ESL's for VST piano reproduction

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
a small Karlson cabinet such as K12 (24.5" x 16.75" x13.75" deep) or the Acoustic Control 115BK (27" by 20.5" x13.5" deep sans wing inset) topped with a diy K-tube tweeter made like the Transylvania Power product and modest priced compression driver might sound pretty good and better than CD horn/direct radiators. (I'd want the keyboard part as light as possible)

My design for a baby piano full range planar speaker is taking shape in my minds eye. Just a matter of hoping for some nice weather so I can cut the MDF soundboard. I have about 1400 neo magnets 25 x 6 x 3 mm, which I purchased in a sale. This should be enough! Still a few more finer details to finalize in my mind. If it's still working well!!

baby piano planar +

MDF cut, last rebuild (big one) and A4 size finished to pair the other one with the epsilon layout same impedance and sensitivity.:hohoho::mad::D Have a happy Xmas all.

Attachments

• SAM_0451.JPG
    SAM_0451.JPG
    357.7 KB · Views: 74
  • SAM_0452.JPG
    SAM_0452.JPG
    380.6 KB · Views: 80
  • SAM_0447.JPG
    SAM_0447.JPG
    467.8 KB · Views: 70
  • SAM_0448.JPG
    SAM_0448.JPG
    413.4 KB · Views: 73
  • SAM_0449.JPG
    SAM_0449.JPG
    405.8 KB · Views: 72
  • SAM_0450.JPG
    SAM_0450.JPG
    389.1 KB · Views: 37
  • SAM_0453.JPG
    SAM_0453.JPG
    399.8 KB · Views: 33
Just got to sort out perforated sheet and place magnets on the sheet, then fix the 3 diaphragms in place and finalize the shape and put on 3 feet.Will use game setting on ONKYO Amp, as this uses 3 speakers which is just right for piano. If not will sort out something else. Can't wait to play some solo piano music thro' this set up, wish me luck for a good outcome.

wow listen to all the doubters (more the first couple pages), some of the most critical of whom quite clearly (sreten) have no idea of where this technology is at these days...

do I know of any double blind tests carried out? no, but then I havent looked, but I do know that these modeled pianos are pretty awesome nowdays, they use a mixture of thousands of well miked high bandwidth/bitdepth samples of very good pianos and acoustic modelling of the spaces and resonances, including that of sympathetic undamped strings etc. its pretty damn convincing.

@sreten: velocity sensitive weighted keyboards with aftertouch have been around for decades and ivory II has 18 velocity layers that you can apply to various elements of the model... i'll tell you right now, you have listened to music you thought was a real piano already, but it wasnt.

the kontakt Alicia keys is not bad at all either, but I favor synthology ivory II check the performances, some are pretty decent. do remember its not high bitrate mp3, keep that in mind

now to build the amps and speakers to match the quality is another thing, for recording I would probably start with headphones

Is anyone considering that the OP may also be wanting to use this for recording? often you get multiple models and you can then I suppose mix them on the one keyboard if you so desire. but the kicker here is, you get several of the worlds most revered pianos, recorded in ideal acoustical spaces, or dry for you to add your own reverb and its recorded with precision and the best microphones by skilled engineers, most people cannot hope to attain that for their recordings even if they have a real piano, so the final result is excellent, as long as the performance is good.

the VSTs are probably ahead of the electronic pianos these days IMO ivory for example, with the 3 models is 77GB

do they relegate pianos to the past? of course not, but for those who live in the real non-ideal world it can easily be a better option

Last edited:
Not much of a true dialog going on here.

Anybody who posts a link and says to me, "See, now doesn't that sound exactly like a piano?" really is clueless about what I mean by "sounds like a piano.. even down the hall."

Likewise, I must be entirely clueless about why anybody would devise a speaker in roughly the shape of a piano and think it ought to have a piano-like sound to it.

About PERFECT sampling of the sound of a piano: yes it can be perfect. But nothing excites a room like a piano except a similar piano. Which is why a stereo system never sounds enough like a piano to fool anybody (but those with commercial tie-ins), not even down the hall. Granted, a simulation can be good enough that nobody ever thinks you are simulating anything but a piano, Alicia Keys's piano (whoever she is) or anybody.

Let me add a further bit of koan in here. There are brief times I might confuse one woodwind for another. But that is a lot more common than confusing a speaker for my wife practicing her violin (which even briefly is almost never).

BTW, you need to prove your powers of discrimination are up to the task before you claim a simulation is no different than reality.

Ben

Last edited:
It's my hobby it's what I do, I do not expect anything, just enjoy building it. But I am usually very happy with the sound depending on the source amp and speakers. I could spend hours just tuning my amp to get better sound, with different music sources amps and speaker. Everything changes as you play different music, sources, amps and speakers. Being happy with what you have built is the best reward you can ask for.!! After all this is a DIY Forum when all is said and done, and you don't have to be a so called expert to enjoy it. We can't all be electronic engineers can we? It's all about thinking and trying and enjoying the process and the final results of your endeavours. Keep building everyone. Power to DIY.

Fished first location of magnets 2 more to go, then fitting and building the diaphragms, putting the legs on and hooking up my amp. Playing some solo piano music, sitting back and enjoying the wonderful experience. Whether or not it follows completely the experience of listening to a real piano on the back row or the front row or the sides or in the Gods.The beauty of the music and the soloist is all that matters to me. I enjoy all types of music thro' my system. As I have said before it all depends on the recording, the source, the Amp, the room the position of speakers the floorboards the height of the ceiling, the size of the room, your location, the temperature etc, etc.To get everything correct is impossible unless you spend an absolute fortune on your overall systems, and all the different impossible parameters, this would require. So stop moaning and enjoy what you have!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.