Toroids for ESL's - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th December 2012, 12:47 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

jer I'm building a hydraulic table for tensioning the diaframs , I'll do a few test to find the absolute psi when the 6um self destructs
Old 30th December 2012, 01:00 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Cool!!

Put two reference marks on the mylar so that you can keep track of the percentage of stretch as well.

jer
Old 30th December 2012, 01:05 AM   #23
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

I'd be curious to see the higher frequency response of these, out into the ultrasonic so that one can tell what is really going on... I had a friend who got a pair of toroidal tube PP output iron and the HF response was abysmal. This was a highly touted brand too... so I am skeptical about any general purpose power iron being used at audio freqs.
Old 30th December 2012, 01:17 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Yes, I will check that as well, bear.

I know my own cores have an astronomical bandwidth with resonance bump at about 650Khz as tested here,

Step-up transformer design

I see signals from the local AM radio stations when I have my scope connected to them.
Sometimes it makes getting precise measuring with the scope set to it's highest sensitivity a hassle but I manage.

jer
Old 30th December 2012, 09:07 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieM View Post
I've been wondering about those AS-1206 transformers and what effect, if any, the shielding used between their windings might add. I don't have the capability to test and measure these transformers myself but I will buy and donate one to anyone here who could test them and post the results
Hello CharlieM,
I would be happy to test/measure the AS-1206 and compare results with the AN-506.
Let me know if interested, and I'll IM you a shipping address.
Old 30th December 2012, 09:29 PM   #26
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

jer,

I am unclear on your test setup.

You would need to drive the xfmr with an amp, and have an appropriate load on what would be the secondary to get close to a legitimate result.
Old 31st December 2012, 01:38 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolserst View Post
Hello CharlieM,
I would be happy to test/measure the AS-1206 and compare results with the AN-506.
Let me know if interested, and I'll IM you a shipping address.
Thanks for the offer but Jer replied first and I've already sent a 1206 transformer to him. It will be interesting to see the results.
Old 31st December 2012, 04:48 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Bear,
For that test all I had was my signal generator to use hooked up to a winding and my scope connected to another.
I don't remember off hand what windings I had used at the time but I think it was the two 120v windings so the signal was straight trough the transformer and isolated the to devices.

In the later tests were it should it to be starting to drop at about 18khz or so was actually later found out to be the response of the amplifier that I was using to drive it at the time.

Since then I have retrieved my bigger and better amps from Florida and was at the time I had not been on in a while.
They also have flatter low frequency response as well,
Although this is not as important as the peak saturation voltage as that is all that is needed to be known for that range.

jer

Last edited by geraldfryjr; 31st December 2012 at 04:51 AM.
Old 31st December 2012, 06:30 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Here are the original scope picture of the frequency response of my cores.
It is very flat and again the roll off at either end was found to be that of the amp itself.

Material for ESL

I don't know if I had taken any pictures of the square wave tests but they were the cleanest square waves that I have ever seen coming out of a piece iron up to this point up past 50khz to 100Khz or so.

If I do find any I will repost the links and I will also include them in the next tests as this give an excellent example of its High Frequency capability's.

jer
Old 31st December 2012, 12:13 PM   #30
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

See, that just doesn't make sense because it takes a lot of effort to make a standard audio transformer have a nominally flat response to 60-75kHz. To get one to go all the way to 100kHz or above is extraordinary and doesn't just randomly happen. Certainly not with your average toroidal power transformer. So, something is going on here that at least isn't exactly clear to me, i've tried to read through some of the linked posts but can't yet determine what was done that would account for the apparently extraordinary results.

Just to clarify, you are taking a step down stock power toroidal transformer and feeding the test signal into the 120vac primary and looking at the lower voltage output?? No load?

Hide this!Advertise here!