive combination.

- Michael
Old 27th December 2012, 07:05 AM   #10
Jonasz is offline Jonasz  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Without a doubt the NaO Note. Seamless in the highs and plenty of low bass (made my pair with AE IB15 in H baffles).

Strongly recommended!

Hide this!Advertise here!