Best DIY dipole speakers? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th December 2012, 01:05 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StigErik View Post
The best I've heard, with a very large margin is:
B&G RD-75 from 200 Hz and up.
Large H-baffles from 200 Hz and down.
Well THAT sounds interesting!

But, can they really be so good with that wide frequency range? I think that requirements for playing well on 200hz are quite different that for playing well on 20khz... Since I'm going to use DEQX with digital 3-way crossovers, a 3- way setup would also be just fine.

Does anyone have experience on B&G's against true ribbon Maggies, how do they compare sonic wise?
Old 18th January 2013, 12:24 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Might also want to take a look at Siegfrieg Linkwitz' latest:

LX521 Description

This is on my "I want" list....
Old 18th January 2013, 01:07 AM   #13
mortron is offline mortron  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The best I've heard, with a very large margin is:
B&G RD-75 from 200 Hz and up.
Large H-baffles from 200 Hz and down.
I have chosen to go with four 18" woofers in HBaffles to handle my 2 channel bass, and have done some corresponding with several members including StigErik, and can tell you the big OB bass guys are an enthusiastic bunch and their attitude is highly contagious
Old 20th January 2013, 09:49 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlliumPorrum View Post
Well THAT sounds interesting!

But, can they really be so good with that wide frequency range? I think that requirements for playing well on 200hz are quite different that for playing well on 20khz... Since I'm going to use DEQX with digital 3-way crossovers, a 3- way setup would also be just fine.
I tried a 3-way with 10" woofers. It didn't sound as good as the RD-75 in a 2-way setup, crossed at 200 Hz.

The RD-75 is really a gem ... its width s small enough to work well at high frequencies, yet the entire membrane area is close to an 18" woofer, so 200 Hz is really not a problem either.
Old 23rd January 2013, 12:40 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 23rd January 2013, 12:53 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classdpwr View Post
Click the image to open in full size.
While I'd expect those to work rather well they're not dipoles.

You can't exploit dipole roll-off to get properly centered imaging across a three seat couch, side-wall reflections will be an issue with asymmetric placement, and you won't have the dipole modal behavior.
Old 23rd January 2013, 12:57 AM   #17
adason is offline adason  United States
diyAudio Member

Steinway Lyngdorf Model-D
Old 23rd January 2013, 12:59 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt View Post
You can't exploit dipole roll-off to get properly centered imaging across a three seat couch, side-wall reflections will be an issue with asymmetric placement, and you won't have the dipole modal behavior.
Oh that makes sense - thanks for the explanation!
Old 21st February 2013, 04:49 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I tried a 3-way with 10" woofers. It didn't sound as good as the RD-75 in a 2-way setup, crossed at 200 Hz.

The RD-75 is really a gem ... its width s small enough to work well at high frequencies, yet the entire membrane area is close to an 18" woofer, so 200 Hz is really not a problem either.
StigErik; do you know if RD-50 or RD-48 are also able to go well down to 200hz? I think that RD-75 would be a bit too long for my purposes.

Does anyone have experience on how these RD's would compare to the mid section of the 3.x Magneplanars?
Old 10th March 2013, 04:30 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

What I would look at carefully is the lower end of the midrange driver. Some (notably JK and SL) designs use a substantial midrange driver reaching right down to 100hz... This IMHO is a key requirement (especially important for dipole system).

Yes, you can add a sub/woofer system to an ESL or other bass challenged speaker, which sure takes care of bass below 100hz-ish .... but if the original midbass / lowermid driver doesn't have enough displacement (lots don't), then we may still have torture at 200hz (there's a lot of music @ 200hz IMO) ;-)

Obviously your target SPL will make this more or less of an issue.

EDIT: Re: RD-75, I don't have experience with such a driver (I would like to) ... so take the above with a "grain of salt" if you think I'm knocking RD75 and similar. Intuitively 200hz seems impressive to me for RD75.

Last edited by davewantsmoore; 10th March 2013 at 04:33 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!