Help with valuation pair of Maggie's - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th November 2012, 11:12 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Help with valuation pair of Maggie's

I just came across a pair of new in box NOS MG-1 Maggie's. Never taken out of the inner plastic. Just wondering what these would be worth. They are the original first production of the MG-1 so they are old but otherwise in perfect condition. Anyone help me decide on what I should be able to sell or buy these for? I think I can get then for $200 and am thinking they are at least worth that but probably a bit more. Ideas, suggestions?
Thanks,
Jeff
Old 7th November 2012, 09:50 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I would think somewhere between $200 and $300.
Old 7th November 2012, 12:28 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

The MG-1 model goes back quite a way, you will want to look at the panels carefully to assure that the bonding of the conductors to the membranes is intact, as I believe the de-bonding of these wires is as much time related as usage.

If things look good and they are otherwise intact then the fair price might be $400 or so...if not and they need refurbishing then much lower.
Old 7th November 2012, 12:34 PM   #4
tyu is offline tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

Last pr i got of Mg1s...$10.us...there over 30years old an to send back to Magnepan to be re-wired well cost $7-800.us...i would pass...the Wire is not New...The MMgs new are only $600...Useds...$3-400.goodluck
Old 7th November 2012, 02:06 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I have an update on these....correction, they are not BNIB but rather "like BNIB"....a big difference for sure....but from what I have now read what I know now os probaly even better than BNIB. These were sent back to the factory for refurbishing and rewiring 10-12 years ago and have remained in the box and factory repackaging since. So, not new but sent back to be fixed a while back and sat stored and unused since. I think that makes them probably worth a bit more...chances are they perform properly with ten year old "new" wires. Since last night I sent a message to BIL telling him $250 so I am in them for $250 regardless. Hopefully they are as described and factory reworked. He sent me pics of them in the boxes with all the factory plastic wrapping and from what I can tell they do appear pristine. Anyone know what the freq response and sensitivity of these were?
Old 7th November 2012, 02:31 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Here You have an almost complete list of Magnepan models.
Speaker differences

So, 50Hz - 16kHz as it seams.
Old 7th November 2012, 02:33 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

From a consumer perspective, having been serviced does not really add to their value...
Especially since you do not know what happened to them and what was fixed...

If you are thinking about it as a potential speaker for your system, then I would suggest trying to get a used MMG or something for a bit more.
From an "investment" perspective, I don t think anyone would buy them, again because one can get the MMGs for a bit more....
So either way, my opinion would be to pass...
Old 7th November 2012, 02:53 PM   #8
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

If you pass, I'd grab them in a second.
Old 7th November 2012, 04:17 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Pass is off the table, as said, I am in them for $250. As my BIL understands they were rewired...which I take to mean all the old aluminum conductive element was replace on both....I wonder if anyone ever added any super tweeters to these. I have a few Neo3 that I was thinking I might slip under the sock somehow and extend the upper range a bit....maybe even set them ontop or off to the sides...who knows....
Old 7th November 2012, 04:19 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

You may have room on the sides depending on how the frame is made on these.

Hide this!Advertise here!