Linear motion transformer - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th October 2012, 02:31 AM   #1
luigi is offline luigi  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Default Linear motion transformer

Something a bit new, the Linear Motion Transformer from Swiss company Rowen.
ROWEN - Linear Motion Transformer - LMT

The company also has a four-octaves midrange.
ROWEN - 4 octaves midrange driver

From the 6moons site, a bit of bumph on the LMT
Swiss Rowen electronics and speaker brand introduces a new mid/treble transducer called LMT. Unlike air-motion transformers, the LMT doesn't work with diaphragm surface deformation. "A completely linear-motion cellulose membrane without mechanical suspension is driven from four powerful neodymium magnets with a combined pull power of 140kg and an embedded but not fixed twin voice coil. This driver covers 5 octaves. The physical shape of the membrane limits activation in the longitudinal direction and there is no mechanical transmission to moving parts."

Anyone have any addition information on or experience with this?
Old 17th October 2012, 01:35 AM   #2
dheming is offline dheming  United States
diyAudio Member

Seems pretty interesting, especially if it's an actual sonic improvement over all the driver types they mention on the 6Moons blurb. Any idea on price and availability?
Old 17th October 2012, 02:07 AM   #3
luigi is offline luigi  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Nope and nope, no idea. Guessing they probably wont make it available for DIY either. And if so, likely to be expensivo, especially as it's Swiss.

Not that I've asked any of these questions. Seems to me as though it is a development of the AMT, though I'm no engineer. Looks to be dipole though.
Old 18th October 2012, 09:03 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

More info here:A new tweeter is born! Linear Motion Technology (LMT)

Bernt
Old 18th October 2012, 09:23 AM   #5
dheming is offline dheming  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for that link. So if there is no mechanical suspension what holds the diaphragm centered?
Old 18th October 2012, 03:18 PM   #6
Bazukaz is offline Bazukaz  Lithuania
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Bazukaz
"As to the LMT tech itself, it uses NATURAL not synthetic material and extensive testing (3 years) bears out the superiority of this approach. It runs dipole, but is damped at the back and sound tunnelled back to the front of the speaker. It is very fast like the AMT drivers and you hear this in piano reproduction, but he claims that the extra advantage is that there is no material coloration from using synthetic material like Mylar or Kapton."

Sounds like an advertisement of a new form of "Ecologal" product. Soon we will start to see automobile tires made of wood and being advertised not having "synthetic softness" of rubber...
Old 18th October 2012, 03:45 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I have tried to find a patend to see how the suspension is made.I did not find it,but saw another with magnetic oil.
Is there anyone who could find the patend for that??

Bernt
Old 18th October 2012, 04:51 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

got any drawings or pictures of the working parts? Looks like it could be a Lineaum type driver. Best regards Moray James.
Old 18th October 2012, 05:19 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

ROWEN - Linear Motion Transformer - LMTIf you look at the movie at the bottom of the page you will se it.
Old 20th October 2012, 10:14 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Something new! As far as I can see from that video the membrane is a half of a cardboard cylinder which is attached to the front grid by a longitudinal foam strip. The longitudinal voice coil is attached to the edges of this half cylinder.
So I can not understand some their claims: no mechanical suspension and no surface deformation.
I played around with a similar concept some years ago but my problem was surface deformation and resulting resonances.
It would be very interesting to understand more about this wide frequency transducer including how it is suspended and also see some measurements!

Hide this!Advertise here!