Help with valuation pair of Maggie's - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th November 2012, 04:54 PM   #11
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I had the later MG1.4, and MG1.6QR - you'll enjoy these and got them for a reasonable price. The factory rebuild essentially replaces the diaphragm and all related components except the frame, magnets, and XO so if stored reasonably well you should be good to go.. Good score IMO.. Enjoy! The HF extension while not as good as the later models should be pretty good, and I would suspect you may have trouble integrating other tweeters with the Maggies - you may not need to do anything.
Old 7th November 2012, 07:40 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Oh and keep in mind that with 82db and 5ohms you will need a serious amplfier to make them sing
Old 7th November 2012, 08:09 PM   #13
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I ran mine with 60W tube monoblocks and they were barely adequate. A large Hafler transistor amp did considerably better.

Damn, I'm feeling nostalgic.
Old 7th November 2012, 08:53 PM   #14
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

A big Hafler and a pair of Maggies is a great combo, for sure.
Old 7th November 2012, 09:03 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I ran my 1.7s with a VS110 ARC... it was barely.... nah... it was not adequate at all...

Maggies need many and good watts... big txs , big regs, big banks, big transistors....
Old 7th November 2012, 10:40 PM   #16
tyu is offline tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

I had the 1.7... an moved out of them in 6weeks... Thay did not sound good with tubes are any amp 100- 500watts....this was when that frist came out i thought maybe thay were a dud pr....but some like the sound...gofigg
I have had 5-6pr of Magnepans over a 30years... an have now the MG3a...Mg2.5rs...MG2c...Krell 100 or sunfire 300 will drive any of them... but....7s weard...goodluck
Old 8th November 2012, 12:16 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

The 1.7 are a great match for my Electrocompaniet 120AW DMB. Very very nice.
And their breaking in period was really really long... 6 weeks were definetely not enough to get them to their full potential. Not even close...
Old 8th November 2012, 02:33 AM   #18
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

As I posted on other thread - A'gon says $360 Average - $450 High, $240 low, and last was $390.

For $250 ($50 profit for BIL) I say go for it...

I prefer the MGIIIa over the MGI (who wouldn't) and I have seen some MGIIIa for $350....
Old 8th November 2012, 09:53 AM   #19
tyu is offline tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

All are on board with your $$...An Know nos if thay even worK!....good luck
Old 26th December 2012, 03:22 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Well I brought them home today, it has been a long wait. They have been at my BIL's since I bought them and we just went down there for the holidays. They are literrally pristine. The original box show it's age but inside they look like a brand new pair. I had a chance to final talk with the original owner and got the scoop on them. They were sent back to the factory about 10 years ago to get rewired. A couple of the wires went bad so they were completely overhauled by the factory. They were re-sealed in the factory plastic bags and put back into a new box and sent back to him where they immediately went into an upstairs closet and sat unused until now. They have been store climate controlled and in an upright position the entire time. The frames and socks look new from what I can see through the plastic. We just drove a what usually takes four hours....in eight, through a blizzard in north TX and SW OK....I am beat and thankful we made it in one piece (tons of ditched cars and wrecks everywhere)...going to bed now...will hook them up tomorrow and see how they sound. Will be using a Parasound HCA1000 to test them, will let y'all know if they still work.

I can tell you right now my wife ABHORs these things, I can't stress that word enough....she couldn't believe I would waste precious room in the Tahoe to bring them back...I will probably end up selling them after I have listened to them for a couple weeks. I will probably redo the XO with some decent poly caps too. So, of you are not too far from OK these might soon be over at the swap meet. I will post a link here if they go up for sale.

Thanks for all the input here and merry Chrstmas to everyone!
Jeff

Hide this!Advertise here!