Magnat MP-02 Plasma Tweeters - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th November 2012, 09:42 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to georgehifi
Default Magnat MP-02 Plasma Tweeters

Hi, I hope we have some Germans here as I have picked up a pair of mint Magnat MP-02 plasma tweeters, and to give them a good tune up I need to be able to get this only adjustment sheet I could find translated by a tech.
Hope some one can help with good translation

Cheers George
Attached Images
File Type: gif Mpp02_a.gif (19.7 KB, 270 views)
File Type: gif Mpp02_s.gif (13.7 KB, 261 views)
File Type: gif Mpp02_st.gif (12.4 KB, 254 views)
Old 27th November 2012, 12:17 PM   #2
volkerw is offline volkerw  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default Translation

Trying to do my best...

Alignment procedure for MP-02

1) Check supply voltage of the plasma driver circuit:
Unscrew the flame shielding ball. Connect dc voltmeter between ground and input of R19. Voltage should be 28V at idle condition.
2) Test if (HF) oszillator is operating: insert flame electrode and re-attach shielding ball. Connect a frequency counter to R19 / T1 by using a 1K resistor (for decoupling). Assure that no ambient light is shining on the 'phototransistor' (i think this means FZ1) . Switch on the unit. Counter should read approx. 27.11Mhz.
3)Check HF-voltage at base-emitter resistor (R21) of transistor PT9783 (T3). If HF signal is existant, check if L7 (the large output resonator coil) has good connection to C25 and if the ignition circuit (solenoid) is working correct. The (opened) circuit can be switched on only under subdued ambient light. If the little neon bulb (GL1 at L6) glows, the output tank circuit is de-adjusted or there is no flame electrode inserted. Carefully adjust trim capacitor C28 towards lower capacity. When plasma flame ignites, adjust C28 to maximum flame size and just turn back until flame starts to decrease.
4) If unit still fails to operate, change power transistor PT9783. Besure not to twist the transistor case while mounting. Use thermal compound for mounting. Observe that the transistor 2SC1306 has to be reinserted with isolation. After changing transistor, proceed alignment as layed out at 3.)
Old 27th November 2012, 12:34 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I remember that circuit as it is basically a CB transmiter at a very high power level.
I have had a few RF amplifiers back in the day that used the PT9783 and they are very rare to find.
And when found very expensive.

Semiconductor: PT9783 (PT 9783) - TRANSISTOR ASI - US$ Site

A single transistor outputs about 50 watts,

PT9783 datasheet and application note, data sheet, circuit, pdf, cross reference | Datasheet Archive

Since they were in 12 volt circuits I could use a MRF454 or MRF455 to replace them with.

http://www.macomtech.com/datasheets/mrf454.pdf

http://www.macomtech.com/datasheets/mrf455.pdf

But your circuit is at 28v and there is a MRF number for that voltage range only I don't know it off hand.

I can find it out for you if find that it is faulty.

FWIW

jer

Last edited by geraldfryjr; 27th November 2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old 28th November 2012, 09:48 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the translation volkerw, mine are working fine, it's just that I'd like to have this as backup if needed.
Is this a translation as seen by a technician? As to be 100% safe this is needs to be translated by a tech fluent in German, your translation while good has me tilting my head at some of the proceedures.

Cheers George
Old 3rd December 2012, 12:58 PM   #5
volkerw is offline volkerw  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hello George,

"Is this a translation as seen by a technician?" - yes it is. While my english might not be the best, i tried to translate the text as verbatim as possible. It is really written this way and my head got tilted too at some points while reading the original instructions, so i added some explanational comments in paranthesises. I think the most valuable part of the manual is how to tune the the capacitor of the tank circuit and the procedure described is correct ( i tested it on my pair of MP02s years ago and it worked fine).
Regards,
Volker
Old 4th December 2012, 12:24 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Great, thanks Volker

Cheers George

Hide this!Advertise here!